REJECTED LOAD

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by stephlop_93, Dec 17, 2018.

1. stephlop_93

stephlop_93 Bobtail Member

Dec 10, 2018
    Hi guys, I'm new to the business and really need help. I'm the owner with my own MC. We hauled watermelons from AZ to CO and they were rejected due to quality(they weren't green or red enough), nothing to do with us. This was Saturday and they sat in the reefer all day Sunday since all I received from the broker was "I don't know what to do, Im working with the client to figure something out". Its now Monday and had to cancel load since I don't have an empty trailer. Legally what are my options? Can I demand receiver unload them? How can I protect my butt and get my trailer empty? THANKS!!!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    I hope you have a temp tale and ran this one on continuous. Prepare for any way they will try to make a claim. Quality is not your fault. They will likely try to find a ppace close for you to take them. Demand layover pay by the day. You will be paid as agreed for original load. Whether or not you want to try for more, depending how much further you must take this load, is up to you.

If it's close by, I don't generally charge. I tell the broker if he wants to hire me again that's his call, then I write the shipper and receiver and story in my memory and never return. Depending how the broker handles it, let that be your guide if you want to possibly build a relationship there or not.

I have worked my way into good folks to deal with. No new stuff. Haven't done melons in probably 4 years now. That may have more to do with my running area.

Dave_in_AZ Thanks this.
  4. Lepton1

Lepton1 Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Yukon, OK
    Another reason I would never want to be a MC pulling reefers.

Dave_in_AZ and JonJon78 Thank this.
  5. AlexanderK

AlexanderK Light Load Member

Mar 11, 2017
    I had exact same situation moving watermelon from Florida to Texas and Walmart rejected them. Had to cancel my next load that was booked for Saturday. Broker was nice enough from the first point and I didn’t want to fight for layover for this reason. They found a place to bring watermelon to 4 hours away and they paid for the trip. I did lost my entire weekend because of this, but I just let it go.

Dave_in_AZ and Lepton1 Thank this.
  6. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    No not the reefer load. Nooooooooo. Make it stop please.

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  7. Brandt

Brandt Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2012
    I haul some watermelons as company driver they got rejected because of quality. The broker found someone else to buy them as lower grade watermelons. I hauled some as owner operator. They sell them once truck is loaded and rolling. They sell them as a grade like A or sweet. When I finally got to delivery, they taste sample them. Then decide they were the grade the broker sold them as. They almost refused the load because they could have been to dry or not sweet enough.

Dave_in_AZ Thanks this.
  8. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    I started a "It's always watermelons " thread years ago, do to the unprecedented melon carnage.

9. CaptainDaveG

CaptainDaveG Road Train Member

Jul 31, 2014
    Fremont Wi
    I have my own Authority almost 2 years. There are certain things you stay away from. The Watermelon will come in to its own just how long.

My policy is this every Ratecon has the value of the load. We agree upfront on layover and rejected loads which I have had 1. Broker sold it to another person etc.

But that’s why Reefer pays really well there’s risk But don’t haul Ice Cream into Florida in the summer it’s too fragile. There’s zero room for errors etc and very few cross docks will unload and store if you have a issue.

It’s all risk vs reward

Be Safe Out There

Captain Dave

gentleroger, Lepton1 and Dave_in_AZ Thank this.
  10. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    If the broker buys the watermelon then sells it on the way how come I couldn't do the same thing? I've actually given this serious thought with other commodities....

I get to see the value of all of it because I cross the border. Lots of it you see what they buy it for and compare it to what you pay for it.... there's a healthy profit in there. Also risk for perishable commodity. How to put this all together..........

11. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    I did that with tomatoes, did a short haul with a load of them, rejected because they were not all ripe and ended dealing with the broker in exchange for the amount I was to get for the load. I went to the nearest wholesaler I could find, showed the purchaser the load and told her to make an offer, she did, and it was unloaded. She cut me a check for more than I would have gotten for the load. The guy I taught me how to drive a truck and my uncle who had a medium fleet started out that way, they would buy a load of produce and haul it to a wholesaler and sell it off or take it to the "midnight" market to sell it.

gokiddogo and Lepton1 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.