Roofmount A/C

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Chipperrr, May 4, 2020.

Roof mount A/C install job

1. Easy

4 vote(s)
    57.1%
  2. Hard

3 vote(s)
    42.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Chipperrr

Chipperrr Light Load Member

Nov 27, 2018
    Who has put on a roof mount AC on a Kenworth W900? I am going to do it in a couple weeks and I looking for any advice before I get into it.

Were there any supports up in the roof ?
    I really don't want to take the headliner down if I don't have to.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. TheLoadOut

TheLoadOut Road Train Member

Nov 6, 2019
    I hope this thread gains momentum as this is something I've wanted to do to my W9 as well but I was hoping for some input, and every time I see one with a roof top a/c unit he's always going the other way. Plus is there a disadvantage if you have a sleeper roof fairing as well?

Chipperrr Thanks this.
  4. Wasted Thyme

Wasted Thyme Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2020
    GOAT watching
    Have you thought about using a mini split instead? O/o or company truck?

Chipperrr Thanks this.
  5. Chipperrr

Nov 27, 2018
    I have thought about doing a mini-split AC and quite honestly I think it would be cheaper. The only reason I don't is I have a top bunk and I want to leave it so when my kids come with me they have somewhere to sleep. I just don't know where else to mount it with it still being there.. Any ideas?
    QUOTE="TheLoadOut, post: 10319117, member: 285598"]I hope this thread gains momentum as this is something I've wanted to do to my W9 as well but I was hoping for some input, and every time I see one with a roof top a/c unit he's always going the other way. Plus is there a disadvantage if you have a sleeper roof fairing as well?[/QUOTE]

6. Chipperrr

Nov 27, 2018
    Hey man I'll let you know cuz I'm going to do it one way or the other quite honestly Auto on these trucks is bad on the engines especially the older ones and I have a generator that I mounted inside of a box on the back of my sleeper and that thing runs on 2 gallons of gas about every 15 hours

7. Wasted Thyme

Wasted Thyme Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2020
    GOAT watching
    Well the mini split inside unit isn't that big. Might even could put it under the bottom bunk. Then I'd make myself some custom duct work. To bring it up to both bunks. Could use some large pvc pipe. The outside unit could be secured to the back wall of the cab. You'd just need a large enough hole for the hose to fot through.

Chipperrr Thanks this.
  8. Snailexpress

Snailexpress Road Train Member

Apr 28, 2014
    Rocky
    IMG_20200504_180020807[1].jpg Split system blower is only 9 inches wide. No problem to mount it above upper bed.

tommymonza, Chipperrr and Wasted Thyme Thank this.
  9. TheLoadOut

TheLoadOut Road Train Member

Nov 6, 2019
    I currently have a window unit and a generator. I made a nice window shelf, painted to match the truck, and looks all clean when set up, but the roof top always interested me, hard part is finding someone who knows what they're doing and can do a clean job.

Chipperrr Thanks this.
  10. Chipperrr

Nov 27, 2018
    I'm pretty sure all you got to do is cut a hole in your roof 14 in by 14 in run the electrical wiring and that's it

roshea Thanks this.
  11. Chipperrr

Nov 27, 2018
    What size mini-split is that? I've never seen one that was that small honestly I could definitely do that and I could still put my bunk up during the the day cuz I don't use it as a shelf

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.