Refer Expense

Discussion in 'John Christner' started by Aminal, May 27, 2014.

1. Aminal

Aminal Heavy Load Member

Hi. This seems to be pretty cool forum. I'm very seriously considering doin the L/P thing and looking at different companies. I know about all the standard caveats but I've been at this game more than a couple trips and I think I can make a good L/P work for me and then get into the better money aspects after I have title to an asset and a bunch of reserve capital banked during the lease. All in all it still pays more than I net as a good company driver. Not a heck of a lot but enough to make the long term benefit of owning the truck definitely worth it for me.

My questions is are inn regards to me not having a single day experience with refers. I've done a pretty fair bit of grocery warehouses pulling a dry box and heard some chatter amongst refer drivers but I have no experience. Willing to learn if I decide to go that route but I have a couple of concerns regarding refer and L/P:

Wait time at docks. It was pretty unusual for me to go to any grocery place and not be there several hours waiting to load and unload. How's that with the majority of JCT freight? I'd think most everything in a refer would be live. Hard to imagine running a refer on a drop lot.

Speaking of docks: I have heard of "dock fees" in the produce sector and the company always paid lumpers fees as a company driver. I'm pretty sure they wouldn't in a L/P type operation.

Stupid question but; I assume the company pays for the refer fuel? Maybe not though.

How about freight claims for when a refer goes out and even though you jump on it timely and get it to a shop before the temp gets too off; but then the shop doesn't get it repaired timely and all the ice cream melts (or whatever). How's that work?

Speaking of that, I'm sure there's times you need a washout; I'm guessing that would come out of the lessee's cut.

Thanks for any info.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Treputt

Treputt Medium Load Member

Mar 15, 2013
    Sacramento, CA
    JCT pays for all trailer washouts, reefer fuel, lumper fees, trailer/trailer tire repair, and as long as there is no neglect on the driver's part, will foot the bill for freight loss due to reefer malfunction.

As far as wait times...a pretty standard wait time for loading/unloading is 2 hours. Sometimes you'll get out of there sooner, and sometimes later (sometimes MUCH later..IE meat/poultry loads). Although a great majority of loads/unloads are live, on occasion you'll get a pre-loaded trailer.

Running reefer is a piece of cake. A lot of times the loads are heavy, so you'll do good to manage your MPG's...and once you get used to the reefer engine running, you'll sleep like a baby.

Hope that answers a few of your questions.

4. Aminal

Aminal Heavy Load Member

It does. Thank you. It appears that there really is no additional expense just because it's a refer with JCT. I will continue to dig deeper. I perused the website and so far I like this better than others. I do want to dig further. Staying rolling and maintenance escrow are two concerns also. I have heard some chatter about not being able to get what you put into the maintenance escrow back at the end of some leases. It's more like purchasing some type of company sponsored warranty. The website wasn't real clear on that. Is JCT's like that or it a true escrow and when you complete the lease it's all yours if you leave. Thanks again and I'll quit bugging y'all. It's just that a driver will generally shoot straighter with another driver than a recruiter might.

5. wonderdog24

wonderdog24 Medium Load Member

Mar 1, 2012
    Puyallup,Wa
    2 hours wait time is pretty common????? More like 4-6 hours on average-What sort of pay do you get for detention after 2 hours???

6. Treputt

Mar 15, 2013
    Sacramento, CA
    No matter how many question marks you add, yea...2 hours is pretty common. If you had read my post, you would have seen that I said loads/unloads are sometimes longer than 2 hours, sometimes shorter. Case in point, earlier today I was unloaded and out the gate at my delivery in about 45 minutes. Is that the norm? No. But neither is 4-6 hours on average.

@Aminal....JCT will refund all of the funds in your maintenance account as well as the performance bond AFTER the truck is returned to them in a like condition as you got it (minus general wear and tear). Meaning if it needs tires, a PM, a windshield, etc, etc...and it didn't need those when you signed for it, then yes expect JCT to require those items to be taken care of when you walk away from the lease. It's in the contract that you sign what items will need to be in order, and the cost deducted from your maintenance account should you have the shop do it when you turn your truck in. In short...yea it's your money and you get it back.

7. Aminal

Aminal Heavy Load Member

Thanks Treputt. You do get to do the $1 buyout at the end of the lease and own it though. Your reference made perfect sense if you don't complete the lease. Gotta put it back like it was when you leased it. Certainly fair and totally understandable. I'm coming away from your posts, though with it being a true escrow, when you buy the truck out (complete the lease - is the $1 thing for real??) it's all yours and if you leave before you own the truck and turn it in or I suppose re-lease something newer (in which case I would think you would just be starting over, truck payments probably don't carry over); they put her back up to their spec and charge the expense against the escrow and the balance is yours. Thanks aqain. I think I'm ready to fill out the online app and talk to a recruiter. How did you find the recruiters (realizing you work for these folks so you have to be PC). You know; some are like used car salesmen telling you anything just to get you to orientation figuring that anything you find out different won't matter as you will have already made the commitment. Others are brutally honest and if anything underplay things and you are pleasantly surprised when you get to orientation. How was your experience with recruiter versus like it is? Thanks again.

