Roll Off Trailer

Discussion in 'Waste Removal and Garbage Truck Driver Forum' started by CharlieK, Mar 10, 2017.

1. CharlieK

CharlieK Medium Load Member

May 13, 2015
    Minnesota
    I don't really do roll off work. The roll offs are mainly for me to haul my own scrap iron from my welding/manufacturing shop. Occasionally I'll haul stuff for others, but its always scrap iron. If this trailer would have been what I thought it was, I would have built a 40ft long, 80yd box... and a couple of 40ft long, 30yd boxes for myself. And then I would have built a couple of 40ft long 60yd boxes that I would have hauled scrap for a buddy that hauls a lot of scrap with regular roll off trucks. If any of that makes any sense at all!

dca Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. dca

dca Road Train Member

May 31, 2011
    Earth
    Sense? yes it does, I got it

CharlieK Thanks this.
  4. c-cross

c-cross Bobtail Member

Jul 22, 2015
    I'm with you on the 80yd and 60 yd, but 40ft seems too long for a 30.

What brand is your little trailer? Benlee? We have some Benlee super minis with adjustable stingers that are great for tight spots. For the 80's we use an Ace brand frameless. Even though the trailer is frameless, I'm still grossing 53k with an empty 80 on my back.

CharlieK Thanks this.
  5. CharlieK

May 13, 2015
    Minnesota
    My trailer is a Galbreath, its just like the Benlee super mini, except I'd have to measure, but I'm pretty sure my trailer axles are a little farther forward. I can see your point that its great for tight spots, but, you may as well just use a straight roll off truck! Or not? Do you have scenarios that the super mini trailer is better than a straight truck?

Your probably right on the 40ft 30yd... I'm not positive that I'll do that yet. We'll see when I actually do get my trailer, what I end up building. The reason for that thinking was to have a very, very, low loading height box. The scrap iron going into it weighs up fast, so I don't need, or want, much height.

Thanks for mentioning the Ace frameless trailers. I'd never seen, or heard of them. I didn't know a frameless roll off existed!

Edited to add: I really wanted a trailer with a 10' spread, but... with the weight savings of the frameless, now I'm not so sure! Lots to think about! I have to spend more time looking at their website, but I'm guessing its not possible to do the frameless... with a spread?

Last edited: Mar 12, 2017
  6. c-cross

c-cross Bobtail Member

Jul 22, 2015
    Yeah, I'm thinking that a spread isn't possible with frameless. The Ace's work very well. Both axles stay on the ground while dumping and with the twin lift cylinders it's very stable. I recently dumped a load that had me grossing just over 94k where I was a tad off level. There was a yard worker watching to see whether the whole load was sliding out making sure it didn't get stuck in the nose. It made me a little nervous, but taking it slow I handled it safely. Without the stable trailer design this wouldn't have been possible.

CharlieK Thanks this.
  7. c-cross

c-cross Bobtail Member

Jul 22, 2015
    A 40ft 30yd would certainly give you a low loading height. What about just a regular 20yd? I haul scrap metal so I understand what you mean about the weight getting up there quickly. I've come in with a 20yd of carbon steel busheling that had me at 98,800.

You could put that 20yd on the long Ace. The stops at the front are adjustable so that you can run different length cans and still keep them centered. You might have to weld on some more strap ratchets depending on the location of the factory ones.

CharlieK Thanks this.
  8. street beater

street beater Road Train Member

Apr 18, 2014
    cold as hell, MN
    Can you add butterflies?

9. CharlieK

May 13, 2015
    Minnesota
    Adjustable? Or using the removable stops?

10. CharlieK

May 13, 2015
    Minnesota
    What do you mean by butterflies?

11. street beater

street beater Road Train Member

Apr 18, 2014
    cold as hell, MN
    Im looking for a picture, they are flip up box stops that lay over the lift cylinders when not in use, and flip up and slide forward into a lock slot when in use. They mimic the horns

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.