Reporting 'Illegal' hauling?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by IROCUBabe, Jun 8, 2015.

1. clausland

clausland Road Train Member

Dec 5, 2014
    North Woods
    Ah yes, the ole green eye syndrome raises its ugly head again, what a country we've become !.....

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. PackRatTDI

PackRatTDI Licensed to Ill

Jul 15, 2006
    El Chuco, Tejas
    This MYOB attitude is part of the reason our industry is so ####ed up these days.

rank and LGarrison Thank this.
  4. tinytim

tinytim Road Train Member

Oct 29, 2007
    Northern Ontario
    True enough. However, when someone states that 3 out of 4 are doing it illegally I figure they are either wrong or wasting their time on a lost cause.

5. truckon

truckon Swamp Thing

Dec 16, 2011
    Like I'd tell you!
    How are they undercutting rates? DOT number is free to file. Running over hours? I just cant see that making a huge difference.

6. Jumbo

Jumbo Road Train Member

Sep 4, 2009
    Appleton, Wisconsin
    Are you sure the horses are illegal, did you check their green cards? Papers please...

Woodys and G.Anthony Thank this.
  7. bigdogpile

bigdogpile Road Train Member

May 16, 2010
    fontana ca
    Unless the reporting party as evidence to support his claim then he is just speculating and yea speculators need to MTOB..

8. IROCUBabe

IROCUBabe Road Train Member

Apr 9, 2008
    Dallas, TX
    Its pretty easy to figure out when someone is running illegal when they are advertising themselves all over various places with a truck that is well over 8000 lbs gross curb weight at the dealer and a trailer that is 5000 or better empty. It does not take rocket science to know that a 2500 pulling a 10 horse trailer is going to weight well over 10k empty much less loaded (figure 1k per horse). They also need to do IFTA. It does not matter who or what you are claiming yourself, their claims is they are "private haulers", if you are over 10,000 and transporting horses FOR MONEY it is illegal to not be dot registered and if over 26k IFTA. So if they are hauling and no dot info on the truck boom clear as day. You could be running in a van if you are over 10k your are required by law to follow dot regs and be registered if you are running for payment over state lines.

It is not legal to haul horses for money on farm plates. It is legal to haul horse for money as exempted for hire as some horses are exempted, some aren't. But you STILL need a dot # and to follow dot rules. A level playing field should be -everyone's- concern. Since when is it okay to break the law because its not my business? I suppose you walk on by violent crimes and theft in progress too because its not your business? It IS MY business. It is directly effecting MY BUSINESS. When you figure that staying dot legal requires almost 35 cpm out of my base rate pay everything rate and these clowns are running around under cutting the rate that barely pays the fuel and dot legal crap because they don't play by the rules and don't have that expense. This would be like seeing illegal non dot semi trucks running red diesel stealing all your loads because they can cut your base rate in half for not following the laws and going meh not my business. Well if you are okay with people taking food of your table and money out your pocket over some weird mental need to feel that it is better for country thats on you, not this chick. I am running legal, I paid to run legal, and I expect those that did not to get forced to either get legal or gtfo. When one of these uninsured idiots slams into the back of your families car then will it be your business? Well sorry, I do not plan to wait for that to happen. This whole look the other way crap is the real sad part of our country today, you'd rather see honest people doing it right fail and law breaking criminals succeed. Pff.

For future reference on those wondering you you can report illegal haulers of any kind via this number: 1-888-368-7238

rank and LGarrison Thank this.
  9. G.Anthony

G.Anthony Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2014
    You cannot compare a crime of violence from hauling horses.

No one takes any food off my table, nor money out of my pocket.

Why is it every time someone has some sort of insane beef against someone running a rig, they use the "what if they slammed into the back of your family car"? Schtick..???

That can also be said of drunk drivers, sleepy drivers, and illegal racing. Meaning it's a very old and spent up non-argument.

truckon Thanks this.
  10. rpad139

rpad139 Heavy Load Member

Jan 9, 2014
    Ca
    2 guys 1 horse. Thats all i have to say....inside joke

11. Bdog

Bdog Road Train Member

Nov 6, 2014
    Get over it. This crap occurs in every industry. How do the legit home builders and landscapers compete with those using illegal alien laborers who work for pennies on the dollar?

I have a dot number and run 5 trucks under CDL limit but over 10k interstate. It is a hassle with the med cards, dot inspections, log books, etc but it really doesn't cost me that much more. My auto insurance costs exactly the same as it did before we went interstate. It is more of a hassle than a cost. I sure like not being scared every time we are pulled over because I know we are legal. Johnny law will catch up to the others eventually.

Swiss Mountain Dog Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.