Roehl Honor Program

Discussion in 'Roehl' started by JBELL327, Apr 28, 2007.

1. rumandcoke123

rumandcoke123 Light Load Member

Feb 21, 2008
    everywhere, usa
    JBC,

That is a rookie mistake:

#1) getting disturbed while in rest mode, wakeing up in a panic, thinking you are late. 6:30 am can look alot like 6:30 pm during most of the year. Now that driver did not say if he continued driveing or if he stopped at the next truckstop and parked the truck. But by moveing the truck that driver was forced to record it on his logs. He then probably called his training DSR who tagged him for a log book violation. Yes Virginia, new drivers do make mistakes.

#2) Parked along the side of the road at the shipper. Not all shippers/consignees have parking available. Roehl has a tendancy to want you to stay at the shipper/consignee. See the problem here? Do you see the problem here? Read it again. Now do you see the problem??? So now the rookie driver is forced to make a choice, He already has 1 log book violation and if he moves the truck he will have a second so he makes the choice to stay there. Next morning he calls his training dsr and the conversation goes something like this:

Driver: Good morning DSR

DSR: Good morning driver

Driver: well i made it to ABC company last night but the gate was closed and I was out of hours.

DSR: So where did you park last night.

Driver: Behind all the other trucks that were parked out on the street.

DSR: Umm that is in violation of our policy

Driver: Yes I understand that, I am chooseing to not work for Roehl because I am a substandard preformer.

JBC and all you other trainees,trainers, and vets can easilly find yourself in a similar situation very quickly. Becareful what you say to your DSR they are not helping you in any kind of way, More like wannabe lawyers who are ready to convict on what you tell them. No matter how trivial the matter may be. I have seen the most minor violations turn into a death sentence, with the driver sitting there shakeing his head saying what the heck just happened.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. You can get your idling bonus if you can keep your % down to what is required, but you do not qualify for any of the other pays like detention.

4. jbc

jbc Light Load Member

Sep 6, 2007
    Eastern US
    Rumandcoke,
    Bob (the poster in question) got fired after less than two weeks. He's not telling the whole story here and probably won't or he risks losing what little support he's been shown. He's only telling what he thinks might make Roehl look like the bad guy and him the victim.

Roehl cut their losses early rather than endure his continued mistakes.

5. Unka_D

Unka_D Light Load Member

Jan 19, 2008
    The Open Road, USA
    What is a "newbie mistake"?

It's another word for "brain cramp"!

Having read several post here regarding what appears to me to be a serious lack of planning and judgement on the part of a former driver I just have to ask...

In my opinion, what has been detailed so far isn't holding up.

First we have the logbook violation that if the driver had even taken the time to double check his clock could have been avoided. Pre-trip anyone??

Secondly, parking on the street is in actual fact frowned on by ROEHL. However, there are shippers and receivers where that is the only parking available and you must park there while waiting your turn to load or unload. ROEHL is aware of this and that in and of itself isn't a violation.

We aren't told when the appointment was or if the driver was actually trying to be early and got himself into a situation where he was out of hours and had no option.

What this is telling me is that the driver just wasn't using good judgement and in a misguided attempt to save time actually ended up hurting themselves.

Now, add the fact that he was in EVO III and on a "developmental board" and you start to get the picture. In EVO III you're placed under a microscope and every action is watched. What they are looking for there is how a driver handles different situations and the judgement they exhibit.

Too many "newbie mistakes" and the driver is let go. The two mistakes related thus far aren't suffecient to get a driver terminated but they are grounds for considering remedial training or counselling.

There's more to this than meets the eye....

6. ic40oz

ic40oz Light Load Member

Apr 4, 2008
    SA
    This is a post that I have found in another thread. I figure that people who are on the Honor program, like evolutioncalling and others can actually confirm this..

"Yeah. And Mav makes sure they get 40 hours a week, too. The guy said Mav wont let you get overtime :biggrin_25513: .

Now that I'm looking into it, Arrow may have been another good choice. Roehl seems to have been a good combination of training and drawing some GI Bill. Perhaps with the on-the-job GI bill benefit, It would work out to be about 825.75 extra per month for the first 6 months. I particpated in the kicker, so my rate would be 938.25. Or 234.56 tax free per week. # .35/mi that would be appx 670 miles per week or 2681 mi/mo..... Actually, more because of before taxes. And if I could do their 7/7 or 7/3? That wouldn't be too bad because they are still considered full time.

I will try to see if I can get that OJT pay for the training I will receive regardless of my employer."

NOW, is that part true? Does doing the hometime plus program with Roehl on the honor program still pay full GI BILL?? curious about this.. Thanks

7. evolutioncalling

evolutioncalling Medium Load Member

Jan 19, 2008
    Atlantic Beach, FL
    To draw the GI Bill you must have 150 working hours a month. From my understanding of the Hometime Plus (from talking with hometime drivers), they run you hard essentially running your hours our for the week. So, if that's the case I can definitely see you being able to clear 150 in the period of a month.

8. ic40oz

ic40oz Light Load Member

Apr 4, 2008
    SA
    okay, this is what another person wrote about this whole GI BILL thing. Evo Calling, you say that you are able to use your full bennies if you work more than 150 hours a month. That is very easily done no matter what plan you are running at Roehl. 7-4/7-3, 7-7, 14-7, ETC.... SO... this statement is false. I'm just trying to get some facts straight is all..

9. evolutioncalling

evolutioncalling Medium Load Member

Jan 19, 2008
    Atlantic Beach, FL
    The problem is people that have no idea what they're talking about start chiming in.

10. ic40oz

ic40oz Light Load Member

Apr 4, 2008
    SA
    Yes, people tend to jump to conclusions based on what their mind "thinks" should happen.

11. Robbvious

Robbvious Light Load Member

Jun 25, 2008
    JanesVegas, WI
    Hidee ho, neighbors. I'm new to this board, and just wanted to chime in on Roehl's Honor Program, with a point that may help some of you out when considering the leap from military to civilian life.

If you are retiring from the military, you should consider moving your state of legal residence to one of the states that do not tax your MIL retirment pay. Now, if it were me, and I was going on Roehl's Honor Program, I would forego the salary and be paid mileage, use my GI Bill, and not pay any state income on my retirement check. That way, it'd likely pretty profitable even on the 7/7 or 7/3-7/4 program.
    There are quite a few states that don't tax MIL retired pay that you may want to look into:

Alabama, Alaska, Florida, Hawaii, Illinois, Kansas, Kentucky*, Louisiana, Massachusetts, Michigan, Mississippi*, Missouri*, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina*, Ohio (tax year 2008, Oregon*, Pennsylvania, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Washington, Wisconsin and Wyoming.
    (*With conditions)

YMMV, good luck!

Baack Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.