Respect my Authoritay!

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by God prefers Diesels, Aug 27, 2020.

1. NightWind

NightWind Road Train Member

Nov 11, 2006
    Sunny South, AL
    Yes it matters especially if you don't get paid. Then you don't know which bond you file against, not to mention most shippers don't want their freight double brokered in case of a claim, they don't know who's insurance to file against.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    No it really doesn't.

If you book and deliver a load with broker a who got the load from broker b, broker a is who owes you money, not broker b.

In the case of insurance, broker a assumes the responsibility for the load for the consignee when they book it from broker b, the insurance is covered by the carrier they broker the load to.

4. Brettj3876

Brettj3876 Road Train Member

Nov 18, 2014
    Land of local
    If you're with a dispatch service try to cut ties with them as soon as possible. Leaving money on the table that way.

If you put up with the oilfield bs this shouldn't be too hard either Lol

5. Lite bug

Lite bug Road Train Member

May 3, 2014
    Columbus Ohio
    Contact broker anytime it is needed. It would be bad etiquette if you had trust in the Dispatch Service. Your Ship and Captain they work for you. I started out like you and worked with a dispatch service they were honest but were just starting out. They went out of business. This forum was not around as far as I know. Keep reading and asking questions. Read the broker section on here you can gain insight about negotiation what questions to ask and when.

6. God prefers Diesels

God prefers Diesels Road Train Member

Jun 26, 2020
    South Texas
    Because it's illegal, and I figure for a good reason. Plus, if they're double brokering, I'm getting screwed even harder than I should. I don't want to take loads from some guy in India sitting around in his underwear smashing F5 on a load board helping screw me over. I can already screw myself over good enough.

Now I'm as rookie as it gets. So if I'm over thinking it, I'm happy to listen.

7. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    It’s only illegal if Broker A’s contract or confirmation sheet States double brokering not allowed, and Broker B sells the Load. Even then it’s between the two. No Law against Double Brokering, it happens all the time, legally, with both Brokers knowledge. And unfortunately it happens illegally even more so, I imagine.

8. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Yeah ok, I see the problem.

As r&r said, it isn’t illegal.

It really is a breech of contract between two parties technically speaking but here is thing, you only get screwed if you accept a load below your operating cost plus or get this mindset that you deserve every penny.

If the load makes you money, who cares what others make, you deal with your real numbers.

This is where people get hung up, you wait for that $2.75/mile and pass up several $2.65/mile loads.

9. God prefers Diesels

Jun 26, 2020
    South Texas
    Alright, thanks for the explanation. My dispatcher's manager saw what I had posted in their messaging app, so she got me and the dispatcher on three way, and she tore his tail up one side and down the other. And I guess "this is not the first time I've had to talk to you about this" ! Feeling a little better about it. I've got all weekend to finish getting my truck set up to cross state lines without having to get hotel rooms. Come Monday, it's gonna get real.

In the meantime, I'll get DAT and start fiddling with it just in case. I appreciate everybody on here, and it makes me feel like I'm not in this alone.

10. God prefers Diesels

Jun 26, 2020
    South Texas
    Yeah, I've read posts on here about people trying to seriously get granular with it. And I get that. Maybe one day, I'll be doing the same thing. But right now, as long as I cover operating costs and keep Ramen noodles in our bellies, I'll take it. Basically, if I can make money on the load, I'll try to get as much as I can out of it, and then I'm loading up and taking the freight to the receiver. Plain and simple. Thanks for your help, Ridgeline.

Lite bug Thanks this.
  11. Wasted Thyme

Wasted Thyme Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2020
    GOAT watching
    Sometimes you might have to deadhead to the better load. Just factor in the deadhead miles to see which makes you more in the end.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.