Refusing to drive a truck with serious safety issues.

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by wa6ems, Nov 29, 2021.

1. GreaseRagTom

GreaseRagTom Bobtail Member

Oct 31, 2021
    North Florida
    I think they are making it mandatory standard equipment so as you drive, and make reports of issues, the engineers can fine tune before fully automated self driving is released. It may not happen for 50 years, maybe it’ll begin in 10. Most don’t think it will ever happen but if I told you 30 years ago EVERYONE will have palm sized computers we can carry in our pockets and speak commands to in order to call/FaceTime someone on the other side of the planet, take pictures, record and send locations, etc you’d say that’ll never happen. But here we are. The responsible drivers will suffer as guinea pigs but those that aren’t may have their ### saved and potential lives. Maybe now would be a good time to look into the wrecker/rotator bidness.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Pamela1990

Pamela1990 Road Train Member

Nov 7, 2021
    B.C. Canada
    All of that automated system crap fails when you head to the north with it. My uncle bought 5 brand new GMC pickups for his company. Well he ditched one while it was just days old because it slammed on the brakes in an icy turn. What ensued was a legal battle with GM, who finally took them back, and refunded his money. He replaced them with Rams.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2021
  4. Allow Me.

Allow Me. Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

May 28, 2009
    Rancho Mirage, Ca.
    yeah drove a rental car with that set-up. It braked automatically when a dog ran down the road ! I hated it

Capacity and Pamela1990 Thank this.
  5. aussiejosh

aussiejosh Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2009
    Airlie Beach QLd
    That is a major safety issue anything that can cause harm to you or other road users should automatically mean the truck should be taken off the road to fix the issue. You have every right to refuse to drive a vehicle that presents a risk to yourself and other road users. Perhaps the threat of massive law suits if something potentially were to happen may sway the thinking of some of your employers and this is the point I would try and get across to them..

Pamela1990 Thanks this.
  6. Ffx95

Ffx95 Road Train Member

May 18, 2017
    That’s why I don’t run cruise control anymore. Our trucks are governed low anyhow so my foot is the cruise control. Fuel pedal overrides the collision avoidance system on the t680s.

Pamela1990 Thanks this.
  7. Studebaker Hawk

Studebaker Hawk Road Train Member

Oct 18, 2010
    NW Indiana
    Here is the issue with any of these systems.
    They work best when they are brand new, and all of the parts of the systems are brand new. Brakes, Tires, drums, adjustment, wiring.
    As time goes on, various parts of the system, excessive clearances in the braking system( automatic slack adjusters not working, imagine that) corroded wiring that give intermittent signals, poorly trained mechanics who are unable to diagnose and repair these systems all contribute to them working erratically.

But here is by far the biggest issue. In order for any of these braking systems to work as designed, all 10 wheel ends have to be up to spec.
    Well, we know from experience the tractor may get some attention occasionally in a maintenance program, but the trailers? So the brakes may work great on the tractor, but someone has totally neglected the trailer. Now you have an uncontrollable mess on your hands.

Here is where experience would have been the deciding factor. But the industry and government has decided that is not needed, we will replace experience with technology.

Me? I take the back roads whenever possible.

8. TASK

TASK Bobtail Member

Dec 10, 2021
    Find another company that cares about your safety and doesn't have that dangerous equipment installed

9. Six9GS

Six9GS Road Train Member

Dec 3, 2012
    Yuma, AZ
    My 2019 Volvo has been fairly decent at not engaging the autobrake stuff erroneously. But, it hasn't been perfect either. I personally disagree with having these systems in place to begin with.
    I have found that my pedal will override the auto braking. But, in ice and snow that may not be enough to prevent creating dangerous situations. IDK, I'm fairly timid at driving in ice and snow anyway. So, basically if the roads are in such poor quality conditions that an autobrake event could create a serious problem, chances are I'm already parked somewhere waiting things out till the roads improve. But, I do have the luxury of being able to park it like that. Many don't
    I see this as the same basic issues that'll confront auto driving trucks. The big problem that will have the most significant problems isn't the technology so much as the legal, tort, issues raised when bad things envariably happen. Who's gonna end up with the legal and financial responsibility? The programmers, the manufacturer, or the company who owns the truck?
    I certainly agree with those suggesting make good paper trails of these erroneous events. Definitely could end up making a good difference in the long run. My opinion anyway.

10. Capacity

Capacity Road Train Member

Jul 28, 2019
    Neenah Wi
    I have a lady friend that hauls meat out of Green Bay hers pos system put her in a ditch on dry roads thank god she was mt , how does the OEMs get away selling a dangerous product.
    The skid marks and cameras saved her , poor thing.

11. Short Fuse EOD

Short Fuse EOD Road Train Member

Jul 29, 2015
    Midwest
    Bendix lobbies congress to push for automatic braking in the name of safety.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.