Roehl lies to vets

Discussion in 'Report A BAD Trucking Company Here' started by kam0914, Mar 23, 2008.

1. truckinbiker

truckinbiker Bobtail Member

May 6, 2006
    northern michigan
    Kam0914, First, I like to thank you for your service to this country. I am a vet, along with 5 of my brothers. 2 of which have passed on. I have posted on this board about the lack of backbone in the trucking industry, and it still exist today. I got my cdl, and went to drive for TMC. I gave them 110%, did the job and did it very well. During the orientation, they would tell how it was all gonna work, once we get our own trucks. They were just blowing smoke. But my opinion is the trucking industry has been allowed to treat drivers like second class citizens, because the drivers lack courage, pride, and refuse to stand up for themselves. And they are not used to those who will. This treatment is just part of our society now, see how the bush admin treats our Vets. This should have our blood boiling. But we now live in the land of the cowards.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. bassman

bassman Bobtail Member

Jun 2, 2007
    Homeboy,quick question? How much tine did you spend at Roehl before you left? I also work for Roehl and am going to quit because of the lies and the inefficiency.They have thier hometime programs, but they don't abide by them. I've been with them for 5mos. they have gotten me home on time twice. I have had many other problems that I won't go into. And brfore everyone thats pro Roehl starts making exuses for or sahs its my fault, just so they know I'm not a24year old youngster. I retired with 30 years from a Fortune 500 Company. I have been around the block a few times.

4. whydontchahey

whydontchahey Light Load Member

Nov 9, 2007
    Ohio
    I'm currently on the 7/4,7/3. And I must say. I'm on the verge of bankruptcy. It's a shame that I leave my family for 7 days at a time and can't clear over $500 aweek. I made more money delivering newspapers($600-$700 a week). I' ve been at roehl around 6 mon. and I'm averaging
    $1800.00 a month.
    And Yes,I have considered the 11/3. But for one thing,thats just too long out for my wife to take. Plus there is a chance that I won't make any more money. My second trainer went from regional to national.He made less money running national. He has since left the company.
    I love this job. But I must really consider looking for another company. A lot of times it seems Roehl just doesn't have the miles for there drivers. Everyone has generally been great here. But I can't lose my house because people are nice.
    I need to get paid a wage that equals the sacrafice of leaving my family. And 4 something a week is not it.:biggrin_25513:

5. CMoore2004

CMoore2004 Road Train Member

Nov 2, 2007
    OTR
    How are you not making at least $500/week takehome on the 7/4-3 program? Most people on that program say they will drive 2500-2900 miles and run their 70 completely out in that time. I don't know if you're van or flatbed, but Germantown, OH shouldn't be a place where you can't get loads from and to. How many hours do you typically have left of your 70 when you get home? Are you van or flat? How many hours are you willing to run per day?

6. whydontchahey

whydontchahey Light Load Member

Nov 9, 2007
    Ohio
    I would easily run 500 to 600 miles a day if Roehl had the freight. Only twice in 6 mon. have came close to using my whole 70. I run van.
    As you know the 7/4,7/3 launches on Wed and Sat. So I will have one good check a month.The launch days totally conflict with the Friday noon central scan in times. My good week is when I roll out on Sat.The rest are only 1000 to 1500mi scans.
    I do have the family insurance with dental. That over $80 a week out of the checks. And with the $500 decutable per person it is useless. I can't afford to go to the doctor to use up the decutable.
    I am going to call benefits and try to cancel the insurance, I've been told they won't let me do that. So we will see. That would account for and additional $320 a month.
    Like I said.. I love this job. And Roehl has been pretty good. But for example... I've been sittin 24 hrs now waiting for a load. Roehl doesn't have the freight.
    I don't want to go back to delivering newspapers. It's pretty sad that a newspaper carrier is making more than me.
    So I will try and cancel the insurance. I will also call some others companies to see whats out there. But I can't go back to newspapers.

7. CMoore2004

Nov 2, 2007
    OTR
    I'm not sure why you're not seeing much freight. I haven't sat more than 1/2 hour with flatbed. The other day they had a load they wanted me to pick up right after I had my ETA set on the load sitting on my trailer. I was looking forward to spending the day in Las Vegas, but ended up driving so I could get to the yard early, take my 10, and be able to do the next load. I ask around when I'm at the terminals and I haven't heard too many people complain about the lack of freight. There was one driver last time I was at Gary who said he was only getting 1500-2000/week. One of the newer guys was worried that was going to be him and asked why some people just don't get the miles. My response was the obvious one--too much complaining to the dispatcher or not making the appointment times. I'm not trying to say that either of those are you, that's just why the typical driver won't have the miles. That Friday scantime does kind of suck. I'd rather see a system where we get to the consignee, send in our empty call, and see the money in our bank account. I screwed up my paperwork and was using my ComData cash advance every chance I got. I e-mailed my paperwork and my files were too big, so the emails were rejected. I got them scanned at the terminal and finally got paid for them this morning, so at least I can eat again. The week before--a whopping $150. Not their fault--mine. Live and learn, I guess.

8. MO family man

MO family man Heavy Load Member

Oct 31, 2007
    Nunya, MO
    I gotta ask did you really take home between 31 and 36 thousand a year delivering papers? If so why did you leave to drive a truck? Was the paper bit an everyday job year round? I hear people who say they aren't getting miles and I am puzzled. It isn't rare to have a lousy week or two here and there but systemic low miles is usually the result of something else. Two culprits are a lack of communication to dispatch ie you have a load that is a drop and you plan to deliver a day early, let the man know so he can update the system for you. The other is regrettably the guy holding the wheel. I don't know your particulars so don't take it wrong. Are you hustling your loads along? Really? Are you calling customers to see if they will take it early? Are you using your hours efficiently? are you sure? Self evaluate. Be harsh on yourself and find the wasted time, I am sure there is some there. Also be realistic, the economy is down thus freight is down. It will come up I promise you that. As sure as a recruiter for another company is telling you they have miles to spare, rest assured Roehl's recruiters are telling their drivers the same thing.

9. CMoore2004

Nov 2, 2007
    OTR
    Delivering papers can be good money. My aunt and uncle do it, but they don't get any time off unless they can find someone to do their run. They're always tired because of their schedule, but they make a living off of it.

10. bucksandducks

bucksandducks Medium Load Member

Mar 29, 2007
    WI
    It sucks to hear that guys are having a tough time. My miles are down from last year also. I'm still making decent money though. I'm averaging about 3200 miles a week on 7/7 this year. For the previous four years I was averaging 3500. Freight is "soft" for everyone right now. Even Rick Roehl said that the next year is going to be tough during his speech at the awards dinner. I don't think it is going to be better at any other company. I have heard that flat is doing better than van. That being said I was deadheaded twice from the twin cities to Marshfield last week. Usually I pick up shingles at one of three customers or steel at another. They kept me moving though, a lot of companies would not have ate those empty miles. It just depends, in some areas freight is good, others not.
    One way to be more efficient is to sleep at the customer. If I get jerked around I don't have to start my 14 hr until I get loaded/unloaded. If I sleep at a truck stop or terminal then I have to start my day when I leave. Its not always possible but it can really help. I don't recommend sleeping in NYC but I have on a few occasions. About a month ago I delivered in Long Island. I got in there sunday night and slept at the customer. The traffic was light and I found the place pretty easy. I was unloaded the next day and away I went to CT after rush hour. If I would have slept in NJ or PA I would have left at 3 or 4 in the morning and fought traffic all the way there.

11. MO family man

MO family man Heavy Load Member

Oct 31, 2007
    Nunya, MO
    never would have guessed it paid that well.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.