Retread tire cost

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Dino soar, Oct 19, 2019.

1. Dino soar

Dino soar Road Train Member

Dec 8, 2017
    I was just wondering what the cost would be to have a tire retreaded.

Intothesunset Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. starmac

starmac Road Train Member

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    It varies a little depending on what tread you want, I had a set done a few years ago and Iirc, it was 160 a piece. I ricedit a few months ago and what I waanted or the closest I could get was 176 iirc with my casings, without my casings it was only 50 some odd bucks more for new uniroyal lugs. It was a no brainer.

Dino soar and Intothesunset Thank this.
  4. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    I'd try and find a decent used one before I'd use a crummy recap. Sorry, I peeled enough of those off in my life, because the boss was too cheap to buy a real tire. I never had a wagon of my own, but ALWAYS ran virgin tires on my tractors.

5. Intothesunset

Intothesunset Road Train Member

Apr 15, 2019
    truck
    I just found a dumped LR 24.5 on a steel wheels that looks just fine on the ground. And a used virgin Michelin behind my truck with a small bit of tread that is legal to use as is I think.

FlaSwampRat Thanks this.
  6. Dino soar

Dec 8, 2017
    Well Recaps aren't really my thing, but I have eight Drive tires from another truck that six of them have excellent tread one somehow has cupping on a rear tire I don't know how that happens, and one the tread is just too thin I'm not even sure if it can be recapped.

They are all on good casings like Michelin Goodyear or Goodrich I don't remember, and they're not that old. So I'm trying to figure out whether to get one or two of them recapped or if I have to go buy some used tires somewhere that who knows what I'm getting.

Without buying a whole brand new set there's a lot to think about. Still trying to figure what to do for the steers.

7. Dino soar

Dec 8, 2017
    I'm going to have to come follow you around for a while. I'll have a new set in no time, lol.

8. sirjeff

sirjeff Medium Load Member

Dec 1, 2013
    Kelowna, BC
    ab8fbee1-7a27-4c05-8752-33e2651bc4a1_400x500.jpg

I used to run these Michelin XDS2 caps in the winter (and/or year round, put a fresh set on for winter and run em out till the end of fall - we're hard on rubber up here) They were about $230 usd (converted from cad) when I supplied my own casings. Any other retreads I've used were around the same price (as far as Michelin stuff goes)

One of the best winters' around. But that's another thread.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2019
  9. Intothesunset

Intothesunset Road Train Member

Apr 15, 2019
    truck
    Winter is cooler than summer so not as much heat to melt them. But off topic.

FlaSwampRat Thanks this.
  10. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    Well, steers you always have to bite the bullet, but for drives, there are so many tires in the world, and I pulled a lot of rail wagons ( and crappy trailers for cheap bosses) and I found, it didn't matter what the casing was, they all peeled eventually. Quite frankly, recaps may be ok for certain situations, like stationary trailers, but I think recaps should be banned from the highway. And don't give me the airplane tire thing, which I heard uses recaps. You could never convince me airplane caps have the same technology as truck caps.

11. FlaSwampRat

FlaSwampRat Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2019
    Valrico FL
    At ups they use them on the steer axles on package cars where they can get away without someone #####ing up a storm. They put them on my truck once and it shook like a dog ####ting razor blades once you got over 35mph, turned right back around and made them put new tires on the front.

Shawn2130 and 201 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.