Roll off rail length

Discussion in 'Waste Removal and Garbage Truck Driver Forum' started by DANL, Aug 1, 2019.

1. DANL

DANL Bobtail Member

Jul 29, 2019
    Does the rail need to be longer than the bin? Can I haul 22ft bins on a 20ft rail? Assuming weights are 80% of max, and uniformly loaded. It will shift the COG back a bit, but enough to be dangerous? I wont get as steep a dump angle when unloading, either. Am I missing anything else?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Mach

Mach Light Load Member

Nov 19, 2017
    Knoxville Tennessee
    Whats the set up on the truck? Single axle or tandem? how much over hang is there from the rear wheel to the end of the rail? Is there an under ride bumper there or not? If the rail ends right at the back wheel then you could get away with a 2 foot over hang. If the rail extends several feet past the rear wheel, then the extra 2 feet will possibly be illegal with out proper under ride bumpers and reflectors. Also if there is too much weight past the rear axle, you may run into an under weighted front axle and or over weight rear axle. Again knowing the trucks configuration will better help in answering your question.

In a broad sense though, yes you could haul a 22ft bin on a 20ft rail. Whether it is legal is determined by configuration.

4. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Trash bins are never uniform.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

• Draft saved Draft deleted