Replacing my truck batteries, how important are CCA numbers?

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by gekko1323, Mar 26, 2023.

1. skallagrime

skallagrime Road Train Member

Apr 10, 2012
    Indiana

Not what i was ever talking about, do YOU have a magic way to connect the trucks battery cables that allows you to connect your battery to ground without using the terminals?

Rideandrepair and Hammer166 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Gilbyson

Gilbyson Bobtail Member

Apr 26, 2012
    Wyoming
    I said that it minimizes the chance of a spark, not negates it. If you remove the positive first, then there's a chance of arcing the positive terminal to the frame. If you remove the negative first, you can touch the frame without arcing.

There still exists the chance of a spark being produced as the negative lead is removed from the negative post, but that same chance exists with the positive lead as well.

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  4. Hammer166

Hammer166 Crusty Information Officer

Aug 18, 2007
    ~8600+' and loving it!
    No... I'm good, but I'm not that good! Best one can do is to make sure everything possible is shut off in the truck.

5. flood

flood Road Train Member

Dec 25, 2010
    my truck came factory with 4x650cca... i changed them to 4x1,100cca... Zero problems with the starter

6. Gilbyson

Gilbyson Bobtail Member

Apr 26, 2012
    Wyoming
    A problem would most likely occur in a newer engine with good compression, tight oil clearances, on a cold winter day, running heavy weight oil and with additional loads making the starter work harder, such as an air compressor.

Also the gear reduction starters (38mt and 39mt) probably cant handle the heat load as well as an older starter.

So yeah, most trucks in most situations won't have a problem unless conditions are just right.

7. Siinman

Siinman Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2017
    Kansas City, MO.
    Newer engines run lighter oil so never gonna be a problem.

8. Gilbyson

Gilbyson Bobtail Member

Apr 26, 2012
    Wyoming
    If truck drivers cant read the literature that is supplied with their starter, then why would they read the literature that comes with their truck and tells them what oil to use?

How many truck drivers are religiously adding 60 weight Lukas oil into their engines?

9. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    They suggest connecting
    Yes. Connect ground to frame. Most suggested way is to connect the ground to the body/frame of the vehicle with the dead battery. Doing that last, will avoid an arc. We used to touch bumpers on the old cars. Only needed one jumper cable, or any piece of wire thick enough, for positive sides. Usually used both cables, hooked to the positives since the cables were usually old and bad. The under hood remotely located jumping terminals on a lot of Trucks are a great idea. The one that impresses me is the car jumpers that use an assessory/cig lighter. Some of the new cars have a small accessory receptacle built into front bumper. Little hidden door. Pretty cool.

Gilbyson Thanks this.
  10. Hammer166

Hammer166 Crusty Information Officer

Aug 18, 2007
    ~8600+' and loving it!
    I tried the cig lighter ones years ago, the limited current means it takes forever to transfer the power needed to start.

The little receptacle in the bumper is just to get the doors open when the 12v battery is dead. The electric cars have a 12v battery to power up the computers so you can use the high voltage battery. It's completely possible to have a fully charged main battery and you still need to jump the 12v battery to do anything.

flood and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  11. markster1957

markster1957 Light Load Member

Jan 21, 2014
    boise id
    Yes she can put 925 or even 1000 in there without any problem at all

gekko1323 and flood Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.