Reputation Points

Discussion in 'Truck Forum Information Center' started by WiseOne, Aug 18, 2006.

Do you Want To Keep User Reputation (green dots)?

1. *

Yes

102 vote(s)
    85.0%
  2. *

No

19 vote(s)
    15.8%
  1. TurboTrucker

TurboTrucker Road Train Member

Feb 23, 2005
    Rossville, Georgia
    I like the idea immensely. It's an encouragement and an indication of contribution to the forums. I'm going to try and offer points when I see a poster offering thoughful opinions, insight, assistance towards others, etc.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. mydogsnores

mydogsnores Bobtail Member

Aug 28, 2006
    Louisville,Kentucky
    Thats what i do now ,until cybergal was kind enough to give me a added point & acually tell me , i had no clue i had the power to do that for others. As Mack did the return favor for her, lol i did the same!! after all her news posts make my morning coffee taste better! plus she liked my dogs jogging suit!! lol she has scored many points in my book right there hehe!:smt080 theres many here at the forum that deserve the reccognition they get, if not for them the forum wouldnt be what it is! alot of folks are very helpful!! some are appreciative , some i dunno maybe they dunno how to see who sent the possitive pnts.

4. madbunny

madbunny Medium Load Member

Jul 17, 2006
    Indiana
    Actually I think they are pretty cool. Makes your board unique.

5. Truck Vet

Truck Vet <strong>NRA AMA Libertarian</strong>

Aug 30, 2006
    I like the rep power dots. The thing I would like improved
    is that on the other forum I use (same basic format as this)
    when I scroll down the lists of threads there is
    a symbol by each thread that I have a comment
    on. Maybe I can enable this function on this forum
    and just don't know how. But sure is a good feature
    I would like to see on this forum also.

6. BUBBABONE

BUBBABONE Light Load Member

Oct 30, 2005
    SOUTH CAROLINA
    I think it is great. Wiseone you have put together the greatest website and circle of cyber friends that I know of. I cant wait to get on here when i get home everyday to see what going on. Tks wiseone!! The people that are opposed to this are just worried about the negetive.

7. WiseOne

WiseOne Inactive contact bullhaulerswife

Feb 8, 2004
    Truckers Report, TN
    BubbaBone, that is so cool what you said! That makes me want to keep going...LOL...sometimes its hard when taking a butt-chewing, LOL. Thanks!

8. Cybergal

Cybergal Road Train Member

Oct 20, 2008
    Is that a new brand of bubblegum?:laughing8:

I think I need more time to rest!:confused1:

9. munrkr

munrkr Medium Load Member

Dec 14, 2006
    Okay, now i get it. And thanks Cybergal for explaination. Off the cuff i would say sure, keep em. I pay attention to the number of posts by members as i read them. I used to think that the members with the most posts had the most experience, but discovered it wasn't necessarily the case when i found a member with well over a thousand posts that hadn't graduated from school yet. And at the rate i'm going, i'll be the next one!
    Still, I say keep 'em. It's just one of many factors to consider when reading a public forum. Submited for one's consideration. Importance determined only by the member. Now that i know how it works, i may chime in with an asessment or two. And invite others to do me likewise. But obviously, at the end of the day, "we paddle our own". :smt070 :smt072

10. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Medium Load Member

Jun 11, 2006
    Texas
    My thoughts on reputation points, for what it is worth.

• Admin/Staff/Moderators - Should have no more rep power than anybody else. The scale should be the same. You guys/gals have the ability of infractions/banning. Personally, I think it is best if Admin/Staff/Moderators are not in the rep equation at all, let the be the members way of distinguishing the good from the bad.
    • Bad rep needs to be monitored/controlled - Reputation does one thing to a forum if not controlled heavily. It prevents many people from speaking their mind. Your opinion may not be the popular opinion, but that does not mean it isn't the right opinion, and I have seen too many times on various boards where someone in the minority on a debate will bet red repped to death, simply because they are voicing a different opinion. There is a large webmaster forum (digitalpoint) that does it in a good way. If you give negative rep, it goes against your rep as well. That prevents the select few on a board that run around red repping everyone that doesn't agree with them.
    I personally don't like the reputation system, mainly because it allows people to affect others in a negative way, while doing it in a secretive manner. If you disagree with someone, make it known in a post. If that isn't the right way to do it in certain situations, PM them, or if the post is offensive, report them. Red repping is just too often the cowardly way out of things.

11. TurboTrucker

TurboTrucker Road Train Member

Feb 23, 2005
    Rossville, Georgia

• Yep...we just reach into the reputation bag and just take what we want. Uh..NOT. Those green dots are not that important to me, but it's interesting to watch them sometimes on others.

I started with one rep point like everyone else when we changed over to this board. So did every other moderater and administrator, with the exception of Wiseone, but since he owns the board and provides it to everyone freely, you'll have to take that up with him. Quite frankly, I'm amazed that I haven't been given a bunch of negative hits, because I tend to step on more toes than others. I think to date, I've had one, and that was the day before yesterday. I didn't even return the compliment. I understood why he was upset with me.

Hey...there are people that can walk into a room and tee everyone off. There's only been a couple of people that have seen negative reps to the point that it kicked them off, but then...they deserved it. We look out for things like that, and of course anyone that thinks they are being treated unfairly can contact a moderator or an administrator for a review of the situation.

It really hasn't been a problem for this board.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.