Richfield, Here I Come

Discussion in 'Millis' started by Farmer54, Mar 9, 2017.

1. Suspect Zero

Suspect Zero Road Train Member

Oct 10, 2016
    Burbank, IL
    @Goobr54 Hope everything is going good up there. Any news?

Farmer54 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Farmer54

Farmer54 Heavy Load Member

May 23, 2012
    West Bend, WI USA
    Yeah SZ, finished up my first week with a smile. Man, I'm impressed as are my classmates whom I've talked with with "off the clock".

One can only hope they get an instructor like Jamie Caples. He is a laid back dude but stern and strict. Don't be late for his class.

We started the Millis 500 on the second day of class this week and yesterday we were doing the backing maneuvers. Straight line backing, easy peasy, left and right offset backing was easy. That 90 degree back alley dock was so short,,,, I took both allowed 2 pull-ups to use. I haven't tried the right parallel park yet but I know it's coming on Monday.

As is with any terminal, drivers are going and coming, mechanics are keeping the equipment in safe working order,,,,, I have yet to see where anyone you cross paths with during the day that wouldn't smile and say hello. I am impressed.

I tend to get long winded but coming from a jaded 56 year old white boy, I'm impressed and thankful. Every one of of my classmates has said, "I think I made the right decision".

I can drive a truck but the blind side parallel park scare the crap outa me! ;-)

SHOJim and Suspect Zero Thank this.
  4. Suspect Zero

Suspect Zero Road Train Member

Oct 10, 2016
    Burbank, IL
    No worries about the long winded part, I am the same way.

Glad it's going good, thanks for the update.

Farmer54 Thanks this.
  5. Farmer54

May 23, 2012
    West Bend, WI USA
    Late week update. We're on schedule according to Jamie, our instructor. On our second week of training.

This week has been all range time. Pre- trip inspections and back up drills. I'm impressed with the amount of range time we're getting. 15 mins class time in the morning and 15 mins class time at the end of the day.

We got to go out bob tailing yesterday in the snow crap mix of precipitation. That was entertaining! I swear, Jamie has the patience of Job. He is a good hand and anyone would be fortunate to have him as an instructor. Little secret, if you know Jamie or get him as your instructor, call him "Corn Bread". He'll know what ya mean. Lolz,,,

Again, I am so glad I picked Millis Transfer for my career change into OTR driving. Do your homework if you're on the fence about who to go with. It's your choice.

Just sign me,
    Hap E Camper

Suspect Zero and SHOJim Thank this.
  6. SHOJim

SHOJim Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2011
    Columbus, Ohio
    Farmer54 Thanks this.
  7. Farmer54

May 23, 2012
    West Bend, WI USA
    Yep @F150Jim
    Drove to Black River yesterday and met everybody. Greg from Cartersville took us all out to RePetes for lunch. Dave cane out just before we left to come back to Richfield and talked with us. What a class act he is. Peggie is a mess, lol, I met my recruiter Naomi and learned she's a hunter,,,, such a nice young lady.
    If you're on the fence about truck driving schools and you're a fast learner, you ain't gonna go wrong with Millis Transfer. Listen to your your instructor and things will fall into place.
    Did a little FB post a while ago that I'd like to share with you guys.

Not tooting my own horn but i passed all 3 DOT tests today with flying colors. Felt like I was gonna throw up at lunch today I was so nervous.
    Scored 41 out 47 on the Form A inspection, in cab inspection and coupling device inspection.
    Scored 0 "perfect" on the skills test on the test range and scored 13 points "misses" out of 30 for failure on the road test.
    Jamie (our instructor) told Mack (classmate) and me to take tomorrow off but I'm going to DMV if they're open to get my CDL license. Coming back to Richfield to see if Jamie needs any help from me to coach the other guys in our class.
    This is freakin nerve wracking,,,, so many more rules and regulations than there used to be.
    Sign me,
    Hap E Camper

OnTheLevel357 and SHOJim Thank this.
  8. Farmer54

May 23, 2012
    West Bend, WI USA
    Got my CDL license yesterday. Now I'm chomping at the bit to get out there but have the 3 day orientation next week. I've talked with my trainer Jeff Beck, he's a GA boy too and I think we'll be a good fit.
    Looking forward to meeting some of y'all.

OnTheLevel357, SHOJim and Suspect Zero Thank this.
  9. OnTheLevel357

OnTheLevel357 Light Load Member

Apr 9, 2017
    Toot toot lol

Farmer54 Thanks this.
  10. Farmer54

May 23, 2012
    West Bend, WI USA
    Man, how fast this 3 weeks has gone. My trainer got caught in TX with a load to Salem, VA for Thu morning. Best case he'll pick me up in Richfield on Sat but more than likely on Mon.

I've been very impressed with every Millis employee I've met. All the drivers I've talked with don't seem to have a chip on their shoulders. In Richfield, I've seen drivers come in to fuel up and have a problem with their truck/trailer, the mechanics are all over it.

I'm a decent judge of character and have talked with David. He's genuine, I can tell. Had a conference/video call with Black River today over Internet with two big arsed TVs during orientation,,,,, impressed again. Equipment, well maintained, spotless and again, maintained to the T. Helluva lot better than that ole 79 co Freightshaker I used to drive.

I think Millis has it right. Take care of your employees and they'll take care of you. At least for me anyway.

OnTheLevel357 and Suspect Zero Thank this.
  11. keen98

keen98 Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2014
    You know who your trainers dispatcher is? Thats who your dispatcher will be also. Good luck with your trainer hope you get a good one. Cant wait to get up to BRF to get my orientation over with and get back out with Millis.

Suspect Zero and OnTheLevel357 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.