Replace transmission & clutch: $16,000?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by truckeratlarge, Mar 13, 2015.

1. Lone Ranger 13

Lone Ranger 13 Road Train Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Asheville, NC
    I was in Nevada one night getting an oil change. Normally, I hang around and observe. But this time I decided to relax in their waiting area. I noticed that some time had passed and went out to check on the progress. I walked over and the technician was in the pit under my truck. He said,"man, I've been trying for 30 minutes to get this oil filter off but it just won't come loose." I looked under the truck and noticed he was trying to turn it the wrong way.

Skate-Board Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. rollin coal

rollin coal Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    My voltage started fluctuating a few years ago so I took my alternator to a local alternator/generator shop. I think they put a new voltage regulator in it (it's brushless) cleaned it up, painted it like new for $100 bill. Then I read on here you can get a regulator for about $20 and they are easy to swap out. Oh well. Been took for much worse. I probably would have screwed it up and ended up having to get a new alernator anyway.

4. Brandonpdx

Brandonpdx Road Train Member

Dec 27, 2007
    Elkhart, IN
    Wow. Coulda bought half a whole truck for that kind or money. Don't they have bolt in driveshafts available off the shelf to fit different transmissions?

5. Dakota1358

Dakota1358 Medium Load Member

Jun 15, 2009
    Staunton,Va
    Triple K Fleet Service next to the TA on 81 at exit 77.They do all my work and usually fast and good.

truckeratlarge Thanks this.
  6. brian991219

brian991219 Road Train Member

Aug 10, 2013
    Lords Valley, PA
    If your clutch job was done at a garage in Pennsylvania you may have recourse to reduce the bill under Pennsylvania law. In PA a garage can not charge you for something you have not agreed to via a written estimate or verbal notification of the cost as the job progresses. As for your $16,000 clutch job, how much of that bill is for the clutch and transmission changeover and how much of that is for the other diag and repair time related to the cruise/idle electrical issues? Below is a section from a pamphlet regarding automotive repairs in Pennsylvania, I believe the law applies to commercial vehicles as well.
    What laws protect me when I am getting a car repaired?
    Having a car repaired can sometimes be difficult, especially when you don't know exactly what needs to be done. But there are laws that help! Here are some of the things that the law requires.

• A repair shop cannot say your car needs a repair if it does not.
    • A repair shop cannot charge for repairs unless you agree to have the work done. If the cost of the repairs cannot be estimated beforehand, you have the right to ask that the repair shop call you, tell you the cost, and get your authorization before starting the repairs.
    • You have the right to ask for the return of any parts replaced or, if the parts have to be returned somewhere else, you have the right to look at them before they are sent.
    • You have the right to be told whether any parts put in your car were new, used, rebuilt, or reconditioned.
    • Unless you agree otherwise, repairs must be completed within 24 hours.
    • If you are to be charged for an estimate or for storage of your car, the fees should be posted in a place where they are easy to see.
    • If the repairs were not done correctly, and you complain promptly, you have the right to have the work redone at no extra charge.
    Where should I call to make a complaint?
    If you think the laws explained in this pamphlet have been broken, you may contact the State Bureau of Consumer Protection. To find the office nearest you, call 1 (800) 441- 2555, or write to the Bureau of Consumer Protection, 14th Floor, Strawberry Square, Harrisburg, PA 17120.
    You may also contact your local Bureau of Consumer Protection, a private attorney, or your local Legal Services office.

truckeratlarge and xsetra Thank this.
  7. rickybobby

rickybobby Road Train Member

Jul 10, 2010
    greensboro, nc
    I would have bought a alternator online, then have it over night.

8. fullerman

fullerman Bobtail Member

Sep 25, 2014
    It would be around $7000 at my shop with a reman 13, bell housing, cross shafts, fork, shortened drive shaft, clutch and oil.

9. zinita17601

zinita17601 Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2010
    lancaster pa
    that's really hard to believe.

10. fullerman

fullerman Bobtail Member

Sep 25, 2014
    American shifty 2101 e Broadway north little rock ar, ask to talk to scotty and find out for yourself my friend.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 21, 2015
    Reason for edit: remove phone number
  11. zinita17601

zinita17601 Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2010
    lancaster pa
    Parts alone run around $7000.i had the same job done on my truck last year cost me 11k.the only thing extra was the cooler.1850 torque for both tranny and clutch.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 21, 2015
    Reason for edit: edit quote
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.