Road test vs Maneuverability Test

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Diab33tus, Jun 17, 2013.

Which is harder the road test or maneuverability test

1. *

Road Test

1 vote(s)
    9.1%
  2. *

Maneuverability Test

11 vote(s)
    100.0%
  1. Diab33tus

Diab33tus Bobtail Member

Nov 27, 2012
    Lansing Michigan
    Which test is harder in your opinion, the on the road test or the maneuverability test?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Ezrider_48501

Ezrider_48501 Road Train Member

Apr 2, 2011
    bismarck, nd
    whats a maneuverability test?

cetanediesel Thanks this.
  4. BrianE

BrianE Light Load Member

Mar 9, 2013
    Livingston Texas
    I think he means the skills test. Parallel park, etc. They are both easy if you prepare.

5. Pmracing

Pmracing Road Train Member

Jan 28, 2011
    Arlington Heights, IL
    Can't vote. I passed both first time...

But if I have to pick one, road test. More variables when driving with real traffic.

Mikeeee

6. Ezrider_48501

Ezrider_48501 Road Train Member

Apr 2, 2011
    bismarck, nd
    i guess i always just thought of them both being part of the road test. back when i took my test i passed both first try.

i think which would be hardest would be based on the individual. and what area they are more skilled at. most new drivers probably have a harder time backing than driving

7. gearjammer1978

gearjammer1978 Light Load Member

Apr 22, 2013
    West Palm Beach,FL
    I thought the pre-trip inspection was the worst of the three because it requires memory where the other 2 require skill. But if I had to pick manuevering - vs - road test, probably manuevering. I mean I've got it down and about to pass my test this week but i've seen plenty of guys bomb it.

8. Pmracing

Pmracing Road Train Member

Jan 28, 2011
    Arlington Heights, IL
    The guys that can do the skills, then fail at test time are the ones that let nerves take over adding to their lack of confidence. Don't do that!

Mikeeee

9. 379exhd

379exhd Road Train Member

Jun 25, 2012
    rolling through hell
    The road test was family simple actually. I didn't think that was too bad at all the skills test on the closed course that was a royal pita. I had more miles driving around cities and highways practicing than I did backing and what not so the road test was easy. What practice I did have backing was bumping abandoned docks in small towns hit all them just fine got to the skills test and guess my depth perception is 2" off. I did my alley dock and seen him marking points out of my mirror after I was done got out walked back and half the width of the DOT bumper was past the cone...I blamed it on the wind he laughed. Didn't help that I practiced my backing at the 43ft mark and slid my tanedms all the way up for the road test and wasn't used to the trailer reacting. But it all comes with time. That cost me a lot of points on my skills test and now its not that bad. I've put it in some tight spots before here's a couple places I've been and didn't have a problem. I'd rather back in a tight spot than a place with 10 ft on each side. As you can probably tell by the pictures I've attached. Pathetic thing is it took me 2 minutes in the first picture and 1 pull up took me 5 and about 4 pull ups in the 2nd picture. I was directly under the chute so I blame poor design on that elevator. My dad backed in and loaded first it loaded on the side wall of his trailer so I decided to get a little closer to the middle and it about cost me a mirror.

2013-03-12_14-10-53_280.jpg had about 4" on each side at this place to load pipe and its a 90 degree in with a 48spread.

IMG_20130522_125835_656.jpg about 4ft one each side if it would've been where my dad was. 43ft closed tandem trailer on this load.

10. DirtyBob

DirtyBob Road Train Member

Sep 2, 2010
    Indiana
    I passed both the first time but I'd say I was more worried about the skills test. Especially when I got there and realized we were doing it in a big mud pit basically. I got stuck in a mud hole twice doing the parallel. Nothing like having to having to back at a pretty high throttle when you didn't know what you were doing.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.