Returning truck at terminal

Discussion in 'Report A BAD Trucking Company Here' started by driver1234556890, Nov 11, 2020.

1. Hey there,
    I put in my two weeks notice recently. I told them I will return truck at their terminal near my home. No objections were made. Now two days before my last day, I will be empty 5 hours away from that terminal, but rather than send me there they are insisting I must take a different load to their other terminal and return the truck 1500 miles from home and go home at my own expense. It's likely that they won't even get me there by my last day and I never agreed to work for them past that because I have another job. This feels unfair and totally unreasonable, other drivers have quit and left equipment at this terminal, I guess it's less convenient for them but I had no idea they would try and force me back out. What is the best thing to do? Pick up load and drive it 5 hours the wrong direction and then leave the truck at their terminal? Drive the truck empty to the terminal and leave it there? I thought it's ok to leave at your company's terminal and that's not truck abandonment. Can they retaliate against me somehow?

Need4Speed and Oddu Rome Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. olddog_newtricks

olddog_newtricks Medium Load Member

Jun 3, 2018
    Do not accept that load no matter what they tell you. Fill your tanks before they shut off your fuel card. Now the arguing starts. Tell them which terminal you are going to . They can get a load going that direction . Stick to your guns you'll get there.

alds, nredfor88, Grouch and 8 others Thank this.
  4. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    this is why, if i ain't said it a thousand times, i said it a MILLION TIMES...

I DO NOT GIVE ANY NOTICE I AM QUITTING.

if you have to get home on your dime,, just park the truck right now, and get home.

5. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Exactly what I'd do. What are they gonna do, fire ya?

6. Cattleman84

Cattleman84 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2017
    The Sticks, Idaho
    Have heard of the cops being called... Company says the driver no longer works for them and is refusing to return thier property as they instructed. Therefore driver is in possession of a stolen vehicle.

Lonesome Thanks this.
  7. mjd4277

mjd4277 Road Train Member

Oct 4, 2015
    Fitchburg,MA
    Also,whichever terminal you go to after you return the truck PHOTOGRAPH EVERYTHING(exterior and interior of the truck and trailer)! Your soon to be former employer might try to withhold your last check (illegal but some companies do try this anyway) for “damages to equipment” but with photographic evidence you can show otherwise in case of possible litigation.

8. jon69

jon69 Medium Load Member

Jun 19, 2018
    Get all your crap out of the truck. Tell them you are going home for earned hometime.

After a week call them up, tell them your wife is sick and bedridden and she needs you to take care of her. Nobody else can do it and you can't return to work.

By this time you should have received your final check. Never go back. Don't answer their calls. Check your DAC a month later make sure it's clean.

9. antoinefinch

antoinefinch Light Load Member

Jan 23, 2015
    Phenix City, Alabama
    AMEN Trucking isn't like other industries and most other jobs aren't like it use to be! Never tell a trucking company you're quitting ! but do return their truck to a terminal, take pictures with date of the entire truck trailer(inside and out{which you should do when its issued to you too}] and thank GOD if you ever get your last check from any of them! What's up with these truck drivers working for 2 weeks in the hole anyways? and some companies are trying to get a sucker to take every two weeks pay! Listen go into trucking with your eyes open dont trust anything you're told by a recruiter! protect your self at all times! document everything! i even take pictures of my Elogs during the day(change my log and I am gonna have proof! this treat you like family thing in trucking is the biggest scam I have seen in my 61 yrs of life! the next one you're a name and not a number! the only number I care about is the amount on my check! you can call me Larry if you want just pay me as agreed on time and for the correct amount! and you can keep your sign on bonus too, Give me the miles and I'LL make my own bonus! CYA Truckers for those that don't know COVER YO ###! In trucking it best to remember Murphy's law if there is anyway for something to go wrong it probably will! Get your money, stay safe and live long and prosper!

10. antoinefinch

antoinefinch Light Load Member

Jan 23, 2015
    Phenix City, Alabama
    thats why I dont tell them #### put in home time and take it there when you go home! thats why I won't drive for a company that doesn't have a terminal in my home state! or within a reasonable distance from home! I always try to drive my own car to orientation also! i have seen what has happened to some drivers having to get there own way home and being stranded far anyway from home! We grown never leave yourself at anyone mercy! always have an exit plan Semper Fi

11. p608

p608 Road Train Member

Nov 10, 2016
    You wouldn't be a very good lawyer.

Shaggy76 and buddyd157 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.