Remember this bridge, they hit it again

Discussion in 'Trucking Accidents' started by bbqhoncho, Aug 28, 2011.

1. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

2. larryaz

larryaz Light Load Member

Dec 3, 2006
    Jefferson, Texas
    "The impact sheered off a large piece of metal that remained stuck dangling from the bridge and blew off the rear doors to the trailer, but the truck was able to continue onto I-290, where the driver was stopped by police."

WTF, 11'6" and he kept on going! Candidate for "Natural Selection."

3. BJnobear

BJnobear Heavy Load Member

Aug 24, 2010
    PCB, FL
    Try the "Darwin Awards"

4. Giggles the Original

Giggles the Original Road Train Member

unreal...musta bought his cdl....or got it from a cracker jack box...

5. RAGE 18

RAGE 18 Road Train Member

Jan 31, 2011
    GOLD£N☆STAT£
    Yea he felt the hit but in his mind he thought "maybe if I act like it didnt happen it wont be as bad as it sounded maybe it was just my antennas yea thats it just the antennas"....But my buddy had a driver that hit a bridge in Oregon taking the entire top off the truck pulling a flatbed and somehow made it to Bakersfield Ca true story I swear! My bud gave him a reload back to Or made him stop at the bridge and called the cops made it seem like it just happenedto get his insurance money true story!

6. dave26027

dave26027 Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2009
    Dallas, Texas
    They're gonna make him turn in his tuque and hockey sticks for that one, aye?

7. tech10171968

tech10171968 Medium Load Member

Nov 16, 2009
    Daytona Beach, FL
    The cops blamed it on GPS, but I have another theory: my company does Michelin runs up there all the time, as well as other parts of upstate NY. From what I've seen, there are quite a few bridges in the state marked up to a foot shorter than the actual clearance (12'9"=13'9" in reality). I know that this is common knowledge in NYC, but I've also seen this happen in other parts of NY (like Rochester, for example). The problem is that some folks don't realize that this 1-foot offset is not true for every bridge!!! If you assume that all the bridge clearances are marked off by 1 foot then, sooner or later, you'll (literally) run into one where the clearance sign isn't lying.

Yodler Thanks this.
  8. groundpounder

groundpounder Road Train Member

Nov 13, 2009
    The railroad bridges in Binghamton have taken a beating this summer also.. :(

9. Hardlyevr

Hardlyevr Road Train Member

Jul 30, 2009
    Mapleton Depot,PA
    maybe his dispatcher told him he was going to be in the flatbed fleet next week, and he didn't want to change trailers? :biggrin_25526:

walstib Thanks this.
  10. dirtyrabbit

dirtyrabbit Medium Load Member

Jun 19, 2011
    KS
    Had heard of the NYC conditions, and the reciever told me it could make it in on his route. Luckily I came in late enough that I didn't hold up to much traffic, while crawling up to the bridges, and then backing up to go find the next one. Real eventful night that was!

Lesson learned...

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.