Reserved parking spot

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by pavrom, Sep 3, 2021.

1. pavrom

pavrom Road Train Member

Apr 29, 2012
    NE illinois
    I have a load to deliver in Indiana on Tuesday . I was wondering if its safe to leave just a loaded trailer on the paid spot , hate to do 230 miles roundtrip if not

77fib77 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Arctic_fox

Arctic_fox Experienced mx13 execrator

Sep 16, 2016
    50/50 If you paid and get it okeyed by the truckstop then likely yes. However if anything happens to the trailer they will just shrug at you. Better option would be finding a secured drop lot. Many will let you buy a few days and have insurance to cover the trailer if it say gets vandalized.

pavrom Thanks this.
  4. kidz bop

kidz bop Medium Load Member

Oct 5, 2017
    lets suppose you get the okay, then at the very least put one of them locks that goes around the king pin to reduce chances of trailer theft.

pavrom Thanks this.
  5. TallJoe

TallJoe Road Train Member

Apr 12, 2016
    Chicagoland
    No, it is not safe and you know it.

homeskillet and Roberts450 Thank this.
  6. danny23tx

danny23tx Road Train Member

Feb 16, 2016
    Austin,Tx
    Tape your receipt to the front . I mean anything is possible but it would be nice to have a kingpin lock.

7. TallJoe

Apr 12, 2016
    Chicagoland
    This is how thieves work in Chicagoland or any major city, I guess.
    There are parking spots, similar to a truck stop, in which everyone can have access to.
    A thief bobtails onto the yard, hooks up to a dropped trailer and takes off.
    In case he is caught, he plays innocent, saying he had instructions to hook up the trailer...he made a mistake, he is sorry.
    A loaded trailer might have too much ballast for a thief to handle...they may not exactly have an idea what to do with the unwanted cargo.
    Kingpin lock may deter a thief, I use one too but the lock it has can be drilled through in 15 seconds, so for a thief pro this is not a big deal.
    The thieves can be as bold as chaining up to your truck and dragging it out from underneath the trailer.
    I thought about a pneumatic switch, hidden and camouflaged, to prevent air supply. Also, an electrical cut off switch, for both truck and trailer....even flashers would not work. At least at night it make a trailer like that to be a subject for pullover.
    I think that there is only so much you can do...but dropped trailer, unattended, in a easy access parking lot is an invitation for a thief and also the insurance might be not so keen to honor the claim. I would not do it.

homeskillet, JoeyJunk and Speed_Drums Thank this.
  8. Mototom

Mototom Road Train Member

May 7, 2019
    I’ve done it, pad lock it throw a lock on the kingpin call it gtg of approved by your company.
    If you’re paranoid chain the wheels lol

9. TallJoe

Apr 12, 2016
    Chicagoland
    Not your trailer, not your worry.
    I've seen enough thievery here to afford a dose of paranoia. They steal your only trailer today and u are ####ed...
    Do you even own your equipment?

Bean Jr. and ProfessionalNoticer Thank this.
  10. Mototom

Mototom Road Train Member

May 7, 2019
    No but it wouldn’t change anything if I did bud don’t take it so personally.
    Your trailer could be stolen out of your yard, but it’s not likely.
    It’s not likely a properly secured trailer parked in a decent neighborhood(I’m not literally meaning a neighborhood) is going to be stolen.
    hell op could find a tow yard to store it for a little bit more money.

11. RunningAces

RunningAces Road Train Member

Jul 2, 2017
    I picked this thing up. At least they will have to try a little harder if they are going to steal my flatbed.
    The Enforcer King Pin Lock

ProfessionalNoticer Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.