Roll Off Trailer

Discussion in 'Waste Removal and Garbage Truck Driver Forum' started by CharlieK, Mar 10, 2017.

1. street beater

street beater Road Train Member

Apr 18, 2014
    cold as hell, MN
    And with a stinger a chain can be used for rear tiedown

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. CharlieK

CharlieK Medium Load Member

May 13, 2015
    Minnesota
    Ahh Yes, I know what your talking about... I had those on an older hoist...

street beater Thanks this.
  4. street beater

Apr 18, 2014
    cold as hell, MN
    We called em butterfly wings, as when they are up, they look like dainty little wings...

CharlieK Thanks this.
  5. CharlieK

May 13, 2015
    Minnesota
    Yeah, I had a those on an older hoist, nobody could figure out what brand it was. I've since 're-manufactured' the hoist, and didn't put them back on. Also, forgot all about it, but I did make and install some for a hauler a few years ago. Just trying to find a picture of it, but aint having any luck.

6. street beater

Apr 18, 2014
    cold as hell, MN
    Right! I used to see pics with em up and visible all the time. All a sudden i cant find one #### pic! I did see some that you can put behind any roller, but they dont look storable

7. c-cross

c-cross Bobtail Member

Jul 22, 2015
    Using the removable stops. The ace I use most often only has removable stops. It has three positions for them. One has fixed stops at the end and then has tool boxes that carry the removable stops for the other two positions.

8. c-cross

c-cross Bobtail Member

Jul 22, 2015
    Oh, and on the earlier question of how a super mini is better over a straight truck.

It can get into some spots that our 6 (might only be 5?) axle straight trucks have a hard time with because of turning radius. Being able to jackknife the tractor and trailer can also be an advantage.

Because of the bridge laws and the heavy empty weight of the straight trucks, you can scale a tad more weight with the tractor and trailer. At least you can in NC.

As an owner op, I like the versatility of having a tractor with a wetline as opposed to a rolloff truck. I pull company trailers and can hook to our rolloffs, end dumps, walking floors, lowboy, and clamshell. There are other trailers that don't require the wetline but I know you get my point.

Rolloff trucks are also pretty expensive, right? I've never priced them, but with that point I know that the trailers are expensive also.

So, basically, depending on what you're doing, the tractor and trailer can have an advantage. But most of the time the straight truck is just as good and I imagine (I've never driven a straight truck) easier and faster to operate. A lot of it probably comes down to preference and your individual needs.

CharlieK Thanks this.
  9. CharlieK

May 13, 2015
    Minnesota
    This should be what your talking about... funny, that I can't find a real picture though.

stops.JPG

10. street beater

Apr 18, 2014
    cold as hell, MN
    Thats them, theres a company local that has the horns and 2 sets of those on most of their trucks

CharlieK Thanks this.
  11. abyliks

abyliks Road Train Member

May 2, 2010
    ludlow MA
    Holy hell, with a 2012 Pete glider with a 63" bunk and a ESPM double 48' spread with two empty 30 yd cans I was 44k

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.