Roll Off Trailer

Discussion in 'Waste Removal and Garbage Truck Driver Forum' started by CharlieK, Mar 10, 2017.

1. CharlieK

CharlieK Medium Load Member

May 13, 2015
    Minnesota
    I'm talking about a roll off semi trailer, not a pup trailer...

Does anyone here pull one? Not one that will hold a 40' box, I mean the ones that will carry a 24' box with very little overhang. As far as I'm concerned, this is the most worthless trailer ever designed!

Somebody show me how I'm wrong please?

With how short the trailer is, on 5 axles, I can only gross 70,000 lbs, unless I got a really long truck, but... because it has a close tandem, in front of the pivot (yes, it has a stinger), you will never get the box far enough ahead to get the weight off of your trailer axles. Add in the fact that a roll off often shifts weight back when loading... Your over axle before your over gross anyway!

Yeah, I'm just blowing off steam! =) Think I'll be cutting this stupid thing up for scrap before too long and getting a trailer that can actually handle a 40' box, and have a spread axle.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. street beater

street beater Road Train Member

Apr 18, 2014
    cold as hell, MN
    I ran a 2 axle pup at 80 k....

CharlieK Thanks this.
  4. dca

dca Road Train Member

May 31, 2011
    Earth
    its just getting enough weight per item thrown in it,

5. CharlieK

May 13, 2015
    Minnesota
    This is true, unfortunately its generally out of my control.... unless I'm filling it. I guess my point is, this trailer isn't much better than having a regular roll off straight truck.

yeah, but... I'd like to be able to do it legally, without being on the phone all the time checking where the portables are! =)

6. street beater

Apr 18, 2014
    cold as hell, MN
    Is it a pivot dolly 4 wheel or a pintle hitch tandam standard?

7. CharlieK

May 13, 2015
    Minnesota
    Its a standard semi trailer, just short.... pulled with a tractor with a wet kit.

street beater Thanks this.
  8. street beater

Apr 18, 2014
    cold as hell, MN
    Well theres your problem! I had a standard cable roll off, with a dolly pivot trailer

9. dca

dca Road Train Member

May 31, 2011
    Earth
    if you get paid by weight may as well get something you'll be over weight with

10. CharlieK

May 13, 2015
    Minnesota
    Well, when I agreed to buy it, I was under the assumption that it haul a 40 foot box. When I realized it wasn't, I figured screw it, I'll be able to use it anyway. But now, I want to cut it up, and throw it in the box that would normally be on it!

dca Thanks this.
  11. dca

dca Road Train Member

May 31, 2011
    Earth
    offer a 40 and a 24 ?

my experience with roll offs is when I have a project going on, I pay a flat rate for 3 days, as well as fees for items such as a refrigerator. it's been awhile since I've used one. can't say much else. on the matter.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.