Rest area etiquette and what would you do?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Vilhiem, Jan 10, 2015.

1. Vilhiem

Vilhiem Road Train Member

Oct 6, 2014
    Except, I've been on the same page with you guys for a while now. Just getting awfully specific at some point. I do like to play the devils advocate far too much.

Tonythetruckerdude and OldHasBeen Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. yuban

yuban Medium Load Member

Jun 3, 2009
    Between 2 Doors
    You had better have logged that or I am calling your company...

G.Anthony Thanks this.
  4. kidsdad

kidsdad Medium Load Member

Nov 11, 2010
    central illinois
    Here's how I see it, did those drivers actions affect your day, your plans? were you in any way inconvienced in any way by there actions? did their parking put you in danger? if not, then myob.
    This may seem a little harsh, but you must realize that your not the person responsible for policing the actions of other drivers. Many things may contribute to their actions, so many. Do not worry about what they do, do not fall into the habit of expecting others to live up to your expectations, see to your own conduct, let others see to theirs.
    b

5. G.Anthony

G.Anthony Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2014
    What I bolded.

That's right, only the know-it-all 4 wheelers have the the right to police us and tell us what to do and they get all the politicians and other self-righteous advocate groups against us!:yes2557:

6. Vilhiem

Oct 6, 2014
    No worries! I got it! Haha!

7. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    Mr Vilhiem, do you really want to help and make positive changes to the trucking industry? There's only 1 way to do it.
    Lead by your example. People WILL notice when you do things the right way. You're a driver, dress the part. In my line of work, we wear steel toes, long pants, hi vis vests. When we walk in to fuel up, we have the uniform on. No pajamas and flip flops. For the life of me, I can't understand why some grown men dress like teenage girls at a slumber party in public.

I wave at other drivers. I have to. If I'm riding the fog line with my right steer, the left side of my load is at the zipper. No big truck dragracing, I back out of it in a hurry if someone is having difficulty passing. As the driver goes by, I wave. Thanks for sharing the road, friend. I flash my low beams when they cleared me. Smooth sailing.

ive done my homework BEFORE I show up to the shipper. I know the regs, I know the state rules. I am patient. When something happens at a shipper or receiver, I keep a cool head and so the rigging crew or supervisor is usually calm when something doesn't go right. They will call the company and tell them how much they appreciate that driver.

i do pick on waitresses, but I am never lewd. I can spot the rookies in the truckstop, I will buy them a meal. Everyone knows how hard it is to get started when you're in a trainers truck working for peanuts.

basically, whatever problem YOU see, you do it correctly. If parking illegally in the pickle park bugs you, make sure YOU always park in a designated spot.

Luck in battle.

Tonythetruckerdude Thanks this.
  8. TrucKer 999 TriLLion

TrucKer 999 TriLLion Light Load Member

Mar 7, 2010
    Ca
    a few rest area's in Ohio on I70 will have trucks on the on/off ramps also....i took a 10 hour break on the off ramp on one of them twice.........

9. Vilhiem

Oct 6, 2014
    I admit I hate the vests... And I need to work on the bit about shippers.

The rest of it though, I can honestly say I do my best on. ...aside from spotting and buying newbies dinner.

But in short, I think Ghandi said it well. "Be the change you seek."

Also, because I think I've been misunderstood... On the on/off ramps, you're "safer" than where these guys were. In my OPINION. ...I think... Okay, they were more or less parallel parked after the cars and trucks split for rest stops at the trucks entrance. Not the entrance to the rest area itself.

...regardless of if that changes anything, and it doesn't matter if it does, the entirety of the replies, name calling and all have to one degree or another said the exact same two things. Mind yourself more than others, and do what you know is right.

Now that I have a written confession...I'm going to report you. Just for kicks. (Being Completely sarcastic...just in case.)

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.