Replace neway air beam with new suspension

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by H2oburymatt, Jun 1, 2017.

1. H2oburymatt

H2oburymatt Light Load Member

Dec 11, 2015
    If I load my flatbed so most of the load weight is on drives is substantially lessened

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. special-k

special-k Road Train Member

Dec 27, 2008
    Southern Ontario Canada
    An acquaintance of mine had that suspension on a mid 90's western star too. He never had too many issues other than parts availability like you said. Are the frame rails parallel to the ground? Are the shocks the right ones for that suspension? Sometimes these heavy spec suspensions had specific shocks. Other ones will fit but not be right. I would probably go to a stiffer shock to dampen out the hop. Or even test drive it with the shock disconnected to see if it

H2oburymatt and Oxbow Thank this.
  4. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Yeah, I know. I've heard the "all new tires" story before. I'm telling you, if the bounce or shake is sustained, it is a tire or wheel! Tires can be mis-mounted to the rim, and the wheel can be slightly off center on the hub itself and therefore the assembly is running out of round as it rolls down the road causing your problem. You need to place both drive axles up on jack stands and run this while someone else watches the drives tires. I bet you will find one or more that are going up and down as they spin.

5. H2oburymatt

Dec 11, 2015
    Heavyd I just ripped the shafts out to get them balanced after putting truck up in the air and running it to 60 mph. We can't see anything at all looks super smooth in the air. Can't see anything when it comes to the shafts but figure that's the next cheapest thing to check. Like I said I did my run out on all my wheels with tires mounted and they're all well under spec. Problem is constant over 2 sets of tires and almost Ever new part in my front end. It's definitely coming from the Rear.

6. H2oburymatt

Dec 11, 2015
    The shocks on it when I bought it were pretty shot. They were the original Western star part number and superceded to a new number because no longer made like most parts on this truck lol. Using that part number I replaced them with adjustables. 3 stiffness settings on the front and in the back for drives I replaced with a shocks from fleetpride. I will look at the brand in a bit. This is definitely worth looking into further. I didn't really think twice about the shocks other than to replace with the best available. I will measure everything too. Hoping the frame isn't tweaked

7. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Try a slower speed. At 60 those wheels are just a blur. Also, please tell me you aren't running recaps!

H2oburymatt Thanks this.
  8. BoxCarKidd

BoxCarKidd Road Train Member

Aug 26, 2014
    I do no
    I do not know anything about that suspension but will share a couple of things.
    I cannot recall this guys handle but I thank he has a red mustang avitar. Made a good point to knock all the axles out and run it with the P/D locked in. That may answer the driveline or tire and wheel question.
    If you jack up the drive tires one axle end at a time look at the run out from a distance. Do not twist it up because the power divider spider gears double the speed and the differential carrier spider gears double it again. High gear at 40 MPH on the speedo equals 160 MPH at the tires. Like HD said keep it slow and the gear drone is normal.
    One example of that is a 9670 with 500,000 miles transfered in. Thought we had it narrowed it down to one wheel set out of round a bitt. Swapped tires, and rims. Then sent the hub to a machine shop which said it was perfict .Replaced the bearings, races and reinstalled, same problem. Swapped the hub with one off a truck on the for sale line. Problem solved and I hope you did not buy that truck.
    I still find it amazing how things like this can change so much with road speed.

Oxbow and H2oburymatt Thank this.
  9. H2oburymatt

Dec 11, 2015
    All virgins on truck and on my trailer always. I'm off the mindset that a few dollars now will save me lots later.

Oxbow and Heavyd Thank this.
  10. H2oburymatt

Dec 11, 2015
    We watched them from a slow roll all the way up to 60 lol we didn't just slam the pedal til it hit 60.

11. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    I agree with the others, a sustained bounce is something out of balance. Did you check your u-joints? Apples to oranges but I had a pickup truck once that had a very bad and constant hop at a couple specific speeds. Felt like someone was rapidly kicking the bottom of the seats. Found a u-joint had a missing cap. Believe it or not I ran it like that for over 5,000km like that before I changed it lol. Once I changed it, hop was gone.

Oxbow and H2oburymatt Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.