rip-off john christner

Discussion in 'Report A BAD Trucking Company Here' started by highasakite, Jun 12, 2009.

1. Trudger

Trudger Light Load Member

Jun 26, 2011
    Beaverton, Oregon
    {Popcorn},

Yes, 3 L/P's, yes I was angry and wanted to take JCT to court, especially after talking with John Christner himself, who in my opinion is a pompous arse. I decided it wasn't worth the waste of my time or money to go after them. I believe that was goes around comes around, he'll get his justice legally one of these days, as will the dumb arse DM that I had.

As far as going home, that was something done rarely, and I even "booked" my home time commitment in advance. I can't help it that my dumb arse DM who liked to party too much, forgot about it. As an "I.C", we are supposed to have that ability. I wasn't given a fair deal or opportunity. I called my dumb arse partying DM on the carpet and that sent things down hill. Once your DM has "problems" with you affecting his bonus, you will pay the price. Like I said, glorified employees as THEY tell you what to do and if you don't, you will suffer until you either quit or they terminate your lease. It's really that simple.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. popcorn169

popcorn169 Road Train Member

Sep 5, 2011
    state of confusion
    Well Trudger I think that you failed 3 times and are looking to put the blame on someone else and not on yourself. You need to go a look in the mirror that is probably the person you need to blame. As far as going home if you are the IC then what prevented you from going home? The way you state it is that you are a IC and did not have that option. There are always options it might have cost you in the long run but always options.

As far as taking them to court I think you realized you did not have a chance in hell and you just did not want to make a fool out of yourself.

4. bigdad7

bigdad7 Road Train Member

Jun 6, 2010
    ks
    I have had issues with leases before but if what he says is true that they cancelled his lp for going home thats dirty just my opinion.....i go home when i want some times i give some notice sometimes i just don,t like the way freights rolling of course i own one truck outright and the other is on terms......never did sit right with me that i had to give notice to go home of course i allways tried to get that turn taking chicken to clackamas and frebch fries ba k to spingfield reset book on way to springfield wash rinse and repeat.....no way to pull that one on elogs now eh

5. casc1

casc1 Light Load Member

Nov 22, 2011
    toronto
    Here is one way to see if you are getting screwed on a fleece ( lease).
    Scenario 1- you hire on with a company with your own tractor.
    Scenario 2- you lease a tractor from the company you are hiring on with.

Now look at the pay rates....if they are different ( as in lease .93 cpm +fsc vs your own truck 1.10 cpm + fsc) you are getting screwed.
    Your operating costs are the same for both ( fuel, lic, insurance) so why do the leases pay less?

The rates should be identical for both, the risk is the same for both.

6. Florida Playboy

Florida Playboy Road Train Member

Dec 19, 2012
    Florida
    He posted a while back that he made his home time request about three or four weeks ahead of time. When the time came his dispatcher "forgot" about it and then pressured him to take a load going the opposite direction of his house. He refused and proceeded to go home and they "terminated" his lease, really fired him. When he talked to upper management they explained there is a clause that basically states drivers are under forced dispatch due to increased demand at certain times. In other words you're a company driver with expenses.

7. drvrtech77

drvrtech77 Road Train Member

Mar 20, 2010
    Couldnt have stated better...you can't be an "owner op" if a company is telling you when you go home...that is a glorified company driver position.. There's a reason why john christner among many other outfits are making out like bandits....

Trudger Thanks this.
  8. bigdad7

bigdad7 Road Train Member

Jun 6, 2010
    ks
    Does jct pay actual o.o 1.10 nope same bottom feeder rate of 90 cpm to haul 3.00 mile crappy tyson loads with no detention

9. Alanp613

Alanp613 Road Train Member

Apr 9, 2009
    Haslet,Tx
    To get the facts straight, u go home when you want. Most dm wants a 2 week notice so they can plan you a load that goes by your house. In trudgers case, he just had the case of a bad dm and from his posts, the way he took care of the problems probably didn't help either. No one says jct is perfect but it sure hell is way better than some of the well known names out there.

10. Alanp613

Alanp613 Road Train Member

Apr 9, 2009
    Haslet,Tx
    You are very ignorant! If you want those 1.10 or higher a miles rates leasing onto a company won't get you that. If you want those rates as an o/o then you better be prepared to pay your own authority, plates, permits, fuel tax, road tax, etc. And if you breakdown you better hope you have enough capital hand to fix your truck or you're sol.

Now if you lease onto a company like I did all those expenses are taken care of. If my truck breaks down, jct will help pay because I have a maintenance account. Even if don't have enough funds they will work me by paying them back at 15cpm. That even if don't have the cash flow I don't have to worry about going bankrupt or my truck can't be fixed.

Steel Tiger Thanks this.
  11. Steel Tiger

Steel Tiger Road Train Member

Jun 6, 2012
    Orlando, FL
    I think there may be some misinterpreted statements on this subject. JCT doesn't tell drivers that they can't go home. There may be situations where there aren't any loads at that time that get the driver to his home area. Big difference. The reason JCT asks drivers to give them a 2 week notice is so they can try to get that driver set up with loads/runs that will get them home with minimal out of route miles. Its a simple courtesy move.

If a driver lives in say, Virginia, and is currently in Florida. Why would you want to deadhead home all that way when you can get a load out of Florida going somewhere west and then do a swap with someone that is going towards Virginia? In that case, you would get paid to get home as opposed to eating the miles to deadhead home 700+ miles and hurt your business bottom line.

In addition, anyone who has been driving more than 1 day, should have the common sense to not solely rely on anyone else to get them home. COMMUNICATE, COMMUNICATE, COMMUNICATE. A simple reminder to the DM that you're due home doesn't hurt. Emails, phone calls to the planners doesn't hurt either.

I've been here almost 5 years and I've only missed my target date for hometime once...and that was only 1 day late which they asked me before hand if I was ok with. If you have plans at home on the evening of the 15th, don't put in to be home the morning of the 15th. Put it in for a day earlier or even 2. You should know by now that freight can be finicky and doesn't always happen the way we would want it to.

Alanp613 and jbizzle Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.