Road Test

Discussion in 'Swift' started by highway666, Feb 20, 2018.

1. highway666

highway666 Light Load Member

Feb 14, 2018
    San Pedro, CA
    What kind of road test do they do for recent grads? Is it anything like the DMV road test, and how long will the trailer I’ll be pulling be?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. jaxwinner

jaxwinner Light Load Member

Sep 6, 2017
    Barton Arkansas
    For whom are you testing? I assume a conventional with a 53 ft trailer. My yard guy did an around the block on off the interstate and a 45 degree back into the transfer dock which u promptly failed but I didn' hit anything and took the 5-6 tries to straighten it out.

4. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Seriously?

How LONG the trailer you will be pulling be?

REALLY?

austinmike and CrappieJunkie Thank this.
  5. Moosetek13

Moosetek13 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2010
    Burnsville, MN
    The trailer is 53', like any trailer at Swift (for the most part).

My road test was simply driving around the block and back in to the terminal, and then backing between two trailers.

The final turn around the block before I turned into the terminal was the tricky one.
    I needed both lanes to make the turn without hitting the curb, and it was during rush hour. Heavy traffic.
    I had to wait several minutes for traffic to clear the street long enough to let me make the turn safely, all the while holding up all the cars behind me.
    The instructor was impressed with my patience and refusal to make the turn before I could do it correctly. Many have failed because they didn't simply wait, and the ran over the inside curb.

Then you back into a spot that the instructor chooses, and it will be a bit tight. (but not as tight as many truck stops I have been in)
    Unlike the DMV test, there is no limit on pull ups or getting out to look. But if you do not G.O.A.L at least once you will fail.
    If you simply lined up badly you can go back around to try again. Again, no penalty. And it is to your advantage when you do that if needed, because it simply shows that you are being careful.

Never be in a hurry to do things, or think that it will make you look bad when you take your time to get things right.
    Swift is more concerned about being safe, at all times, than doing anything quickly.

taodnt, Rollr4872 and highway666 Thank this.
  6. CrappieJunkie

CrappieJunkie Wishin' I was fishin'

Mar 9, 2014
    In a van down by the River.
    I was thinking the same thing. The OP will fit in just fine at Swift.

7. Moosetek13

Moosetek13 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2010
    Burnsville, MN
    So you thought an insult to the OP was appropriate?
    Jerk.

JOHNQPUBLIC and HotH2o Thank this.
  8. CrappieJunkie

CrappieJunkie Wishin' I was fishin'

Mar 9, 2014
    In a van down by the River.
    1) I don't see it as an insult. I think it was a fair point.

2) Why are you saying anything to the first person that made the insult? Go after him. Why are you singling me out for?

3) Honestly, don't care about your opinion.

4) By calling me a jerk you are insulting me and calling me names. So, you would be just as guilty as me.

5) So, because I could escalate this and get banned, but I don't want to, I am just going to leave you wuth this: Thank you for your opinion and have a nice night. Be safe in your travels driver.

Moosetek13 and austinmike Thank this.
  9. fairshake

fairshake Road Train Member

Oct 4, 2010
    Chickenville, BFE
    When you are new at anything all the details matter, it’s actually a #### good sign most might not even care. Those would be like all the super billy big riggers that were born with a million miles

JOHNQPUBLIC and x1Heavy Thank this.
  10. HotH2o

HotH2o Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2012
    Bunyan Springs, Colorado
    Because he’s more than likely blocked by Heavy and can’t see his post. Heavy is a #####. He can dish it but can’t take. He’s more sensitive than a chick on her period. Dummy told me he was blocking me because I told him something I said went over his head after he insulted me.

A21CAV Thanks this.
  11. Powder Joints

Powder Joints Subjective Prognosticator

Sep 25, 2007
    Rosamond, SoCal
    I am always amused when other drivers throw stones at SWIFT, Over the years I have seen lots of things, But never have they been committed by at company, always seem there was a driver involved.

Over the last 5 years or so SWIFT has been contracted by Rite-aid for their store deliveries (now under contract to CR England).

They have been running the 14/5/405 freeways thru rush hour, had numerous occasions to watch them back into stores such as Westwood (which is pulling into an alley between a phone-pole and a building then having to back across a busy street into the loading dock) I'd have to say I've seen absolutely no problems with their drivers or equipment.

Even when I was running Vegas, Mesquite it was not SWIFT that drove like jerks and idiots ... So I really don't get drivers throwing stones when they really need to examine there own driving.

Rollr4872, x1Heavy, ladr and 1 other person Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.