Replacement 3406E head.

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by BoxCarKidd, May 20, 2019.

1. BoxCarKidd

BoxCarKidd Road Train Member

Aug 26, 2014
    I have to have one as mine is cracked. Have gotten Cat remans exchange. With the core charge it is up around $8,000 dollars.
    I see aftermarket new heads from $3500 - $5,000 dollars. I lean toward the one from someone I have been doing business with. Of course that is the $5,000 dollar one but they have sold them for some years without a problem.
    What is others experience?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Intothesunset

Intothesunset Road Train Member

Apr 15, 2019
    truck
    You should be able to buy non running 3406E engines for $8K or less. Depending if the rotate freely or not.

BoxCarKidd Thanks this.
  4. BoxCarKidd

BoxCarKidd Road Train Member

Aug 26, 2014
    How does that help me? I know where there is a running early model C15 for $4500. I thank they are the same head. It has a million 3 on it. It is still just a core to me. Last time I got into this I bought a core from a salvage yard for $800. Guarantied not to be cracked and thick enough to be plained if needed. Cat rejected it for pitting. Send it back but they ended up accepting it. That was a big confrontation.
    This truck has had a Cat crate engine put in it. It was ran hot and cracked the head. It just needs a head but will do an inframe while we are at it.

5. Intothesunset

Intothesunset Road Train Member

Apr 15, 2019
    truck
    I do apologize for my answer not helping.
    Either your CAT shop is jerks or you need a real mechanic/machinist to do a head rebuild, that is not an employee at CAT.

BoxCarKidd Thanks this.
  6. starmac

starmac Road Train Member

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    My neighbor put an after market head on his, it lasted less than 5000 miles, before dropping a valve and shelling that hole. I think it broke the head too,but am not sure. I know he had his old head rebuilt.
    I do not know what brand it was or what caused it either.

BoxCarKidd Thanks this.
  7. 062

062 Road Train Member

Oct 20, 2013
    @SmokinCAT i think posted about using a aftermarket head,but I don’t remember what brand.

BoxCarKidd Thanks this.
  8. Goodysnap

Goodysnap Road Train Member

Jul 12, 2017
    CAT is anally picky about core return policies. Round here anyways.

Cylinder packs must be repackaged in all original packaging and rod caps torqued. The valve bridges always come in the box with the head. I accidentally put em' in the platinum box and they rejected the whole core........had to go show em' where they were.

9. spsauerland

spsauerland Road Train Member

May 31, 2010
    West Harrison, In
    I think it boils down to who is doing core acceptance criteria. I have turned in cylinder heads with total area around combustion face eroded and missing valve faces and received full core credit, yet turned in a flywheel with heat cracks and it was denied!
    I think the aftermarket head mentioned was from American Crane and tractor was the CGR Ghinassi heads from Italy.

10. jimmycrackcorn

jimmycrackcorn Light Load Member

Jul 13, 2013
    I had my 96 e model head rebuilt with the upgraded springs and new valves. It ran about $5k. I just did an inframe on my c15 (same head) and ordered a CAT reman for $3000 then sent it to the machine shop to get it straight and setup the springs (absolute must with a cat reman). They machine where the springs set then put washers under the springs. Ran another $1500. I can order band new castings for around $2900. My head was cracked in 3 places that were visible and CAT took it as a core.

The head I took in to the machine shop was one of the better ones they've seen and they only took off .004 to get it straight, but even that little bit would've put the tolerances out of spec when assembled and would've voided the warranty. It's $250 to surface the head. Regardless of which direction you go, get it surfaced.

BoxCarKidd Thanks this.
  11. Superhauler

Superhauler TEACHER OF MEN

Jan 30, 2010
    keep stroking.
    I use after market head on mine. There is a individual on FB that sells aftermarket has a good rep with the ones he sells. Think the name is Robert Calixco.

Oxbow and BoxCarKidd Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.