8. Treputt

Mar 15, 2013
    Sacramento, CA
    I understand your hesitation regarding recruiters. When recruiters are paid to put butts in the orientation seat, yea it's hard to know where the BS ends and the truth begins. When I applied, I had already spoken to literally dozens of current and former JCT drivers about their experience, so any info I got from my recruiter was already covered.

As far as the $1 buyout, yes it's real. Although I'm sure a great many JCT drivers never make it through to the dollar buyout, there are plenty that do. JCT regularly posts drivers pictures with their new title in hand on their Facebook page...should you care to look that up.

Finally, I'll leave you a few pros vs. cons with JCT. It should be stated, however obvious it may be, that these are my observations....other JCT drivers, past or present may see things different.

Pros:
    - Length of runs. The majority of all our loads are greater than 1000 miles. In fact, it's quite rare to get any load less than that. This means more time in the seat, less time twiddling your thumbs at shippers/receivers.
    - Equipment for the most part is top notch. I got a new '14 Cascadia, and have no complaints.
    - Pretty much all the staff at JCT (there are a few exceptions) treat you like you matter. Especially the planners. You run hard and help them, and you will be taken care of.
    - Pay isn't bad, considering the end goal of paying off a truck. Could I make more CPM as a company driver somewhere else? Sure. Same could be said for outright owning my own truck. But all in all, I make pretty good money with JCT as it is now.
    - Pretty much every expense short of truck payment, maintenance, and fuel is covered by JCT. As I said earlier, they cover all trailer and freight related charges, all tolls and scales, as well well as fuel taxes, pre-pass/ezpass...all covered.

Cons:
    - Although hometime is usually handled properly, there are a few instances of JCT not getting drivers home on the day they've requested. It really boils down to putting your foot down, and professionally explaining to JCT that your hometime date is not a suggestion.
    - Our ancient Qualcomms suck....lol.
    - The orientation process is quick...some may say too quick. So it's good to have other drivers to lean on for info as you may leave orientation with a lot of questions.

As I said, those are my observations. Hope this helps answer a few more of your questions :)

Aminal Thanks this.
  9. Aminal

Aminal Heavy Load Member

Thanks Treputt. I sincerely appreciate your frankness and candor responding to my "first brush strokes" of my due diligence process. At the end of the day; business is business and you are partnered in business with another business in this L/P L/O, O/O, True Independent game. So if you wind up shiny side down and you didn't do appropriate due diligence; who ya got to blame for being wheels to the sky? Right. Thanks a bunch for the input. I wish you much luck and success. Be safe out there.

PS. Dig the Star of Life avatar. Did the FF/Paramedic gig for 12 years before going into trucking. Lots of bad venues and stories to tell there. Some people don't get my adamant adherence to Safety stuff, but they never had to clean up the disaster after and go back to the station and change outta a blood soaked uniform from kids just riding in a car seat when all hell broke loose on the highway; so I forgive them. Mile in my boots kinda thing. They just don't know and I hope they never have to.

PPS. I broke out some powdered water to make my instant coffee with this morning. I was gonna microwave a quick brew but I didn't know what to add to the powdered water. Turned out to be a good thing. I might have wound up back in the future and REALLY confused about how stuff worked(s). LOL.

Have a good one. As it stands now I'm about 75% sold on going w/ JCT.

Treputt Thanks this.
  10. Steel Tiger

Steel Tiger Road Train Member

Jun 6, 2012
    Orlando, FL
    I agree with about 98% of this.
    I've been here 5 years and missed my home time date ONCE, and that was by 1 day.

Qualcomm? Its just a means of getting your load info. The only newer version of the QUALCOMM that I am aware of is the mini one with the slide out keyboard and GPS system. Most drivers already have their own GPS.

Yes, they pay for EVERYTHING here except truck payment, truck fuel, insurances, and maintenance to the truck. All permits, tolls, scales, lumpers, pallets, washouts, IFTA, 2290, etc......everything is paid for by JCT. If you have to go out of route to scale, washout, or even return to a customer due to weight issues, they will pay you those miles (you must request this; its not automatic).

One of the great things here at JCT is the support system. Between office personnel and drivers, its extremely hard to fail. They have 2 full time people here that do nothing but help drivers with their business and issues (miles, shop costs, etc.) No one person knows everything, but if you want to succeed at anything, you must ask questions and learn from people that are successful here.

Length of haul should never be an issue when looking for a place to pull freight. Whether you get 5 500 mile trips, 2 1200 miles trips, or 1 2500 mile trip. Its the same number of miles. More trips may chew up your 70 hour clock, but everyone needs a little break now and then. IT IS NOT NECCESSARY TO RUN 3000+ MILES TO BE PROFITABLE. You can bring home the same amount of money with 1800 miles. It all depends on your business practices (fuel strategy, being the most important). Your time management, and yes, even your level of cooperation when the company needs help.

Now, don't get me wrong. JCT has issues, just like any other company. Those issues will vary for each driver simply because every driver has different needs/requirements. There WILL be times that they totally piss you off. It happens. Move on.

Hope this helps a little more :biggrin_255:

MachoCyclone, crxdc and damonarnold816 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.