Roehl CDL Training in Appleton, WI

Discussion in 'Roehl' started by RCrollin75, Aug 19, 2016.

1. RCrollin75

RCrollin75 Bobtail Member

Aug 6, 2016
    Maryland
    Hello everyone...getting ready to do my physical next week and get my permit. My recruiter said I will be doing my CDL training in Appleton, WI. Anyone out there been through the CDL program there? If so, how were the instructors, facilities, etc.? Also, how does Roehl get you there and what hotel do they put you up in while in training? Thanks for any info and or advice.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ChrisL

ChrisL Light Load Member

Jul 10, 2008
    Clermont, FL
    I had orientation there over a year ago. Stayed at the Comfort Suites. (3809 W Wisconsin Ave, Appleton, WI 54914) I was a pretty nice place.

Fairly new(ish) terminal.
    6915 County Rd BB, Neenah, WI 54956
    Fire up google maps and take a look via street view for a closer look.

Roehl arranged a rental car for me since I was in Illinois. Depending where you are located, it could be rental, bus or air.

RCrollin75 Thanks this.
  4. RCrollin75

Aug 6, 2016
    Maryland
    Thanks Chris for the info. Strange thing though, my recruiter told me that they would only pay me mileage to drive up in my own car? Maybe things have changed. I thought for sure they arranged travel for new recruits.

It is a hike for me to drive as I am in MD. Not that I am opposed to driving...lol, just don't prefer to put that much mileage on my personal vehicle. Maybe I will fly up.

How was the training? Are you still with Roehl? Curious how your experience has been thus far. Hopefully they pair me up with someone my age or close in the hotel. I am 41 and not sure I want to bunk with a twenty something...lol.

5. ChrisL

ChrisL Light Load Member

Jul 10, 2008
    Clermont, FL
    When I was there, My instructor was Bill. He was pretty cool and laid back. Appleton as a whole is much more laid back than at the headquarters of Marshfield. I was there for a bit as well and you could see a big difference between the locations.

Head man is Claude. Very nice man.

I'm not with Roehl anymore. (I'm at Abilene Motor Express) My wife had some health issues come up while I was out with a trainer and had to leave. Roehl treated me pretty good. No complaints what so ever. Just do your thing and keep focus on the prize and you'll be just fine.

Hopefully someone with more recent experience will chime in regarding Appleton.

RCrollin75 and Texnmidwest Thank this.
  6. RCrollin75

Aug 6, 2016
    Maryland
    Thanks again for replying Chris. Hope your wife is doing better and good luck at Abilene Motor Express. I have been in aviation much if my life, so this is a big change for me in some ways and in other ways, they are very similar.

Looking forward to getting started. Thanks again.

ChrisL Thanks this.
  7. Texnmidwest

Texnmidwest Light Load Member

Mar 6, 2015
    Claude just recently retired but that whole crew in Appleton are great people and I still consider friends. If you are getting your CDL through Roehl that is done through Fox Valley Tech School. Great place and great training. Very nice hotel and OK food. One of the guys in my orientation class was from MD and they had him rent a car and drive over. Same with a kid out of Indiana. I think you will be well pleased with Roehl training and the company as a whole.

lucasheart, RCrollin75 and ChrisL Thank this.
  8. freenow

freenow Bobtail Member

Oct 6, 2009
    North Freedom, WI
    I agree Fox valley tech, is a very good school. Be careful, Roehl is like every other large company. They just want a warm body in a seat. Fox valley is only there to get you your CDL. Once you graduate and are on the road with a instructor you WILL find out what trucking is all about. So many things you will not learn is school. Their are so many rules and regulations today in the trucking industry that keep you from making the money you think you will make. And parking these days are a joke. There are so many trucks on the road today. If you don't get to a truck stop by 3:00 pm in the after noon, most truck stops are FULL. I drove refer for Roehl, there is so much time wasted sitting and waiting to get loaded and unloaded when driving refer. We were in Springfield MO waiting for 26 hours for a pre loaded trailer that was never pre loaded. Any how that is just one small piece of trucking. GOOD LUCK.

9. RCrollin75

Aug 6, 2016
    Maryland
    TEXN...I appreciate the feedback, but is it really that bad? I am not doubting your experience, but then again I am not looking to get rich in trucking. My goal is to make a decent income while doing something I believe I will enjoy. While there is good and bad in anything, I believe it is also what you make of it. I have seen a lot of negative on this board, bit also a lot of positive as well. So how is a new guy supposed to filter through all that is my question??

Sharps5090 and Puppage Thank this.
  10. Texnmidwest

Texnmidwest Light Load Member

Mar 6, 2015
    RC, take it for what it is. From my experience a lot of the "problems" I see others have with companies (Roehl included) start with the guy in the driver's seat. One man's dream company can be another man's nightmare.

After you have done your research and narrowed things down a bit.....trust your gut. Remember, it won't be a bed of roses everyday or every week. That first year or so is a roller coaster. Hang on, learn and be professional. It will pay huge dividends later. Whether still with Roehl or with other companies.

Good luck!

RCrollin75 and ChrisL Thank this.
  11. RCrollin75

Aug 6, 2016
    Maryland
    TEXN,

Thx for the encouragement. I just realized, I meant to reply to "freenow's" post. I agree that nothing will be a bed of roses for sure. Been around long enough in the aviation industry to know thats true. I have done quite a lot of research and just wantto make sure I am making the right decision. Some folks on here make it sound like these companies are all liars and you never make close to what they promise.

I understand that no company can guaruntee your pay because of so many other variables, but I would hope that you can make close to what is stated as average. Some have said that their pay at Roehl went down to 200-300 per week....I can't live off that for sure. Don't want to leave my current gig only to find out 2-3 months later that my pay went down significantly.

Just some of the things that have me doubting my decision to make this career change.

Texnmidwest Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.