Refusing to go into NYC

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by duckman028, Mar 5, 2014.

1. 48Packard

48Packard Ol' Two-stop Shag!

Apr 19, 2009
    Could be anywhere
    Boston. Gimme NYC over Boston OR Pittsburgh any day. 'Cept tomorrow. I'm going home....

joseph1135 and Elroythekid Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. passingthru69

passingthru69 Road Train Member

Years ago I ran swinging and boxed meat into Boston and then reload in Gloustcer with fish.. Not that bad. Big ol hood and 48' reefer

4. UTurn1

UTurn1 Heavy Load Member

Jan 22, 2012
    Baltimore, MD
    And what company is going to do that. Last oversize ticket I got he told me they are writing them to the company because they don't feel it's right to write the driver up.

5. UTurn1

UTurn1 Heavy Load Member

Jan 22, 2012
    Baltimore, MD
    Yes, any combination vehicle over 55' so that also makes the 48' trailers illegal. $436 fine and possible 2 points.

tucker Thanks this.
  6. ‘Olhand

‘Olhand Cantankerous Crusty

Jan 18, 2011
    The ######## in this thread is overwhelming--just remember 2 things 99% of what u hear about all the bad in NYC is perpetuated by Posers that have Never ###### been there--&the other 1% is just ########.....face if ,even 10% of it were true the folks up there would starve Ta death cause nobody would ever go....
    So to the OP--you really gotta ask yourself 2questions....
    1-what am I REALLY concerned with?(&b honest w/yourself)
    2-You say u have been on this job 11 years--which tells me you got a pretty good gig(or u wouldn't b there)& good jobs r awful darn scarce---so---Is this job worth giving up over something that is probably no big deal at all?
    And as usual to everybody else who loves to tell how big bad dangerous the city is&how u can't take this or that size there•----Please continue--it helps keep my rates there at very lucrative levels---so Thank You

joseph1135, SLANT6, 48Packard and 3 others Thank this.
  7. UTurn1

UTurn1 Heavy Load Member

Jan 22, 2012
    Baltimore, MD
    You better read some more. Any combination vehicle over 55' bumper to bumper is considered oversize. That would make 48' trailers illegal, especially with my pushbar adding about 10". If you are within city limits in any of the 5 boroughs you can get a ticket. It states oversize out of route and is $436 and 2 points. Non-divisible loads are considered household goods. You need a permit to go in and come out and I think you have to get it 72 hours prior.

Numb Thanks this.
  8. UTurn1

UTurn1 Heavy Load Member

Jan 22, 2012
    Baltimore, MD
    'Olhand ask me how I know what the legality of sizes are allowed. First off by the law and second by my ticket. I always went by the 53' rule but that is a fallacy. NYPD told me the boroughs are cracking down (everyone needs money), but they are writing the tickets to the companies and not the drivers. Though an over-zealous cop could write it out to the driver. Does that stop me? No. I was in LI Sun with a 53' and was supposed to be there yesterday but my load canceled.

9. ‘Olhand

‘Olhand Cantankerous Crusty

Jan 18, 2011
    Its all about Where u r and where u r going---gotta allow reasonable access off interstate hiway to your actual destination--myself&everyone I know who were ever ###### w/there & it don't happen often got ###### w/doin the freebie sneakout or dumthin like that---but even those tix are beatable by mail--so no biggie

10. GabeScott

GabeScott Medium Load Member

Feb 16, 2014
    I've picked up fish in Glouctser as well. It was an experience.

11. Cranky Yankee

Cranky Yankee Cranky old ######

Jan 31, 2012
    Green Bay Wi
    Gloucester is always a fun place to drive thru
    blindside up a grade at cold storage
    bring on the bronk

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.