Refinacing a currently leased truck

Discussion in 'Trucker Taxes and Truck Financing' started by Singular_Lupus, Apr 29, 2020.

1. Singular_Lupus

Singular_Lupus Bobtail Member

Feb 3, 2015
    Mobile, Al
    I'm looking to refinance the 2018 FL Cascadia I have to lower the monthly payments. It's a SFI lease that i've been paying on since October '17 at a rate of $858 a week. The current payoff is $72K. I'm looking to hopefully lower it down to roughly $1K to $1500 a month versus the $4-5K a month current. I don't work for Schneider though. I currently work for Mercer. I have good credit and no current debts besides a normal amount on a small credit card which I pay on. At most, I can down pay $2k, but I'd rather zero at the moment because savings are low since I just dropped $4200 on maintenance out of pocket. I have a Letter of Credit and a Payoff Letter.

So, who do y'all recommend I should be talking to?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    Right now paccar and Daimler are crying poor.

I don't know what rate you have at Schneider but they may be cheaper.

The other thing is, at the moment your truck isn't worth $72K.

Here's a real life example-

I just ground Inland KW down on a truck, and the best they will do is 7% interest.

It should be 3%.

That's with epic credit, and plenty of coin in the bank.

I would definitely suggest you try your bank.

If you don't have a business account already, start one.

G13Tomcat and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  4. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    I don’t know how long a term you can find. Being a 2018, is an advantage. It’s going to have to be at least 60 mos. Never know what each Bank has funds available for right now. I did almost exactly what you’re trying to do, in 2001, on a 99 Truck. Paid 72k, and refinanced it one year later, at Chase Bank. Shortly thereafter, they stopped all Truck loans for a few years. Then came back with a closed end lease program. Just never know what you’ll come up with. Better hurry and call around. I’m expecting financing to tighten up, as repos start rolling in.

Dave_in_AZ Thanks this.
  5. Singular_Lupus

Feb 3, 2015
    Mobile, Al
    I'm just going off the Payoff Letter.

Current mileage on the truck is 260K-ish.

I've talked to a bank i've had an auto loan with before and they won't go over $57K

I'm a sole proprietor. Do banks allow a S/P to open business accounts?

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  6. Rideandrepair

Aug 8, 2015
    Absolutely, though Truck loan is usually still guaranteed by your personal credit

Dave_in_AZ Thanks this.
  7. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    You'll need a business license more than likely. Unless you're an LLC, then you need to take your corporate papers with you.

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  8. Rideandrepair

Aug 8, 2015
    I’m getting calls and emails from the usual suspects. Ascension and others. Be very careful dealing with these 3 rd party Lenders. They will approve you, and claim a low rate. Usually a lease structured loan, with first and last pymts. due at closing. $1.00 buyouts etc. I Use an auto loan calculator on Bankrate.com. Put their pymt #s in and play around with the % rate till the #s match up. Then you’ll see the real % rate. Usually over 20%. You may be able to find a deal, that’s not best, but can help, lower pymts. and with the ability to pay it off early, essentially lowering your real % rate. Watch for pre payment penalties, and other hidden fees. Might still be of help, but you need to understand exactly what it’s costing vs. current costs.

alds Thanks this.
  9. Singular_Lupus

Feb 3, 2015
    Mobile, Al
    SFI won't be able to refinance until the current lease is ended.

10. I glide 47

I glide 47 Road Train Member

Jun 3, 2017
    Never lease purchase no never never never lease purchase no never never never lease purchase no never never never lease purchase no never never never lease purchase no never never never lease purchase no never did I say never never

alds and Scooter HBG Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.