Relationships, Trucking, Kids, Time Away, What new drivers need to know.

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by 379exhd, Jun 22, 2014.

1. DoubleO7

DoubleO7 Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2015
    Southern Illinois
    I am single with no kids in spite of being mid 40's and sexy as hell. If I was any other way, I could not do this.

Heathar Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Heathar

Heathar Light Load Member

Dec 30, 2016
    Sharpsburg, GA
    Ha I haven't seen the other part of my relationship in over a year.. timing gets messed up or what not.. it doesn't help that she lives in Florida too.. it is what it is.. I also own stock at Duracell.. ha ha

DoubleO7 Thanks this.
  4. FireLotus

FireLotus Light Load Member

Mar 26, 2017
    My father was in the military and gone all the time. Yes, of course I missed him, but, some of my fondest memories of growing up was my dad coming home, or when we were be station somewhere else and we're going to join dad. I am certain too, that is why he and I are so close.

I have a good friend who's father was always around, but they are not close, not at all. His father was around, but also was out of work a lot, which was hard on him and his siblings. He has to travel for his job, so he his gone a lot, but he is very close with his children, the love it when he returns

An important thing to remember, is kids need to feel secure, they need to have a good provider. My father was, and I never had to experience a lot of what my friend went through as a child, and he is determined that his kids never will either, he is the exact opposite of his father.

When he got laid off because of downsizing, he got an overnight janitorial job within two days, so he could spend the morning applying for and interviewing for jobs in his career field.

Yes, you will miss your children and they will miss you. But do not lose sight of the fact that you are working, and although they don't know yet how much that means, know one day they will.

x1Heavy, DoubleO7 and Heathar Thank this.
  5. FireLotus

FireLotus Light Load Member

Mar 26, 2017
    As somebody who's father was in the military and gone most of my childhood... I disagree with you... strongly disagree with you... I know my father was not escaping his home and responsibilities... He had a family he loved, adored and always provided for. My father would of sold any guitar he had or motorcycle if his wife or children needed something.

My next door neighbors father was a truck driver, and he lived very frugally on the road and provide for his family.
    I don't see that any different than my dad serving in the military and providing for us.

They were both two men who loved and provided for their family.. and why both her and I have much love and respect for our fathers and the sacrifices they made.

While their may be some who do escape... that is no reason to disrespect the hard working men and woman who are doing it to provide for their families..

Last edited: Apr 25, 2017
    x1Heavy Thanks this.
  6. DoubleO7

Aug 21, 2015
    Southern Illinois
    I have carpal tunnel syndrome.

Heathar Thanks this.
  7. Heathar

Dec 30, 2016
    Sharpsburg, GA
    It's a son of a #####!!

DoubleO7 Thanks this.
  8. DoubleO7

Aug 21, 2015
    Southern Illinois
    How would you know?

9. Heathar

Dec 30, 2016
    Sharpsburg, GA
    The carpel tunnel. I was meaning the just of it. Ha I wouldn't know. I need to go to sleep..

DoubleO7 Thanks this.
  10. DoubleO7

Aug 21, 2015
    Southern Illinois
    Me too, but my wrist hurts, and my.......

11. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    When you do come home, don't chase the trucker spouse with a to do list or fill his head with noisy louts and boisterous relatives coming to visit. Save that for a few days.

One rule I had with spouse was we had a room set aside a small one for sleeping a cave basically. When I came home I would kiss her and greet her and make sure she is ok, then go into the cave for as long I need to become human again. There is a certain type of stress and mental thinking that goes along with predators, lizards etc on the road and I have to take a little me time to decompress and discard that type of thinking so I can be proper and myself again with family such as it is. How long it takes depends but never more than a day.

Sometimes there is a death pending in the family. Go home. To have a problem like that weighing in your heart and mind makes you less safe with a 18 wheeler. Go home. Get it out of your system. Then clear skies and happy trails get back out there. But not until you are ready.

The Spouse has to understand (Mine was present in the sleeper in our later years when a hooker asked me for a sexual good time at the bullpen in rochester Guiness Ale. I thanked her and declined her. Then warned her that I am married and wife up there through open window most certainly overhead and she should not be staying around talking to drivers for that play time right now. Hooker wisely took off. It's good she did that for her sake. Nothing BAD would happen. Not at all. Just that she had to go. I have been pretty lucky in life I suppose. What with the possibilities of getting really sick for immoral behavior along the 95/85 routes that are really bad for STD's

When that truck is parked. I don't want to hear or see it. Im off. It can burn for all I care. But it is on my land so... eh. I carried a million in civil insurance on top of concealed carry etc so that if anything did happen to it and I got sued for it it's covered. Cranking at midnight to warm up and get going requires pretty good neighbors or you will have problems.

Money is the number one challenge. You need to understand along with the spouse what it takes to keep you in good health and strong to do your work safely. But not living high on hog. Send money home.

Finally but not last. Send a few mailings during your week. It is nothing to pickup say a little soveinier somewhere in Cheyenne for example and fex ex it home as a gift to spouse. Little things is not that big of a deal to you but when a spouse begins to think that Post office might contain small presents or tokens of your affection, it makes things a little less onery out there.

That is all I have for now.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.