Removing Automatic Restriction on CDL

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by King Vortex, Mar 23, 2018.

1. King Vortex

King Vortex Bobtail Member

Apr 11, 2017
    Hello, I have had my CDL A for almost a year now. US Xpress made us take the test with automatics. Unfortunately I have been turned down now these last couple of months by at least 3 different jobs wanting 10 speed drivers. Im assuming ill have to take another driving test to show im capable of driving a 10 speed. Im broke and looking for a job at the moment so what is the best/cheapest way to go about doing this? Would I be able to use a box truck since it would be probably cheaper to rent/borrow? I asked a local school about this and they wanted me to take their entire CDL 4 week M-F program. I just laughed at them and said no thanks I already have my CDL.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. dptrucker

dptrucker Road Train Member

May 14, 2012
    adelanto,ca.
    A box truck doesn't qualify as class a. You will need to test in tractor trailer with a manual trans.

CJ701 and Expeditor Thank this.
  4. dptrucker

dptrucker Road Train Member

May 14, 2012
    adelanto,ca.
    Also.. the op situation is why I say to test in a manual.

rabbiporkchop, CJ701, x1Heavy and 6 others Thank this.
  5. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

Call other CDL schools. Some rent trucks for CDL tests. You just need to test in the state that issues your license.

CJ701 and Dan.S Thank this.
  6. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Where is your location?

7. BrandonCDLdriver

BrandonCDLdriver Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2017
    We had a dude in our class had a Class A cdl with auto limit and he could hardly drive that thing. Not the shifting but the truck. He couldn't back at all, in fact he was the worst backer of our little group in the truck.

8. King Vortex

Apr 11, 2017
    Dayton, Ohio.

9. King Vortex

Apr 11, 2017
    Thats pretty funny.

CJ701 Thanks this.
  10. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Probably several ways to take care of this problem.
    Maybe Nick Strimbu Inc. in Brookfield,OH uses 10 speeds and will hire you and give you a refresher including testing in a stick shift. Seems to be a good outfit and they're Teamsters. It's worth a phone call.
    Jim Palmer Trucking and Wil-Trans both use 10 speed stick shifts and have their own cdl training. The same man owns both companies. Jim Palmer runs coast to coast and Wil-Trans runs eastern half of the USA. Maybe they'll work with you to get the automatic restriction dropped, plus give you a good job.
    That's all I can think of to try considering you say you're broke.
    You'll make a good living with either of those 3 companies.

BCV, Expeditor, cjbuckeye and 3 others Thank this.
  11. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    I might be sounding mean spirited here but I am totally confused. This industry is generally moving to automatics. There are many auto company's other there. Why are you broke? This is something I consider minor. I would almost guarantee you that you will find a carrier somewhere in western Ohio Northern Kentucky or eastern Indiana that would hire you with that restriction. I'm sorry, I just know several drivers with this restriction and ALL of them are working.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2018
    Seebs and Dan.S Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.