Rig Master APU

Discussion in 'Prime' started by wannaBTrucker, Jul 13, 2012.

1. Chucktaylor

Chucktaylor Road Train Member

Sep 26, 2012
    Lot of complaints about the Rigmaster. Prime's position is if you want to purchase a Tri-PAC from Thermo King, that's up to you, however they won't facilitate or finance the deal. It's roughly $9k.

seems that Prime feels Thermo King owes them a couple million dollars in a dispute that goes way back. They are done dealing with them. Not sure of any details, whatever they are I'm sure Carrier has enjoyed reaping the benefits of our continued Reefer business.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ironpony

ironpony Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2007
    Ask my GPS...
    Which is unfortunate... the rig blaster has always been a POS. I really like my TriPac.

4. Easy Steamer

Easy Steamer Road Train Member

Jul 3, 2011
    Virginia Beach, VA
    I loved my Tripac but now I have one of the new rigmasters, Has a CAT engine. Also has the double fan cold box under the bunk, Freezes me better than my Tripac I hate to say it but it does. Had a few sensor issues but all was attributed to the ground wire block behind the hot wire block being loose. Check both blocks for tightness and check the oil every three days, If it is a new one should be fine, If it is an old one, beg for a new one. Those wire blocks are top left on the rig master when you remove the cover.:biggrin_2554:

25(2)+2 and skellr Thank this.
  5. duhduh

duhduh Light Load Member

Dec 11, 2012
    Western Missouri
    Ask for Basil at the Springfield shop he is nuts about the apu. Fixed mine last fall no more problems. Gave me an ed u ma ca tion in apu. I even got dirty.

25(2)+2 Thanks this.
  6. 25(2)+2

25(2)+2 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 18, 2006
    the road less travelled
    The old Rigmasters had to have the cover on correctly to even run if memory serves, its been quite a few years since we even had any running, they are long gone. Last time I fired one up, I got a couple cups of soot from the exhaust before it quit and the next one never ran right for me, 3 days in the shop and the shop wrote that one off.

The OEM company claims to have fixed the problems, but wash it regularly in the winter and it seemed to help reduce problems. No interconnection with the truck engine and real generated AC power, not simulated with an inverter like on a Tri-pak. I would avoid running it for heat driving down the road if it was mine, and probably even for AC in the summer, the tires kick up lots of dirt and debris you can't even see, and that may be one of the reasons a Tri-pac seemed to have less problems, they wouldn't run if the main engine was running.

7. wanabnmn

wanabnmn Bobtail Member

Mar 25, 2012
    Our rigmaster is not quite 3 yrs old just over 500 hours will not run 2 times in a row. go to the shop it gets fixed(600.00) use it that night will not start again goes through the cycle 3 times codes engine failure. Back to the shop another 600.00 same things over and over again. Mike at Rig master has been very good with sending us to places sometimes covering the cost others not it was determined that it was not properly installed at the beginning but no one can seem to say that it should be corrected they just make shift to have it running for a few hours. Done, it has to go We can go without I can find other ways to spend our money Rig Master needs to do something about this unit get it fixed, replace it or just take it back. any one else having these kind of problems We are going to hang a sign on ours that says JUNK just ask me and I will tell you about Rig Master and I can show you the repair bills.

8. skellr

skellr Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2011
    The Village, Portmeirion
    The new ones have a switch for that also. Someone put a zip tie on it.
    20140628_201021.jpg

25(2)+2 Thanks this.
  9. skellr

skellr Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2011
    The Village, Portmeirion
    Most of the time when the A/C kicks on the motor dies. Shop says the engine doesn't have enough torque and it is a known issue...

I can't sleep when it shakes the truck and the control panel starts buzzing from engine failure. Another straw on the camels back.

10. Highway101

Highway101 Road Train Member

Sep 19, 2011
    Fallon, Nevada
    I had that issue with one on my International, They had to step up the idle on the APU, still only helped about 50% o the time. I finally told my FM they either had to replace it or I was going to have to start staying in hotels or not drive the truck at all as I could not get enough rest. Became a safety issue. They pulled the truck in replaced the APU and all was good.
    Apu they replaced only had 20 hours on it.

skellr Thanks this.
  11. ironpony

ironpony Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2007
    Ask my GPS...
    Accept only the highest quality in APUs... go with TriPac! :biggrin_25514:

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.