Rejected watermelon load due to damage

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Charlie214, May 24, 2016.

1. Charlie214

Charlie214 Bobtail Member

May 24, 2016
    So i delieved the watermelons 3AM this morning and was rejected 18 bins. The watermelons are fine just the cardboard bins are torn. My dispatcher said to wait a few hours toll morning to get it resolved. Waiting now

I had a friend who had a similar situation a few years back with some apples. They got rejected dispatcher said the broker needs it redelievered. So he did. After that they still slapped a claim on the company and he didnt see a dime of the load and the deposit. What to do. How should i handle this.

Dominick253 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. thelushlarry

thelushlarry Road Train Member

Jan 9, 2012
    glasgow ky
    Have a watermelon sell in a high traffic parking lot!:D

4. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    What's Gallagher doin' these days?

5. Charlie214

Charlie214 Bobtail Member

May 24, 2016
    Hahaha thats hillarious

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  6. Razorwyr

Razorwyr Road Train Member

Jul 27, 2010
    Meridian, Mississippi
    This is one of the reasons I left reefer and haven't looked back. Grocery receivers refuse crap over stupid stuff, cause you wait forever over the OSD, and half the time they still end up keeping the product.

7. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    They can't file a claim if they receive the product. Your insurance will (should) say to them - ok, if we are buying 18 boxes of watermelons, then we want them. I have been in same situation before with another product. I told them since I get to pay for them then where can I collect my product? No answer. Don't work with that broker anymore.

PE_T and Rex012 Thank this.
  8. nikmirbre

nikmirbre Road Train Member

Jul 27, 2011
    High Point NC
    Also......they may buy them still at a lower price.....

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  9. Nichole D

Nichole D Bobtail Member

May 24, 2016
    That shouldn't have anything to do with you. If they're rejecting the bags, they should absolutely still unload them and get with their vendor about scheduling a truck to pickup the rejected, out of the vendor's pocket. The product is not non-conforming, the packaging seems to be the only issue. Something their vendor should be able to work out with them. (If the issue was not due to you)

Last edited: May 24, 2016
    gntorres61 Thanks this.
  10. snowlauncher

snowlauncher Road Train Member

Mar 28, 2014
    Southeastern ID
    When I ran reefer, I had a few loads of produce that were partially rejected by a specific consignee in the Cleveland area...it was always a pain and I dreaded delivering there because I knew they were picky about the quality and appearance of the load. I just had to call my dispatch and after a while they would find someone in the area who they could re-consign the remaining product to at a cut-rate. It never cost me anything and I wasn't held liable for the load. I guess it depends on the company you drive for and the circumstances around the load quality.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.