Regen issues

Discussion in 'Kenworth Forum' started by easy roller, Feb 5, 2017.

1. easy roller

easy roller Bobtail Member

Mar 8, 2015
    Houston, TX
    I have a 2012 Kenworth 660 with a 2250 with approximately 850,000 miles. During the past few months my truck has been blowing white smoke when pulling a hill during a regen. I do regular oil changes, change the air filters, changed sensors. I have been to a few shops over the past few months trying to pinpoint the smoke issue and there are no codes showing--everything is within range. I have just got a check engine light in the past 3 days and went to our shop. The technician said that truck was showing code 2754. He went thru the entire diagnostic tree and said the aftertreatment system was fine but something on the engine was stopping the automatic regen. I am on my way to our Cummins shop because they have more sophisticated equipment. I am having to regen every 400 miles. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Brandt

Brandt Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2012
    Just a guess but at 850,000 would be normal time for second cleaning/ baking of the DPF filter. It could be full from regular Regen and maybe that's the grey smoke if nothing is wrong with engine

4. White Dog

White Dog Road Train Member

Feb 11, 2008
    Iowa
    Is/was that a "team" truck, or do you run nearly 15,000 miles a month for 5 years? Just curious.

5. Cat sdp

Cat sdp . .

Apr 8, 2012
    Orion's Belt
    You'll find answers @ Rawze.com......

The white smoke is likely unburnt fuel ....

6. strollinruss

strollinruss Road Train Member

Jun 5, 2012
    Montgomery, TX
    Correct it's not burning correctly and probably getting about 4.5 mpg

7. nax

nax Road Train Member

Dec 14, 2016
    @easy roller changed injectors yet?

Sometime they get stuck in "open" position, spraying too much fuel into the pistons leading to unburnt fuel.

Also, from my research, there something called "fuel doser"...maybe it's squirting too much fuel? and not getting hot enough for full regen?

8. easy roller

Mar 8, 2015
    Houston, TX
    This is not a team truck; I am a trainer for my company. IT is not the doser injector because I just had it removed by our shop in Laredo two weeks ago and a bypass test was done on the injector and it was ok; The mechnic replaced the injector washer which was clogged. The test bypass test was done twice to make sure the doser injector was ok. Our Cummins mechanic mentioned a year or so ago that I had a main injector going bad but he could not tell which one it was. Also at about 10 to 15 thousand miles I start to lose oil pressure. A friend who is a mechanic said that it could be an injector allowing fuel into the oil. Our mechanic just checked it two days ago and said it was a engine issue and not the regen system. He ran the whole diagnostic tree using cummins insite for regen issues. My only code is 1754. That shop did not have the more complicated tools I just ran the truck from laredo and am currently in Phoenix waiting for our cummins mechnic tomorrow. I had to regen two times in approx 1100 miles and only the regen light is no loss of performance. I am aware that all trucks have the same issues and was hoping someone had the same problem. I also know that we have excellent mechanics who answer questions on this forum and would appreciate any help

9. Cat sdp

Cat sdp . .

Apr 8, 2012
    Orion's Belt
    Have you pulled a oil sample and had it tested yet..?

Are you "making oil" on the dipstick?

Rawze is the place to go......

10. easy roller

Mar 8, 2015
    Houston, TX
    just did Speedco and perfect oil sample. Only issue is I do lose oil pressure down to 30 psi sometimes at about 10-15,000 miles. I change the oil at about 20-25000. It is not the regen system unless somehow it is the scr catalyst and that would throw a code. I just reviewed a driver's repair on a truck that was bought on the same day as mine yesterday and he had the scr catalyst replaced and it threw 3-4 codes. My truck is only throwing 2754. Just got connected to shop computer and truck is now throwing 3375 code which gives more to work with. I am currently waiting on Cummins in the morning to check it out. The truck runs perfect except for the automatic regen. I will keep u posted. Most of Rawze's posts are for the engine prior to my engine. HE definitely could shoot more videos as they are very helpful

11. easy roller

Mar 8, 2015
    Houston, TX
    Truck was finally fixed by the Cummins guy. Cummins replaced the doc and dpf filter. I looked at the dpf filter after it was removed and it was not that bad--so the doc was the culprit. The doser injector was tested but I had already had it cleaned about two weeks prior. IF you have a Cummins engine and your truck is blowing smoke when pulling a hill during a regen it is probably the doc filter. The doc filter cost $2800 but it had only been changed at about 500,000 miles and again at this point at 860,000. My truck blew smoke for about 5 months without throwing a code. There was also a drop in mpg to about 7-7.5mpg. When the truck was repaired my mileage went up to 8.8 pulling 20,000 lbs from phoenix to dallas. thanks to all who tried to help.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.