Regional??? Yeah right!

Discussion in 'Interstate' started by skyviper73, Dec 27, 2013.

1. bigblue19

bigblue19 Road Train Member

Mar 30, 2007
    Midland WA
    Looks like not much has changed since I worked at IDC. I hired on 11 western and my first ld? Wa to Kansas. Pay has not changed either hired on at .36 that was a decade ago.

skyviper73 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. skyviper73

skyviper73 Heavy Load Member

Feb 17, 2012
    Centennial, CO
    I saw TX and OK only twice in 4 months. That said, you will like the FM's they are decent. Good luck. I parked my truck when I got back to Denver Wednesday evening and cleaned it out. I was hired for KC regional. I was running a combination of Salt Lake City through Ohio. (That drive across I80 in WY on Wednesday afternoon was a big reason I signed on to run EAST of Denver. Snow, blowing snow, drifting snow, black ice, ice that looks like snow, 25 foot visibility, partial road closures, other moron truck drivers going 65 mph in that mess! I have done my share of crappy Winter driving. I signed up for KC regional to stay out of that mess. I've managed to stay accident free for 8 years and part of the reason for that is limiting risk. Staying away from things that increase risk, like Winter driving, as much as possible.) That and my truck has been in the shop three times in the past three weeks and when I parked it, the check engine lights came on about 15 minutes before I parked. So yet again, if I was still with IDC, I would be in the shop! IDC is a good company. I got plenty of miles, but they had me doing things I wasn't hired for.

Another interesting fact. They are advertising for more KC regional drivers on CL in Denver, but the top pay is only .37 cpm. I was getting .40 cpm. They cut their pay, but maybe they are increasing the bonuses.

Just be aware that until they get their customer base fixed in the Denver area, or the entire midwest for that matter, you might be driving places you didn't sign on for.

I picked up a local hourly job the runs Monday thru Friday days, so I figure I can only go about 300 miles from Denver. I start next week, so I'm going to enjoy a few more days off, then it's back in a truck. I do love driving!

4. Privy

Privy Light Load Member

Aug 15, 2011
    Sierras ,CA
    Just for your info that (Travels 11 Western,but runs 90% on the I-5 corridor) was not originally on there .I also saw that but after I had already been driving for them a month or so, they even changed the add on craigslist to include that quote which is a lot closer to the position. It use to just say (Runs 11 Western)

skyviper73 Thanks this.
  5. skyviper73

Feb 17, 2012
    Centennial, CO
    They changed the ads on CL and their website for KC regional also. Still doesn't say anything about running west if Denver though.

6. rt44

rt44 Bobtail Member

Dec 3, 2013
    Good luck man with that new job!

7. skyviper73

Feb 17, 2012
    Centennial, CO
    Thanks. I have run local before, there are good things and bad. Good = Home every night, Bad = Have to DRIVE to a driving job and then DRIVE home after driving all day. I also have tolls to get into town from where I live, plus gas for my pick up truck isn't cheap. But, all that said, it is nice to keep up with the family and the house daily, instead of bi-weekly.

8. Fast Lane Trucker

Fast Lane Trucker Bobtail Member

Jan 24, 2014
    Alamogordo, NM
    I'm looking into IDC's KC regional, moving to KC, MO. this summer. Loads any better from there, or same ole crap? I don't mind so much going South or West, but North or East, not so much. Still doing my research, still too many questions yet unanswered. Trucks have APUs? Pay for deadhead? Days out to earn days off? Holidays off? Trucks have pre pass? Company have good standing with DOT? All of those things the company would not tell you until your hired. If anyone has answers to any of these questions, please share, Thanks.

Just want to do my due diligence before I commit. again, THANKS

9. BUMBACLADWAR

BUMBACLADWAR Road Train Member

Dec 5, 2013
    You're in luck,there's no shortage of driving jobs in KC.I used to live and drive there.You have,KC,NKC,Olathe,Ks,Lawrence,ks several cities to base from.A lot of LTL class A jobs.Heavy on hand deliveries but holidays and weekends off.A lot of drives drive from KC to Lincoln,Ne for daily routes or KC to St.Louis,Mo orKc to Des Moines Ia etc.Have jobs where you haul containers to the rail yards. Try Penske in North Kc,R&L carriers in Pleasant Valley, Kc Piggyback,Dugan,24/7 Express,B&B Transfer in Lawrence ,Ks,theres a ton of regional and LTL carriers. Central Freight,JB Hunt etc. I think a lot of these were daycabs with 10 speeds.Not sure about the APU's.I drove there for a few years. Didnt have to worry about DOT except avoid the Harrisonville,Mo scale after 5am and like to shake you down at the Rockport,Mo scale(up on I-29 by the Iowa border.I drive in Washington now. I got tired of the 2 week stretches of 100° heat and driving around in 5 inches of snow every winter.That was the worst part.But yeah theres a few million people within a 50 mile radius of KC. Should be easy to get a driving gig.

10. Fast Lane Trucker

Fast Lane Trucker Bobtail Member

Jan 24, 2014
    Alamogordo, NM
    Thanks, Bumbacladwar! You gave me a lot to look into, and I am most appreciative of you help on this. I used to drive for CFI now Con-way, but got tired of driving all 48 and Canada, mostly drove Northeast states. I hated the roads in the Northeast. Thanks again for the info.

11. BUMBACLADWAR

BUMBACLADWAR Road Train Member

Dec 5, 2013
    Glad if I can help. I forgot about SAIA and Vistar and Estes. SAIA does a lot of dock to dock. You wear a fancy red shirt and carry a bunch of pro stickers in your pocket to label pallets (to keep track of where stuffs going. Had an ex coworker that went to drive for SAIA and loved it. Start out at $19.50 and over $20 hr after a few months.Lot of multi-stop local dock to dock.He was off almost every weekend also.I would check out SAIA definetely.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.