Rocker switch warning icon not lighting

Discussion in 'Peterbilt Forum' started by Loaderlou, Sep 10, 2017.

1. Loaderlou

Loaderlou Medium Load Member

Feb 24, 2014
    hi everyone. I have a 2003 379 pulling an east dump trailer. I have my dump valve for my trailer suspension tapped into my rocker switch hot line. Recently I have lost all the little green lights that warn you that the switch is in use and when I apply the dump valve, it no longer activates the trailer. Tractor works fine, air over air, trailer is electric over air. Any ideas? Maybe change that section of harness?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. dumptruck89

dumptruck89 Light Load Member

Feb 27, 2015
    MA
    I would pull the dash section were the rocker is and make sure you have power to the switch. On the switches I believe there is separate power and ground wires to make the lights work, make sure there all hooked up still.

4. Loaderlou

Feb 24, 2014
    Hi 89. Thanks for the comeback. I've pulled that panel off and checked those wires so many times, I'm surprised they're still intact. Each plug has 4 wires to it. One hot, one ground, one switch light, and one to the green light, which indicates the switch is in use.the switch light works when my running lights are on so that tells me that plus the ground are working. I think there may be a problem in the harness since that's all that works on all 4 rockers.

5. dumptruck89

dumptruck89 Light Load Member

Feb 27, 2015
    MA
    Well if you have power at the switch, then start following the wires and see if it's broken somewhere. The switch could also possibly be faulty, you could disconnect the wires and check continuity across the switches terminals just to make sure it's still good.

6. Loaderlou

Feb 24, 2014
    Thanks again 89. All the little green icons are not lighting up. I guess I'll have to take my time and follow the wires back to where it's hot and replace what's bad. I'll let you know what I find

7. Loaderlou

Feb 24, 2014

8. Loaderlou

Feb 24, 2014
    Just talked to a friend of mine who is in the scrap business about my problem who just happened to have a similar problem. He recommended checking the fuses. He said fuses are made of aluminum and aluminum contains zinc for strength. After a while the zinc bleeds out of the aluminum and causes oxidation.i changed every plastic coated fuse and low and behold, I got everything back, lights, gauges, everything functions normally. Happy days.

Roberts450 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.