Road check 2017

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Woodchuck88, May 29, 2017.

1. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    That's slightly shorter then the typical fleet spec Freightliner of about 230. That's a manageable wheelbase. Much easier in tight truck stops with that truck than other trucks like a 260 wb

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Pedigreed Bulldog

Pedigreed Bulldog Road Train Member

May 7, 2011
    It isn't that my truck isn't up to par or that I'm not running legal. I just don't have time most days to sit there while an officer goes on a phishing expedition searching for something to write me up for. Getting caught up in one of their clusters when I'm on a tight deadline, then having to deal with delays at shippers and receivers just make it tough to get back home without blowing up the HOS. It is the harassment that I could do without, and so I don't blame anyone for quoting Cartman for a few days.

wore out, Lepton1, AModelCat and 2 others Thank this.
  4. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    I once ran in to a swift driver in Seattle. He came up from san diego. Got inspected at every scale up the 5 during that week.

5. SingingWolf

SingingWolf Heavy Load Member

Sep 14, 2016
    Steubenville, OH
    I get the feeling they were trying to pull the adjusters while the brakes were set. :D

6. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Exactly correct. The only purpose at all for the manual adjustment on an auto slack is for initial brake adjustment after brake components have been worked on (ie shoes and drums replaced).

Only reasons to ever adjust an auto slack:

-Slack adjuster has failed and no longer adjusts correctly. Manual adjustment only to get truck in for repairs.
    -Bonehead who replaced brake chamber cut the pushrod too long/too short or installed the adjuster bracket incorrectly.

A properly installed and maintained system should have a 90 degree pushrod to slack adjuster angle with or with slightly less than 1-1/2" of stroke with no brake drag.

Bo Hunt and Lepton1 Thank this.
  7. diesel drinker

diesel drinker Road Train Member

Apr 10, 2015
    That's what happened to me yesterday.Took me half an hour to cross a scale in Sealy TX.Was really pissed as I had 3 deliveries to do and I don't get paid for this ####.
    Would be super cool if everybody just refused to drive during their blitzes.

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  8. wore out

wore out Numbered Classic

Jun 5, 2013
    CHASIN THE DEVIL'S HERD
    All this talk of measuring. There is a wear indicator in the middle of the pads. If the gap has a vee shape your good. If its all square then have the shop do a break job.

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.