RoadMasters Tampa, FL

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by Houndguy, Oct 18, 2018.

1. Houndguy

Houndguy Bobtail Member

Oct 10, 2018
    I already posted a review up under the "Schools" section for them. However I thought I should post it here as well.

Please don't misunderstand me, I'm generally glad I went there (starting my 3rd and final week Monday) but I have some issues that I think need addressing and people thinking about going there need to be aware of.

1) INCONSISTENT INSTRUCTION: Every teacher is going to have their own ways of doing things. One will be better than another, however take something like filling in your log book. There is absolutely no reason (NONE) why Instructor A wants it done differently than Instructor B. Those are DOT requirements and should not be subject to the will of who ever you have for that day.

Sadly this inconsistent instruction is across the board. I've yet to hear instructions twice from any instructor. That's kinda scary.

2) WASTED TIME: This is only a 3 week class and due to a variety of reasons we've had people only do ally backing once. That's it. Now I understand that equipment breaks down. But where is there backup?

When you do get out to the pad, if often takes them about 10 to 15 minutes to get organized. Things it missed, or not discussed at all. They had a instructors meeting that lasted 45 minutes while we could not even do PTI because another class was out on the road.

I'm not joking.

3) JOB PLACEMENT!!! - frankly is a joke. They will place you with Werner. They will go through the process of placing you with US Express or Swift, but they are all but owned by Werner. I had the job placement head told me that if I looked outside of the 3 or 4 companies they work with, that they would not help me.

They were really pushing Werner and in particular the Dollar General account. If half of what I've heard about that account and Werner is true they should be avoided at all costs!!!!

That being said, I do think that they have prepared me for my new career. I do think an extra week of training however is not a bad thing. I also do think that there are a few there that really do care and want to create good drivers.

I just think that for 7K, it should be run better.

Molonlabe Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    So which company did you choose; Abilene?
    Don't let the company do the job placement; do it yourself and you'll be much better off.

4. Houndguy

Houndguy Bobtail Member

Oct 10, 2018
    That's my number one choice. It does appear that I'm going to have to go OTR for a bit. If worse comes to worse I'll take Werner.

Frankly, at 52, I don't want to be treated like a number or worn down. A few truckers I know have frankly told me I choose the wrong career. I'm just burned out on the exiting world of being a cubicle dweller. Time for something different!

5. DSK333

DSK333 Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2018
    Pennsyltucky
    You definitely won't be doing many easy 8 hour days that's for sure. Also, many of these beginner companies will have you on a rotating swing shift for as long as you can take it. Do your absolute best to not hit anything. Not even a small pole. And stay as safe as possible. After you have a year or so in you'll have a clean record and will be able to go anywhere. Also, local jobs will open up for you too at that point if you choose to be home more on a better schedule. Use this site to your advantage. Utilize the search function often and if you can't find what you're looking for after that you'll have a group of grumpy old truckers that will argue a point until it's as smooth as a bowling ball available to help you.

6. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    You didn't choose the wrong career; it's a good career.
    Try to do 6 months with Abilene, then switch to a local job.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Edit : Estes Express has a facility in Tampa; maybe they'll give you a chance since many linehaul companies are now hiring a few new cdl grads, when until recently they wanted at least 12 mos. experience.
    Are you near Tampa?

Last edited: Oct 19, 2018
  7. Houndguy

Houndguy Bobtail Member

Oct 10, 2018
    I don't think I choose a wrong career. It's just about 180 degrees from what I have done before.

Chinatown Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.