Republic Service

Discussion in 'Waste Removal and Garbage Truck Driver Forum' started by Chris9906, Jun 9, 2012.

1. hotrodchevy

hotrodchevy Bobtail Member

Jan 7, 2015
    Hello

I recently declined or turned down a job offer from Republic services to drive their front loader and roll off truck here is why.

For nearly a month of interviews then waiting 2 to 3 weeks before the next phone call I kept hoping they would explain the pay or give me a dollar amount before they hired me.

The H.R. person in Phoenix,AZ told me when I asked directly what the pay was, he said everyone starts out at 17 a hr for all new hires and that you would get whats called incentive pay.

So that made me think great news I will be making 17 a hour.
    The first interview in person I went to they did not even want to talk to me they had me do a inspection on the front load truck and then drive it in reverse threw about 200 feet of pylons that were each about 20ft apart. They had me do this two times both times I did if perfectly not touching one pylon. They then had me drive the front loader around town and on the highway. I did all of this with flying colors.

Well they called me to come in for a 3rd interview to drive the rollback. At this time I asked a direct question to the hiring person. How does the pay work?

I was told by the hiring / training person for the roll backs that once you are hired on you will make $17.00 a hour only while in training. Once you are out of training you are no longer paid a hourly rate, You are then only paid by how many loads you can make. This is what they call incentive pay. Here is the definition of incentive. An incentive is something that motivates an individual to perform an action.

Question - Who dictates your loads?
    answer - The dispatcher gives you runs or loads each day.
    Next question.
    Question - How much does each roll back load pay.
    Answer - Depends on where the dispatcher decides to send you, All loads and runs pay differently.
    Hmmmm
    I can see how favoritism would play a factor in how the dispatcher assigns daily runs or loads.
    I am not cool with those style work ethics at all.
    The hiring person kept saying its all about how smart of a driver you are.

But I disagree.
    Suppose the dispatcher for some reason does not like you, then you are at the mercy of that dispatcher. Or what if you get stuck in traffic that day. Again you make no money.

Once I got the hiring people at Republic to shoot straight with me on how they pay their drivers I knew right away that is not the way I want to work everyday.
    This type of pay structure is a ultra safe bet for the company because no matter what they don't lose anything, but on the other hand it leaves the drivers hanging on by a thread in hopes that each day they will get good runs.
    Not very cool of a company.
    That tells me that they don't give a crap about their employees and from what I have been reading about what other past employees are saying on this post is just proof that they are a joke.

Something else that kept coming up in conversation with republic was they also kept saying that a good smart driver will be at work at 2:50AM to get those good runs in order to beat a lot of the traffic. For the hiring person to say that, it told me that even they know that traffic can be a issue on how a driver is paid.

Republic told me they cant have drivers getting paid hourly and just goofing off the entire day.
    To me there is a serious lack of confidence in their drivers and that is exactly why the pay structure is set up the way it is.

Republic service driving job. No I'll pass

Last edited: Jan 7, 2015
    Mike2633 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Jokingypsy

Jokingypsy Medium Load Member

Jan 4, 2013
    Baltimore, MD
    One word of advice, I worked for them recently, and let's just say they don't call them trash trucks because they haul. It's usually because they ARE TRASHED! Depending on where you live, if it's out in the sticks and they dont have a large shop they will usually have the nicer equipment. If you run out of one of locations with a big shop, you'll be driving junk. Call me a primadonna if you like, but I won't drive a truck without A/C and an FM radio. Back many years ago I also worked for WM, they were worse. They will both put you through the most boring stupid driver orientation in the world, they will explain what stop signs and other common road signs mean. They will beat their chests and talk safety till their blue in the face, that safety BS ends when it's time to fix their trucks. There is a bunch of people in this world I don't like, and I would tell them to stay away. Do yourselves a favor, find a better way to make a living. I'd go into crime before trash hauling again. Then again it's your life, if you enjoy smelling garbage, driving junk, and going to the landfill, good luck. If you don't beleive me, just look at the trash trucks you see running around.

Name withheld

Mike2633 Thanks this.
  4. asavage1576

asavage1576 Light Load Member

Mar 18, 2013
    Dallas,Tx
    I agree with JOkinggypsy. I am a mechanic at WM. What lured me in was the sign on bonus. Pretty nice. THey preach safety all day long, but holy #### when we ask for parts they try to find a way to rig #### up before a part is bought. Lets just say once my 1 year commitment is up in 2 months I'm going back to OTR trucks. I will say they pay well and offer OT

Mike2633 Thanks this.
  5. seatwarmer

seatwarmer Bobtail Member

May 1, 2013
    Totally agree with you hodrodchevy, which is why I work for a municipality where they do pay by the hour, provide free healthcare/dental and I still get a pension.

Also considering almost all modern trucks will have cameras that are recording constantly (for insurance purposes.... /rolleyes) and are GPS tracked, they have all the information they need to know who is slacking and who isn't.

You read it right, they don't give a #### about their workforce. Big private haulers are a joke.

6. J. JETT

J. JETT Medium Load Member

May 10, 2014
    Houston Texas
  7. mickey67

mickey67 Bobtail Member

Feb 28, 2018
    does anyone know the DUI policy with Republic?

8. Dips***

Dips*** Bobtail Member

Jun 9, 2018
    Yea don't get a d.u.i. in there truck and u will be fine

Mike2633 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.