Regarding Violation on a DOT Level 2 Inspection

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Southeast Trucker Mike, May 2, 2022.

1. Southeast Trucker Mike

Southeast Trucker Mike Light Load Member

Jun 9, 2014
    North GA Mountains
    While on I-85SB in SC, in the "never-ending, endless" construction zone, I passed a state trooper with a radar gun shined on my tractor/trailer as I came out of a curve. A pickup had just blown by me in the left lane, saw the trooper and slammed his brakes... he was just ahead of me when we came into view of the trooper. Honestly, I don't know what my speed was at that point but it certainly wasn't any faster than the rest of traffic... and certainly not faster than that pickup truck.

I saw the flashing blues in my rear view shortly afterward, and figured he was going after the pickup- WRONG, and I pulled off at the next exit ramp. At that ramp (in front of me) was another semi with flashing blues behind him, and two semis with two troopers pulled over on the ramp across from me in the opposite direction. The trooper was a nice, young guy that told me they were performing DOT inspections... but also mentioned that I was travelling a little fast. I mentioned the pickup truck alongside me, and he said they were travelling too fast as well. As per my Company's instructions during orientation two months earlier, I asked if he would please issue me a ticket for the speed rather than give me a warning... because we can't dispute a warning and CSA points would result automatically for a warning. He told me not to worry, took all paperwork to check me out, and performed the inspection. He then came back with a DOT inspection report that had only one violation indicated on it in the "other" section... excessive speed 1-4mph over the speed limit.

He assured me that the violation was NOT a ticket, would never appear on my MVR, would not cost me or my employer any money nor cause any CSA points to my employer. He said that 1-4mph over the limit was nothing that would damage us, and that he put it on the inspection report to cover his butt for pulling me out of traffic for an inspection (very surprised he told me this!). To date (nearly two months ago now), nothing is on my MVR or PSP, and my employer did NOT report this on my DAC... so I'm assuming the trooper told me the truth.

Sadly, two weeks later I was forced to resign my driver position because the Company decided NOT to believe me about "consequences" to them, and was re-governing my truck speed from 70mph to 64mph for three months as punishment, which I was unwilling to accept. Have any of you ever had this specific violation on a Level 2 inspection? Was the trooper telling me the truth (based on records, it seems he did)? Was my employer too punitive, or wrong for attempting to enforce their policy? I really liked driving for them, but felt they should have just let this one go... my record and history were otherwise clean.

merv85 and D.Tibbitt Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Trucker61016

Trucker61016 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2017
    Linville, Va
    So you were speeding, got caught and somehow you didn't accept the company lowering your speed for only 3 months, and you expect them to just be okay with it?? Every violation counts and the company didn't like that.....kinda silly quitting over a temporary punishment..

kylefitzy, tscottme and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  4. VA CDL Holder

VA CDL Holder Medium Load Member

Jun 14, 2011
    I don't see how a speeding violation, allegedly, can get tacked on to a DOT inspection. A speeding ticket is a speeding ticket and a DOT inspection is a DOT inspection. Using logic and reasoning here, I cannot see them being interchangeable, but what do I know?

It sounds like the cop was justifying his paycheck here, as he couldn't gig you on a DOT related equipment violation. No revenue to the state though, so I have to question his point.

5. Moosetek13

Moosetek13 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2010
    Burnsville, MN
    It seems everyone is being petty.

The cop for pulling you over hoping for something substantial with the inspection, then even telling you he put the 1-4 speed violation on you just to cover his own back side.

The company for reducing your governed speed for no good reason I can see.

And the OP for quitting a good job over the temporary speed reduction, and claiming he was 'forced to resign'?
    Quitting because you refuse to accept something is not being forced to quit, so don't try to play the victim on that aspect of this.
    That was your choice.

6. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    One, there are 0 CSA points for 1-4 over violation, so in that regards the trooper wasn't lying. It will go on your PSP report, but not your MVR though.
    Second, you weren't forced to resign, you threw a hissy fit when you got caught speeding and resigned. This isn't a race, slow down and if you get in trouble even after you are the one in the wrong, don't go throw a hissy fit and quit.

7. SmallPackage

SmallPackage Road Train Member

Dec 20, 2019
    Marion Texas
    I love how they always seem to do random vehicle inspections in the most unsafe places. Construction zones and were the heaviest fastest traffic flow is.

8. Long FLD

Long FLD Road Train Member

Mar 4, 2015
    Speeding in a construction zone, gets caught, doesn’t like the punishment, quits.

9. nikmirbre

nikmirbre Road Train Member

Jul 27, 2011
    High Point NC
    Im assuming this happened around Mile Marker 95 or so..... I say good they need to crack down in that area!

10. Trucker61016

Trucker61016 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2017
    Linville, Va
    That's my take too, he threw a fit over a temporary punishment when he in fact was caught speeding....its kinda like well I only Slightly stabbed someone, you still committed assault no matter how minor in your mind....

Bean Jr., tscottme and wis bang Thank this.
  11. wis bang

wis bang Road Train Member

Jan 12, 2011
    Levittown, PA
    Trooper thought he was doing you a favor by not issuing a citation that might add DMV points to your state driver abstract [MVR] so he issued something that tells your employer what was going on without adding 'points' to their record.

They follow their 'compliance' procedures and you quit.

Happens more than it should but this is a daily occurance at some trucking company somewhere in this country.

Now every potential employer that uses the PSP will see that violation on your record for the next three years.

Something that shouldn't be more than a 'speed bump' will now dictate the caliber of future employers you may encounter.

12. Southeast Trucker Mike

Southeast Trucker Mike Light Load Member

Jun 9, 2014
    North GA Mountains
    #1- No, it hasn't shown up on the PSP- you are "guessing", and are wrong.
    #2- Why do you assume I was "speeding" or that I drive too fast? I use speed control when not in construction zones, usually set at 2 over the posted limit. If I were issued a ticket, then I would have gone to court to dispute it since I doubt a clean radar speed was obtained with the pickup slightly ahead of me and his immediate braking when he saw the trap.
    #3- A "hissy fit"? What's YOUR problem? I resigned because my employer wouldn't trust my word (or investigate) regarding what I was told about consequences to me or them. The governing down was punitive, remediated nothing, unsafe (imo) given the flow of most traffic and not representative of my very safe driving speeds- easily confirmed by reviewing the truck's statistics.
    #4- Being disrespectful will get you the same... why not stay out of discussions when you have nothing useful to contribute. Keep your accusatory, unfounded "opinions" to yourself, K? I've got no use for people like you...

Chieftains and sevenmph Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.