Refusing a back.

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Brandson, Apr 25, 2015.

1. superflow

superflow Road Train Member

Jan 2, 2014
    My favorite answer is:..." Other drivers don't have a problem " .... My response is :... " I could care less what other drivers do" .. It's your CDL you do what you want to do with it, if you tear something up trying to get in that dock, it's going to be on you and you alone, that means your company will hold you accountable for it and it will be on your record
    .... Do the best you can without messing your record up even if it takes you long time to get that monster in there inch by inch.... And if you still can't do it "tell em so"
    ... It's better to save your driving record than it is to deliver that load... You can always get another job as long as you keep that CDL clean

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ncmickey

ncmickey Road Train Member

Jun 21, 2013
    Durham NC
    I'm not a great backer yet... But better and better....The first time I backed down here it took 45 minutes and I almost cried. The second time took 4 minutes...
    View attachment 83111

I had a back the other day where a driver told me I should drop my trailer and let the yard dog back it in. I thought I could get it.... And did. A little confidence goes a long way...
    Then I'll go to the back row at a truck stop and there will be a dozen open spots and I'll look like an imbecile trying to get it in... A wide open spot...
    A little humility is good too

Brandson and Mike2633 Thank this.
  4. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    Your attachment is invalid as I figured it would be.Can't remember why but those type of attachments are always invalid.Maybe if ya can,post a pic of that back.At trk stops id do the same thing,find an open spot in the back.Why try hard backing if you don't have to.

5. ncmickey

ncmickey Road Train Member

Jun 21, 2013
    Durham NC
    image.jpg
    Is that better??
    I hate loading pics to this site... I can see it just fine...

6. PackRatTDI

PackRatTDI Licensed to Ill

Jul 15, 2006
    El Chuco, Tejas
    When I was working for my old employer, I was doing a live unload at a customer in the NE part of El Paso. It was a load of peanuts. Normally you dropped the trailer and the yard dog put it in the dock. But this time they were behind and I was told if I could dock it myself, I'd get unloaded faster.

The yard dog showed me where.

[​IMG]

Challenge accepted.

There was no room to turn around so i had to back in off the street, through the gate, around two dropped trailers in the docks to the left and into the dock on the far right next to that little wall.

My boss came by to get some paperwork and couldn't believe I had made it in. [emoji4]

7. Shaggy

Shaggy Road Train Member

Sep 21, 2006
    FIGMO
    Whomever desk jockey designed that garbage needs to do it them self 50 times Noon and Midnight and all weather conditions. That's on the fence of shooting the designer in the head or throat punching the person who approved it.

skyviper73, Mike2633, ncmickey and 2 others Thank this.
  8. Pedigreed Bulldog

Pedigreed Bulldog Road Train Member

May 7, 2011
    If you're refusing to get backed into the dock because "it's too hard", then apparently "every idiot at the truck stop" CAN'T do the job!

I've never been unable to get my truck & trailer anywhere the customer needed me to go in order to get loaded or unloaded. Been places with a T/T that would've been tough with a straight truck...just got to look things over, develop a plan, and make it happen. Of course it helps if you know what you're doing...

Shaggy, flyingmusician and HalpinUout Thank this.
  9. passingthru69

passingthru69 Road Train Member

I do heavy haul, so we really don't back into docks so to speak, But trying to make turns with a trailer stretched is kinda fun.
    Been to several places we look at the turns and say it ain't happening. Why not is the reply.
    I was at one place years ago and they wanted myself and the other guy to back into a door.. Ok I'm out stepping it off and then stepping off the length of our units.

I go in and say this will not work. Well why not other trks. make it in there.
    So I take him outside and grab the taper measure.
    I stand at the door and tell him to walk to the wall with the tape.. Ok what do you have. I got 58'
    Ok lets go to the trks. Front to back, what you got. 79'
    Ok explain to me how 79 is going into 58 of space. Oh now what do we do.
    I then explain let's clear out the other bay and we can get backed into that one.

Shaggy, MJ1657 and peterbilt_2005 Thank this.
  10. Shaggy

Shaggy Road Train Member

Sep 21, 2006
    FIGMO
    Congratulations, You win the common sense award! Seriously others don't do drivers side back ,Scared of backing 400 feet? :biggrin_25523:

11. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    I remember you posted that backing awhile back.Ya it doesn't look fun at all.

ncmickey Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.