Road test in doubles? New driver.

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by coastietruckin', Apr 5, 2018.

1. coastietruckin'

coastietruckin' Light Load Member

Dec 28, 2015
    Southern NJ
    Sounds good. I'm sure they have the latest warehouse/inventory tech that they use on the job. What I use in the military with forklifts and whatnot is probably ancient history compared to their equipment. I went back to the trucking school yard today to practice my pre-trip, AB test, and maneuvers. Got those skills all ready to go for Monday. Talked with the yard manager, and she said I'll do just fine. She heard that ups is hiring big come June because of all the work they're getting, so I'm hitting the hiring just right. And then, wouldn't ya know, I get a call this afternoon from a local gas hauler that I put an app in for. The TM wants to bring me in for a sit down even though I'm green. I believe their drivers are in the 65-70k a year range.

I tell ya, using my GI Bill to earn my CDL 2 yrs ago is really paying off right now. If I didn't have this in my pocket, I would be really stressing my departure from the service right now. It's a great thing knowing that I have good employment opprtunites out there waiting for me.

Sho Nuff Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Sho Nuff

Sho Nuff Road Train Member

Apr 9, 2015
    Meh...I wouldn't say they're forklifts are better than anybody else's. Diads (hand held scanners) are a little bit ancient too. This is how you'll communicate with dispatch. Don't know if they got the smaller versions yet. But yeah...good luck on which ever you choose.

One thing about Jersey... there's an abundance of job opportunities that you can choose from. I would also check out ODFL and Estess too. Both are located around your area and they train new students too. Same with FedEx Freight, which is also around your area, but the one in Delanco is known to have junior guys sit at home a lot during slow periods.

coastietruckin' Thanks this.
  4. coastietruckin'

Dec 28, 2015
    Southern NJ
    Ha, hand held scanners! I'm still using paper logs in the warehouse I work in on my base. Our laptop with the scanning software broke about 2 years ago, and we haven't been approved to get a new one since, lol. As a result, we hand record all packages rec'd. It's stone age. And our forklifts are broken half the time, haha.

I'm halfway between delanco and pennsauken, so my area is perfect for trucking jobs. I went on OD's website, but they didn't have any postings for the pennsauken terminal. Ive talked with some of their p&d drivers, and they seem very content with thr job. Didn't check out estes/Cowan/R+L or some of the others yet. The gas hauler job is with Coraluzzo out of paulsboro. They haul alot for Wawa. I had also stopped into New England Motor Freight, and the manager there was willing to bring me on for weekends right off thr bat leading up to my discharge date. But their terminal was TRASH. Plus, I did a little research on their company, and they've had prior legal troubles being connected to the mob, which really isn't a big surprise, especially for jersey. Also found out that the owners daughter is married to Paul McCartney from the Beatles.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2018
    Sho Nuff Thanks this.
  5. Sho Nuff

Apr 9, 2015
    Cowan I'm pretty sure doesn't hire new drivers. NFI in Burlington does. R+L may have a dock to driver program. Estes is known to have a training academy, so check them out on their website OR go in person and talk to the TM. Same with ODFL...go in person and talk to the TM. I personally think Estes or ODFL is a better choice. You'll make just as good as you would with UPSF and not have to struggle with the low starting payrate. I'm not trying to discourage you in anyway from UPSF...because you have a tremendous opportunity here. Coraluzza I think is part of Torrissi, and yeah...they deliver a lot to WaWa. Don't know they're payscale but from what I heard...they make good money.

6. coastietruckin'

Dec 28, 2015
    Southern NJ
    Roger that. I went to ODFL in person, same with pitt Ohio and a couple others, and they just referred me to the website. Some places still allow the face to face introduction, and others I guess are embracing 'the future', being that you apply online first and all that.

Over a period of 10 years, which one do you think is a better move? UPSF/OD/Estes? Which one do you think has better security, or would they all be pretty much the same? OD isn't union, which I wasn't really big on anyways, but knowing that you have a pension check at the end of 25 or 30 years is a nice pece of mind.

Sho Nuff Thanks this.
  7. Sho Nuff

Apr 9, 2015
    It's hard to say. All three are good. UPSF you'll have free healthcare, pension, 401k and discount company stock options...currently. Not sure what it'll be in they're new contract. Estes doesn't have free healthcare, not sure about ODFL either...but as far as atmosphere and turnover rate... they're drivers seem to be much more happy with the job compared to UPSF. NEMF...yeah, they're equipment is garbage from what I've seen.

Decisions...decisions. I think most people would want to have your problems...lol.

8. coastietruckin'

Dec 28, 2015
    Southern NJ
    Brother, let me tell you, I needed this ray of sunshine. I've been going through so much crap lately, having some positive stuff happen has really picked me up. I really do feel blessed right now. Just gotta get through the road test! Lol.

Sho Nuff Thanks this.
  9. AZ Pete

AZ Pete Medium Load Member

Dec 27, 2017
    There’s nothing to pulling doubles. I started my driving career pulling doubles. Just ignore that back wagon dancing around, it ain’t goin nowhere.( you shoulda seen how they’d dance going down I5 in Oregon back in the early 90s.)
    The REAL trick is BACKING doubles.

10. Sho Nuff

Apr 9, 2015
    Good luck. Let me know if you need any help or hit me a PM. I work at USPS now and Military Vets are treated like gold here. But I'm not gonna encourage you to work here because it's crap shoot on how long it takes to turn Fulltime Regular.

11. coastietruckin'

Dec 28, 2015
    Southern NJ
    I really appreciate it. Thank you for the info and knowledge you've shared with my questions. I'll def hit you up if the need arises.

Sho Nuff Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.