RF ground and RX

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by BTShepp, Feb 20, 2017.

1. BTShepp

BTShepp Blue Demon

Oct 31, 2015
    Chicago, IL
    If I put an antenna on my car roof rack which provides no RF continuity to the vehicle, would it receive just as well as a grounded mount would?

Obviously TX is out of the question.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    think magnetic mount.

4. BTShepp

BTShepp Blue Demon

Oct 31, 2015
    Chicago, IL
    What do you mean? The magnetic mount still has RF continuity with the vehicle, even without DC continuity.

5. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Exactly what I mean, the rack should provide some RF conducting in order for you to receive. There is a potential as long as there is something metal there.

Here is what I mean, if the rack has metal in it, there is a capacitance that is created, even without a direct physical connection, so the rack acts like the opposing radiator of sorts.

BTShepp Thanks this.
  6. BTShepp

BTShepp Blue Demon

Oct 31, 2015
    Chicago, IL
    Interesting. So then some sort of ground is in fact necessary for receive? I always always assumed that the ground was only necessary for transmitting.

7. BTShepp

BTShepp Blue Demon

Oct 31, 2015
    Chicago, IL
    Granted that rack does not provide a good enough ground for transmitting.

8. CW Spook

CW Spook Light Load Member

A ground isn't strictly necessary for receive only, but a properly grounded and tuned antenna will perform better. It's just that an ungrounded mount will result in a high SWR, which will be detrimental to receive, though not to the degree it affects transmitting.

9. craig_sez

craig_sez Road Train Member

Sep 5, 2013
    novascotia,Canada
    weird stuff..I have ground according to my ohm meter but swrs,s and resonance are good and range sucks but im guessing its lack of ground plane..
    Had a fella today on face crack in the stryker 955 page that he gets 40 mi..He runs same radio in same truck with a 7 ft firestick..

10. Meteorgray

Meteorgray Heavy Load Member

Jan 1, 2016
    I always think gas mileage and fish catches when I hear of long-range radio performance.

I'd throw manhood in there too, but this is a family forum.

BTShepp Thanks this.
  11. craig_sez

craig_sez Road Train Member

Sep 5, 2013
    novascotia,Canada
    Well its very very possible to reach out n touch from many miles but its your ant set up that decides that..
    Due to my lack of knowledge i cant quite figure mine out but its getting better..
    I read and watch vids and get help from folks here and a tip now and then from my tech..

Last edited: Feb 22, 2017
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.