Requirements to be a machine operator or crane operator?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by nazgul, Apr 26, 2018.

1. nazgul

nazgul Bobtail Member

Jan 20, 2018
    What are the requirements to get hired as a machine operator driving bulldozers and such or crane operator? Whats the pay like for both compared to OTR?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Shock Therapy

Shock Therapy Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2016
    n.cntrl il
    Experience and know how are two big advantages, as far as pay, that might depend on you location.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2018
    nazgul Thanks this.
  4. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    I'm not sure on equipment operators. I don't think there's much requirements wise.

A crane operator on the other hand. Requires extensive training and requires a cdl license. I don't know about other licenses or certificates.

There's a lot of safety involved in operating cranes. The jobs pay good enough that trying to land a job would be tough. No one quits like truckers have a tendency to do. And you really got to be safety conscious. All it takes is 1 slip up and YOU'RE FIRED.

My son did the school through the marines. 3 months before he got a job and lasted 1 week. Now he's doing nursing school.

What I'm not understanding though. Is he's required to have a cdl to drive a crane on the highways. Yet, he's not required to have a med cert.

nazgul and Shock Therapy Thank this.
  5. Woodchuck88

Woodchuck88 Medium Load Member

Jan 4, 2017
    New York
    Depends on the company. Large construction companies won’t even touch you unless you have years of experience and training. Smaller companies will let you run equipment but pay is lower then building highways. Crane operators need years of training but the pay is huge, extremely hard to break into the industry. I haul equipment for a construction company so I’m running equipment every day, really helps break up the driving.

6. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Call your local international brotherhood of operating engineers and ask these questions and see how to get into their training program.

Dad was a heavy equipment operator for 35 years, he did his training the hard way - on the job but now that's rare.

7. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    Yeah, good luck with that one. Usually, the only way in was if your old man was an operator. Today, with the lack of qualified operators, an accredited school is about the only way. I learned being an operator, from driving dump trucks, many places did away with the operator and the driver loaded their own truck, and that may still be true.
    I think a loader or crane operator pays a bit better than trucking, but be advised, it's an incredibly boring job, feeding that hopper all day long,,,

8. DougA

DougA Road Train Member

Dec 16, 2013
    Retired,In my shop in Md.
    My oldest son is a Master Heavy Equipment Mechanic in the Operating Engineers. Also has his crane CCO's,and NCCCO's,crane inspection. He can run anything in the hall,but lead crane operator,and master mechanic are usually top pay. He makes a tremendous amount of money,plus great benefits. Always in demand,can work whatever hours he wants.
    Get hold of your local Operating Engineers hall,you never know.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2018
  9. OLDSKOOLERnWV

OLDSKOOLERnWV Captain Redbeard

Nov 29, 2011
    West Virginia
    Our Hall has 2 different pay scales for Operating Engineers. High scale is roughly $36. Hr now, with Crane certification add $1.00 extra per hour.
    And Joe Blow excavating probably pays $12-$18 hr ?
    Call your local hall if you have real interest.

And .... "Just because you can start a machine, does not make you an Operator"! Safety is always #1 in everything you do, no matter what the job is.

nazgul, Shock Therapy and DougA Thank this.
  10. Paddlewagon

Paddlewagon Light Load Member

Sep 17, 2017
    Llano Estacado
    Might be able to start out as an apprentice/swamper out in the oil patch and then work your way up..........they got signs all over the place in the Permian and Mid-Con areas.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.