Refusing to help a officer perform a inspection

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by m16ty, Mar 30, 2019.

1. SteerTire

SteerTire Road Train Member

Nov 5, 2018
    Behind the wheel
    I’m guessing some people would drive straight off a cliff if ordered to.

Ordering someone to self incriminate is NOT a lawful order. The guy was right. There is no law, Federal or otherwise that states you have to assist. But it’s in your best interest.

And he sure wasted a hell of a lot of time he could have been driving down the road with.

Joetro Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Observer1

Observer1 Light Load Member

Aug 6, 2016
    First let me say that in my experience most drivers are good people just trying to make an honest living. Sure there are the problem ones just like there are problem officers.

A few years ago I was called to assist another officer. By the time I arrived both officer and driver were spun up. The driver did not want to submit to an inspection.

Out of curiosity I called FMCSA. After explaining the situation, providing them with the DOT number, the vehicle information, and the driver information, they reccomended proceeding with the inspection. If you direct the driver to turn on a turn signal and no signal comes on then list them OOS. They then requested a copy of the inspection along with a report be sent to them for additional follow up and scrutiny.

After I sent the officer back to his vehicle and spoke with the driver, he realized that FMCSA would likely be calling his company and be paying him some extra attention in the future.

I conducted the inspection with the drivers cooperation. No citations were issued and the driver shook my hand and thanked me in the end.

While the law does require a CMV and driver to submit to an inspection I am not aware of any law that says a driver has to assist. At the same time I am not going to operate your truck just the same as I am not going to go into someones home and sit down on the couch and turn on the TV. That is your home and office and I ask permission everytime I want to even step up. Even if I have been given permission earlier in the conversation.

spsauerland, SL3406, tinytim and 15 others Thank this.
  4. Snailexpress

Snailexpress Road Train Member

Apr 28, 2014
    Rocky
    Self incriminate? Ha-ha.
    Officer. -Sir I can smell alcohol, please step out for sobriety test.
    Driver- I don't gonna help you, do it yourself if you need.

Tb0n3 Thanks this.
  5. booley

booley Road Train Member

Feb 16, 2008
    There are youtube videos of people not putting their windows down for sobriety checkpoints...

6. LDLWells

LDLWells Heavy Load Member

Jan 14, 2019
    I help to an extent. Anything with the operation of the truck I'll do. But I'm not dragging their portables out of their truck.

adayrider and Bumper Thank this.
  7. 062

062 Road Train Member

Oct 20, 2013
    I don’t know if Tn still uses those brake dyno’s or not, but I believe that’s one I’d refuse. I don’t know if it was operator error or what, but seen a truck jump sideways about three inches when he hit the brakes.

8. TallJoe

TallJoe Road Train Member

Apr 12, 2016
    Chicagoland
    "Self-incriminate"...
    Assuming that is even correct here, then the vehicle should be OOS until it is determined that it is all right to go on and the driver could do whatever he wants until then.
    Too many weirdos having this job already, letting them all decide what is constitutional or not, or even worse whether they are safe to drive would be too dangerous.

Snailexpress Thanks this.
  9. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    Lots of people have trouble with authority figures. I kind of felt bad for the cop, probably very green, they always stick new cops on truck inspections, you could tell he didn't know what to say, this wasn't the 1st encounter with cops for this driver, he knew what to say. I tell ya', I, for the life of me, can't figure out why someone would want to be a cop, dealing with these ying-yangs all day.

10. Oxbow

Oxbow Road Train Member

Nov 24, 2015
    Idaho
    Hey, the officer asked for turn signals etc. No turn signal equals violation?

I have always cooperated with the utmost respect, at least until the officer becomes unreasonable.

11. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    The difference between a DOT and God, is that God knows he's not a DOT.

rank, Gumper, stwik and 3 others Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.