Roadmaster

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by dixiebikr, Jul 9, 2008.

1. Taino

Taino Light Load Member

Aug 18, 2009
    Central, FL
    # rich_t:
    Aye, I know who pays for it at the end.

Us, the people. We ALWAYS for pay it one way or another. But it does help at times, when you don't have the $$$ at that moment.

# reasy:
    Lucky for your group/class.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2009
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. rich_t

rich_t Road Train Member

May 28, 2009
    United States

Sorry... My comment came off a tad harsher than I intended. But I have bit of a pet peeve about government grants in general.

4. himbamcky

himbamcky Bobtail Member

Nov 29, 2009
    Has any drivers experienced Roadmaster in Columbus, Ohio? I have an enrollment appt. Tuesday there. The admissions rep was really friendly and explained to me about the school, job placement, pre-hire, and other misc stuff. The only problem I have is cost of tuition, DOT physical, and travel costs. Are there any loans for this even a student loan I could apply for?

5. teddy_bear6506

teddy_bear6506 I'm Vintage

May 23, 2009
    Between Valhalla and Hades
    I attended RM in KCMO and now have a bill with them for $6495.00 for my Class A permit. You have to decide within the first week if you believe you can pass the tests and you will sign your paperwork at that time, stating you will be responsible for the total. Mind you, the first week you are in the classroom and have no idea what the training will be like. Make sure you tell them you want a copy of every single piece of paper you sign and anything else they are putting in your file. I was told I would receive copies of everything when I got my license. I never got my license and I have no copies of anything I signed. I even wrote a very detailed letter to their headquarters in FL, and it was determined that I did owe for the training received. I wish you the best of luck if you decide to attend their mill. There was no mention of any type of assistance when I applied. The only mentioned to me was that if I could pay $2000.00 out of pocket then get my own financing the cost would only be $4495.00. I wish I had an extra couple thousand just lying around at that time, or even now. None of these mill/schools care that much about truly working with you to get the needed training, unless you show high promise of passing, then they will work well with you. Those who are struggling get left behind, because they know they already have your money and if you don't pass, no biggie, they will send you to a collection agency.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2009
  6. himbamcky

himbamcky Bobtail Member

Nov 29, 2009

Thanks for the info! If you don't mind I had another question. I've been reading that Rm requires you to put down $150 for the DOT physical and drug test. Is there any truth behind that? Or does it depend on the different terminal?

7. Lastat '95

Lastat '95 Bobtail Member

Oct 18, 2009
    Raleigh , NC
    Himbamcky...

You need to look into community colleges around you to see if any offer CDL training classes. I went through a community college and got my cdl. I got eight weeks of training for less then $800 and i also got 12 college credits,so if i ever go back to a college for anything i already have some credits.
    The school i went to was a great school (NC Truck Driver Training School.) The instructors worked with you every day to help you with what ever you needed help in. They even worked every day with the ones who every one knew was not going to make it, trying to get them to make it.
    Hope this helps you out a little just do some more homework before you sign any papers.

8. The Challenger

The Challenger Kinghunter

Dec 22, 2007
    East Central FL
    Question for you RM grads. I will be attending in late December # Orlando location. I already have my DOT physical and permit. Will I have retake all of these?

KH

9. teddy_bear6506

teddy_bear6506 I'm Vintage

May 23, 2009
    Between Valhalla and Hades
    We had to pay for it out of our pocket, and if I remember correctly, it was around $80. I believe it depends on where they send you for your physical and drug test.

I really thought I had done my homework on all the different schools, but I really wish I had known about community colleges that offered the training. They may have taken longer, but I believe the training would have been better and the cost not nearly as outrageous as the mill schools.

10. Taino

Taino Light Load Member

Aug 18, 2009
    Central, FL
    No worries and sorry about the late delay. I am working and been on my training weeks. Still got a week or left. Just home for Christmas and be back out on the road on the 28th till the 5th.

11. beaualbcpd191

beaualbcpd191 Bobtail Member

Nov 27, 2009
    topeka,ks
    I am at the Roadmaster School in Kansas City,Mo. I think the school is okay they are running all new trucks and one 1998 yard truck. Besides that the trucks are 2008's and run great.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.