Roehl Get Your CDL Program

Discussion in 'Roehl' started by GatoTrucker, Jun 10, 2016.

1. GatoTrucker

GatoTrucker Bobtail Member

May 28, 2016
    Alabama
    Hello all. Just an aspiring trucker here looking through my options on what path to take to start a trucking career. I've been very interested in Prime before, though now Roehl has my attention. Lots of good things with Roehl that I like (hired on day 1, $500 a week, get CDL from home state (which is Alabama for me), lodging provided at least, things like that). Just wondering who is/was going through the program and how was it? They have a training spot in Atlanta, which is 3.5 hours from me, so driving my own car there won't be a problem. Are meals provided too or are they on me? I would think if they pay me $500/week, I could pay for that. Any insight on Roehl from those that are going through the program now?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. TB John

TB John Company Shill of BYOB & CBD

Dec 28, 2008
    Don't go to school broke, It'll be 2 weeks before you see your first paycheck

firemedic2816 Thanks this.
  4. avenger79

avenger79 Medium Load Member

Sep 13, 2010
    WIS
    agree with TB I wouldn't show up without your own resources.

as far as the orig question, I am currently slated to start the get your cdl program with Roehl.
    they have been very understanding so far, Was supposed to start a while back but was in a no fault car accident. they adjusted all my dates.
    I believe she said 2 meals a day were provided. have a roommate in the hotel with you. you can pay extra to have your own room. I started to go that route but theen realized I'm gonna share a truck with someone for 3 weeks might as well share a room for 3 weeks as well.
    current start date is mid July.

5. Bbierce

Bbierce Bobtail Member

Jun 6, 2016
    I received my CDL through there program in 2006. I drove personally up to marshfield wi where their home office is located. If I remember properly I had to pay for my own place to stay but they have super discounted places for their students. You pay for your own food too. But that was 10 years ago so it may have changed. But all in all I have nothing bad to say about them they are a good company considering I live in Florida. I worked for them for a year and a half.

TB John Thanks this.
  6. GatoTrucker

May 28, 2016
    Alabama
    Thank you everyone for all of your replies! I just feel like I'm more sold on Roehl from all I'm hearing about them, was just needing as many opinions as possible from the people working for them. If anyone else can chime in, that'd be great. Oh, and I don't plan on coming to school broke. I'm gonna have my own bankroll coming with me.

TB John Thanks this.
  7. Kyle G.

Kyle G. Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2016
    Eastern Iowa
    I went to their training in marshfield, wi. The instructors up there were great, I loved it. Not sure how that compares to the Atlanta facility, but I'm sure the instructors down there are just as good. They all have to follow the same standards after all. They did not pay us during training back then, but that was 2012, I'm pretty sure they have made lots of changes since then.

All in all I pretty much agree with the others, great company to start with. I recommend getting into a dedicated account with them, they have several good ones but you have to ask the recruiter about them, they don't always post openings.

I don't know much about prime, but they seem to have a lot of good reviews on here, so either way you can't go wrong. Whichever company you go with, make sure you stay with them for at least a year, to get the experience. If you decide you want to move on after that, you shouldn't have a problem getting a job anywhere. Good luck!

8. Bfennell

Bfennell Light Load Member

Jun 21, 2016
    Indiana
    Considering Roehl. Gary terminal but probably not til September

9. Kyle G.

Kyle G. Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2016
    Eastern Iowa
    Gary terminal has undergone extensive renovations and expansion in the last few years. I have heard they were trying to shift most of their training to that location.

10. PAPADDY

PAPADDY Bobtail Member

Jun 26, 2016
    I went through the program (Appleton) in March-April. Last 3-4 weeks depending on whether you pass everything first time. I was looking at Prime and Roehl too. Prime makes you train longer (though it's all on the road), and they advance you money during training which I think was 8-12 weeks. You are correct that Roehl hires you day 1, and they are very safety oriented and good about home time.

All meals are provided. Rooms are nice - you'll have a roommate.

If you haven't applied with Roehl let me know and I can refer you. If you last 100,000 miles, I'll get $800. I'll split it with you. Excellent company as far as training companies go. I don't think you'll be sorry.

11. GatoTrucker

May 28, 2016
    Alabama
    Thanks a lot! So how long until you see that first check from training? I'd love for you to refer me. I haven't made a concrete decision yet, but for now, Roehl is at the top of my list. You still drive for them? And they of course provide the rooms?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.