Regen issues international

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by fredrd, Jun 29, 2013.

1. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    If they do a forced regen and it smokes slightly in white or greyish colour while the DPF inlet temp is increasing between about 650 and 850, then the DOC is worn out. The inverted temps is another indicator, but not the only test. Hopefully they find something.

trulytex Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. trulytex

trulytex Light Load Member

Feb 6, 2013
    Okeechobee, FL
    Thanks Heavyd! I will pass this info on! I really hope to get this problem solved, I am at wit's end! Not to mention the Financial pain of Repair Bills and Lost Productivity!

4. trulytex

Feb 6, 2013
    Okeechobee, FL

Well, after replacing the Injectors and the Fuel Rail Pressure Sensor, I was told by the Service Manager at another International Dealership that the problem sounded like a bad Fuel Pump. He told me to check the Fuel Tanks for Metal Shavings in the bottom of the tank and sure enough, the Passenger Side fuel tank had a film of fine metal shavings at the bottom of the tank. We replaced the fuel pump, fuel filters and cleaned out both fuel tanks. Started it up tonight and the sound of a bad injector Never returned! The truck ran great and even did a forced/parked regen. The shop is not an International Dealership so they only had a generic diagnosis computer, not Navistar. It is throwing codes for:
    FPCV - Fuel Pressure Cntrl Valve
    TC2WC - Turbo 2 Control Valve
    EBPC - Exhaust Back Pressure
    CMV - Coolant Mixer Valve
    CFV - Coolant Flow Valve
    AFT - Doser Valve
    IAHFS -

The dealership told me last week that I was getting a code for the ACV, which I believe is the same as the TC2WC. Gonna replace that tomorrow. The DPF was packed with soot, so we soaked and pressure cleaned it until the water ran clean (after 3 hours of cleaning). Could this Fuel Pump been the problem all along? Any Suggestions? Thanks!

5. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    The fuel pumps do let go internally, and send metal shavings throughout the fuel system, but I believe that is rare as we have never actually encountered that or maybe trucks up here in Canada are not as susceptible to that failure. But for sure, that could have been the cause. The ACV does control your TC waste gate. As for all those codes, I would record them, then clear them all and run it for a few days to see what returns and go from there.

trulytex Thanks this.
  6. trulytex

Feb 6, 2013
    Okeechobee, FL
    We have cleared them and they come right back. The shop installed the new ACV today, ran the diagnostics afterward and the ACV is still coming up as an Open Circuit. Now they are wondering if is a bad ECM or wiring harness! I am going to try to borrow a harness off of another 2014 Maxxforce and swap them to test.

7. trulytex

Feb 6, 2013
    Okeechobee, FL

I borrowed an ECM from a buddy of mine who has a 2014 day cab that was totaled, mechanic installed it and all the codes disappeared except the FPCV (Fuel Press Control Valve) which is in the Fuel Pump (which was replaced 2 days ago) and the ACV code. The ACV was replaced yesterday. There is also a New Code for Adaptive Cruise Control, but my truck doesn't have that option.
    I'm going to try to find a place to that can repair my ECM. My friend is going to let me borrow his ECM While I decide what to do...
    Some of the pins on my ECM were bent over. That may have been the problem.

Heavyd and daf105paccar Thank this.
  8. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    That's great you have access to a test ECM and he will let you borrow it. Yes, the adaptive cruise is for trucks with that radar Bendix Wingman system. Since you don't have that option, the ECM is looking for things that aren't there. Your cruise control won't work, but that's it. As for other codes, 99% of the time, it is wiring. Lots of corners and edges for wiring to rub on. Sometimes it is just easier to run a new wire if you can pin point the exact fault.

trulytex Thanks this.
  9. trulytex

Feb 6, 2013
    Okeechobee, FL
    The mechanic got the truck back together and test drove it. The truck would only go 40 mph so the Test ECM isn't compatable enough for me to use it for a week or so while I get mine repaired or get a new one. I was hoping to use the truck with the loaner ECM, but not possible. Do you have any suggestions on an ECM Repair service? I found "ECM Diesel" online. I'm going to keep researching.

Heavyd Thanks this.
  10. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    No body in Canada seems to do this, but I think a few customers have had ECM repaired in the Detroit area. We also get reman ecms from ADF Diesel sometimes. Other than that, sorry, we don't.

trulytex Thanks this.
  11. trulytex

Feb 6, 2013
    Okeechobee, FL
    I purchased a used ECM online, took it to my International dealer and had it programmed for my truck AND ALL OF THE PAST CODES ARE GONE (codes for FPCV and ACV), and after an hour of running they aren't coming up anymore! So it looks like I had a Bad ECM! I am getting a code for "Knock Detected Unexpected Fueling without Demand". All of the Injectors were replaced a few weeks ago by the dealership with injectors that I provided - New Bosch Injectors. After it was finished, they said the #4 Injector was Overfueling. I ordered a replacement Injector and they installed it as well as replaced the Fuel Rail Sensor. Still having overfueling problems so I had the Fuel Pump replaced. Now I am getting the Knock Detected Code. Could this be ANOTHER Bad New Injector, or is there something else that could be malfunctioning?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.