REGEN ISSUE: DOSER OR OTHER?

Discussion in 'Peterbilt Forum' started by LSTAR422995, Oct 13, 2018.

1. LSTAR422995

LSTAR422995 Bobtail Member

Oct 13, 2018
    Have 2013 Pete 587 / Cummings ISX.
    82k ago - Replaced DPF Filters. after having Regen issues that threw codes. Work done, software updated to account for replacement - sent me on my way
    Also had issues with Thermostat and Gasket Housing... they claimed it was related to the regen issue
    Short time later (3) mo's DPF injector no response... Different Dealer - while inside shop, they replaced the DPF Injector, Doser Valve was very sooted, and clogged, they put new one on and once again cleared everything and tested it. All good. Now have another issue I need feedback to know if they are related.
    Truck is Showing "Regen Required."
    Passive Regen will occur,,, noting the slightly higher idle while parked or stopped at lights.
    When I start Parked Regen... Takes 20mins before temps get hot enough to display "High Exhaust Temp" and goes out 20 mins later. Regen Required is still Displayed with no CEL
    2 days ago had CEL... and code pulled was "too frequent regen intervals."
    Had codes cleared and returned as no relevant data to acertain the reason showed up using JPRO.

I am trying to figure out if there is a sensor bad... or Injector clogged up again. I feel like the temps in the DPF arent hot enough. Any Ideas?
    As a point of follow up... Currently in Regen (Parked) and High Temp went off after 30 mins, but the Regen itself is still going. Timer is on 2hr:15 mins

Last edited: Oct 13, 2018
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Oldironfan

Oldironfan Road Train Member

May 22, 2017
    How many miles on engine.

If higher miles your engine may be getting ready to blow.

You need to research the isx if your not familiar with them.
    Many issues.

KB3MMX Thanks this.
  4. LSTAR422995

Oct 13, 2018
    Have currently 642k
    haven't had any serious issue other than this. I am hoping the Filters aren't clogged already causing this issue cause Baking them is expensive and I have been told you should get better than 82 out of them (Brand New) If they are... well that means overhead work.. Which case - Truck is done

5. Army91W

Army91W Heavy Load Member

Nov 3, 2006
    San Antonio, TX
    I would sugguest running a regen while the truck is hooked up to cummins insite.
    If your DOC is clogged it doesn't matter how new your dpf is, the dpf will not be regened.
    The DOC is more expensive than the dpf.
    I hated my cummins dpf/def system. I never had a day off. If I wasn't driving I was replacing some sensor.

KB3MMX Thanks this.
  6. JonJon78

JonJon78 Road Train Member

Jul 1, 2018
    If the Doser valve was very sooted, just think of how much of that soot is getting into the motor... You think the baking is expensive......

Do you have an APU on that truck?

KB3MMX Thanks this.
  7. Oldironfan

May 22, 2017
    If filters are plugging up that fast your engine may be consuming to much oil, antifreeze, and or fuel.
    Your engine may be tired.
    Famous issues are dropped liner number 5 cylinder usually.
    Carbon packed pistons polishing liners.
    Fuel pump exploding causing engine to be trash.

Do you have any warranty?

KB3MMX Thanks this.
  8. Army91W

Army91W Heavy Load Member

Nov 3, 2006
    San Antonio, TX
    With the cummins insite you'll be able to see the temps at a few points in your dpf system. If the first temp reading maintains a hotter temp than your dpf filter during a regen your doc is clogged.

9. Oldironfan

May 22, 2017
    Aren't the DEF components under recall right now?

KB3MMX and magoo68 Thank this.
  10. LSTAR422995

Oct 13, 2018
    I have one... Just quit a month ago....
    The #### thing shuts down after 2 mins... cause the generator itself went.

KB3MMX Thanks this.
  11. LSTAR422995

Oct 13, 2018
    I have little to go on with your theory other than you might be "partially" right.?
    As for consumption.. Oil - 2 gallons between changes. which i try to stick with 15k intervals... fuel 6-7 mpg
    no consumption with coolant. And I haven't had the top of the engine looked at yet... that's where your probably partially right.
    Meantime... I am trying to get one problem handled first then gut the bigger fish

KB3MMX and Oldironfan Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.