Reserved parking strikes again

Discussion in 'Truck Stops' started by homeskillet, Nov 27, 2019.

1. homeskillet

homeskillet Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2013
    Dayton, OH
    The Knoxville Petro at the Watt Road exit is right now, as I write this, stenciling ALL the parking spaces directly across from the main building with "RESERVED".

Just FYI.

I don't like this trend at all......but no one asked me, either. Drive safe.

mjd4277, Coffey, roshea and 10 others Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Tall Mike

Tall Mike Road Train Member

Aug 20, 2014
    New York
    I avoid those places like the plague..

mitmaks, mjd4277, Coffey and 6 others Thank this.
  4. homeskillet

Jun 1, 2013
    Dayton, OH
    Yeah, I'm trying hard to use those smaller stops (Speedway, Thorntons, etc) and hidey holes.

I'm really not a fan of Petro in general, but I had to maximize my drive time today. Also, the food here is not bad, as Iron Skillets go.

I gotta start cooking in the truck again, but that's an issue for a different thread....

Coffey, PE_T, Lumper Humper and 5 others Thank this.
  5. Brandt

Brandt Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2012
    I think they will put themselves out of business. The restaurants are the first sign they are losing customers. They close about 10pm and open 6am at many TA/Petro. Remember when they were so busy they had buffet at all the TA. I stop a Love's now because they have better shower rewards and driver rewards. I don't have to play the TA/Petro game plus pay for parking. The paid parking is out of control at TA/Petro. You stop at TA /Petro say 11pm your only food option is the roller hotdog or something from convenient store. The TA in Hurricane West Virginia closed the restaurant and put in pool table and video games. It was not good truck stop but it looks more like they going out of business vs open for truck drivers.

Dave1837, PE_T, mjd4277 and 5 others Thank this.
  6. homeskillet

Jun 1, 2013
    Dayton, OH
    Too bad "sit-down" dining isn't part of Love's business model.

7. Concorde

Concorde Road Train Member

Jun 29, 2016
    West Melbourne Florida
    I actually like it, and here's why.,
    If you're a loyal customer and purchase your fuel at TA/Petro (Use the NASTC fuel card) you will get 2 ultra credits per day once you reach platinum. You get to use 2 daily..one for parking and one for a shower or meal.. Essentially it makes the non fuel customers pay to park, allowing loyal customers like me a better shot at parking where I get my fuel..

On top of that, my 4 cents per gallon credit adds up quick on my rewards card..

8. Brandt

Brandt Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2012
    TA/Petro is very vague about their new system. You have pump 20,000 gallons a year I think to be Ultra Platinum. You only get 10 days on shower credits. You buy 1,000 a month from Loves you get 2 free shower credits everyday and unlimited drink refills and 3 points for every gallon you pumps.

9. JonJon78

JonJon78 Road Train Member

Jul 1, 2018
    No, the non fuel customers just park around the edges and the make a spot locations making it hard for the fueling & paying customers to get around...

They lost me partly because of that... I fueled last year around $50k at TA/Petro not to mention all the money spent on Coffee, Food, and everything else.

This year I've fueled at TA/Petro twice...

faux_maestro, Tall Mike, PE_T and 3 others Thank this.
  10. homeskillet

Jun 1, 2013
    Dayton, OH
    Fair enough......

11. Buc

Buc Medium Load Member

Nov 17, 2012
    Usually I aim for a Petro if I'm on 34 and cannot find or am not near a good independent location, if only because of the restaurant and, for many of them, a quiet place to sit and read/draw/study/chillax. (I have a list of the ones that have quiet rooms...and it ain't many.) Thankfully my company reimburses any paid parking I need. Other than that, I fuel at Love's as much as possible, because those fuel reward points add up QUICK. Of course, the problem with Love's is every other Harry, Tom, and Joe Schmoe out there often packs those places in come sundown, so I'm particular about which ones I overnight at, if I'm unable to get my fuel/shower stop in during the day (which with Love's is usually what I try to do, so I don't have to deal with the dumbness of playing bumper trucks with all the mega guys--and the fact that I can now say "mega" and not refer to me is a blessing in itself!).

If not for the vegetarian minestrone soup and Kings Hawaiian rolls some offer, I'd avoid PFJ like the plague altogether. But sometimes it ends up that I have to either fuel or stop there (I can only fuel at places that take T-Chek and they're one of them), which isn't too bad most times. But I despise their business model and what they've become of late.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.